Furminator

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Mickle » September 4th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Its a 40 blade on a rake! A 40 blade is a surgical blade. Its pretty much razoring off the top coat and some of the undercoat. Its dangerous and destroys coats. The only time its acceptable to be used in grooming...imo..is when you are doing carding cause for that you use a 40 blade in your hand. The furminator and knock offs are ridiculous andI wont promote them in any way. The best way to remove the fur is to use a slicker brush then a comb and if you have a short coated dog a shedding blade.FURMINATORS SUCK!! IMO
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 4th, 2008, 4:58 pm

is it the same for cats? You can't even tell that I removed any hair from Faye! lol

You can definately see it with Merlin though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » September 4th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Alyssa, do you think the fake-furminator would be good for Astro's butt? I cut the fur with a scissor when he first arrived and now I can put a brush through it. But that double coat is very lumpy underneath.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » September 4th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Lumpy as in "matted" or lumpy as in clumps of undercoat?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Mickle » September 4th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Joyce: you can get a dematting rake and then use a comb on Astros butt...If the matts dont come out that way then you should proly take him to a groomer and get them clipped out. Thats what I would do.

Yes I would say its the same for cats. I have seen them furminated and they end up looking pretty crummy. Not to say that your cats do..ppl tend to get carried away and really mess up the coats. I would seriously stick to a Slicker brush and a comb. Those are the tools I use for cat grooming.

Sorry about the negative feedback on this thing..I have just seen to many furminations gone sooo horribly wrong. I would rather ppl know and make a decision based on what they heard over using it and finding out the hard way! :)
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » September 4th, 2008, 8:17 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Alyssa, do you think the fake-furminator would be good for Astro's butt? I cut the fur with a scissor when he first arrived and now I can put a brush through it. But that double coat is very lumpy underneath.

Well, I use the furminator on my Labs, but sparringly. :wink: I try to do it before we go dock diving, but certainly in moderation and, on average, only once every other month or so. :dogRun:

Opinions will certainly vary, and I have had two clients who got carried away with it and hurt the skin :sad2: (which can happen with just about all grooming products :rolleyes2: ), but that is few and far between. 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby iluvk9 » September 4th, 2008, 9:40 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:Well, I use the furminator on my Labs, but sparringly. :wink: I try to do it before we go dock diving, but certainly in moderation and, on average, only once every other month or so. :dogRun:

Astro is my newly adopted Golden. :) Not a Labradork.

Marinepits wrote:Lumpy as in "matted" or lumpy as in clumps of undercoat?

Lumpy as in I cut the long hairs with a scissor and now there are white thick pieces that look like cotton balls. No knots, I either cut them all out or brushed them out.

I can take a photo of his a$$ tomorrow. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pocketpit » September 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Joyce: you can get a dematting rake and then use a comb on Astros butt...If the matts dont come out that way then you should proly take him to a groomer and get them clipped out. Thats what I would do.

Yes I would say its the same for cats. I have seen them furminated and they end up looking pretty crummy. Not to say that your cats do..ppl tend to get carried away and really mess up the coats. I would seriously stick to a Slicker brush and a comb. Those are the tools I use for cat grooming.

Sorry about the negative feedback on this thing..I have just seen to many furminations gone sooo horribly wrong. I would rather ppl know and make a decision based on what they heard over using it and finding out the hard way!

Thank god there are other people in the world that hate those things as much as I do :) I bought one before I knew it was a blade on a handle and got rid of it shortly after it arrived. I get more hair out with a shedding blade or an undercoat rake (depending upon who's being brushed) or a combo of the two and do it without breaking their coat. If you have a dog that sheds you absolutely can not beat a nice forced air dryer for dogs blowing coat. They are so worth the couple of hundred dollars they cost. I simply could not live with a coated dog if I didn't own one.

Joyce, if Astro's butt is truly matted then you should just have them clipped out and start fresh (unless they are not too tightly matted in which case a dematting tool will help). After that regular brushing (done properly) with a slicker brush will keep the undercoat from matting or brush his butt with an undercoat rake on a regular basis. That "lumpy" feel they often have is from dead undercoat accumulating and eventually it ends up actually forming matts.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 4th, 2008, 11:37 pm

What is a slicker brush? and a rake?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » September 4th, 2008, 11:45 pm

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » September 5th, 2008, 12:52 am

It's already been said but I'll throw in my two cents, the furminator is just a 40 blade with a handle and it can be dangerous in the wrong hands. People waaaaaaaay overdo it and their animals end up with a really crummy looking coat. Sorry to say it but for cats rakes are really the best way to go. If your cat has mats then get one of those mat combs that has tiny razor blades on it and ONLY use it on the mat. It will cut the mat out without pulling the cat's skin.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » September 5th, 2008, 4:54 am

There is a memeber here, screen name escapes me, has an AmStaff named Grant and a Malinois named Harry, she's used the Furminator on Grant, with success I believe
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » September 5th, 2008, 5:21 am

Malli wrote:There is a memeber here, screen name escapes me, has an AmStaff named Grant and a Malinois named Harry, she's used the Furminator on Grant, with success I believe

Aimee (Obnarb)...I love her Harry stories!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » September 5th, 2008, 5:33 am

Astro will eat the groomer. :) I will just stick with shedding him out, with a brush and comb.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » September 5th, 2008, 3:27 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
Malli wrote:There is a memeber here, screen name escapes me, has an AmStaff named Grant and a Malinois named Harry, she's used the Furminator on Grant, with success I believe

Aimee (Obnarb)...I love her Harry stories!

thank you! and so do I :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Vertigo » September 15th, 2008, 12:12 pm

I'll chime in to say the real furminator doesn't do much on Montgomery's fur. There's nothing for it to grab it kind of just combs him. (if that.) I think I can pull more fur out with just petting him while he's shedding.

So what's the consensus for the best thing to use?
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » September 15th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Vertigo wrote:I'll chime in to say the real furminator doesn't do much on Montgomery's fur. There's nothing for it to grab it kind of just combs him. (if that.) I think I can pull more fur out with just petting him while he's shedding.

So what's the consensus for the best thing to use?

Depends on the animal and the coat.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » September 15th, 2008, 2:01 pm

Vertigo wrote:So what's the consensus for the best thing to use?

For a pit-type coat, or Lab, I've had the best success with a rubber curry-comb like the Zoom Groom. I use it both during the bath and after they are dry. If you have a force dryer/blower, that works REALLY well with the Zoom Groom.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » September 15th, 2008, 2:46 pm

I like using a curry comb/brush, the same you'd use on a horse. It's plastic like the Zoom Groom but has smaller "teeth" to it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » September 15th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Oh, Beast got one of those from Liz's Inara and he LOVES it. His eyes actually roll back in his head and he almost purrs... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health