For those of you who have worked in shelters/kennels...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » September 3rd, 2008, 10:48 am

Okay, so Nemo was delivered last night....he's been a kennel dog....well, his paw pads are very sore...does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to help him feel better? He's in a crate now, so I don't have to worry about more damage...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 am

There's a cream, I believe it's called Musher's Cream or something like that. It was developed for sled dogs for their cracked and sore pads. I've heard of others using Tiger Balm also.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby maberi » September 3rd, 2008, 11:02 am

I would be careful with Tiger Balm if any of the wounds are open. That stuff would burn to high heaven if it got into an open cut
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 3rd, 2008, 11:17 am

Musher's Secret. Awesome stuff. Bag balm/udder cream would work temporarily if you can keep him from licking it off.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 am

Riggs' feet were a mess when I got him. I just washed them really well and then dried them very well, then left them alone. They were fine in a week.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » September 3rd, 2008, 11:26 am

Very cool...Michelle, I'll try to keep them clean, etc...it's tough with a dog that has NO obedience...and with whom I don't really have a bond...he's a sweetheart, though...so I don't think I'll have a problem...

Can I get the Musher's secret at petco or petsmart?

ETA I did put bag balm on this morning...
Last edited by katiek0417 on September 3rd, 2008, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 3rd, 2008, 11:27 am

I got mine from Jeffers Pet (online), but I know my local upscale dog boutique carries it too. I've never seen it at Petsmart or Petco.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby LaylaWoobie » September 3rd, 2008, 12:00 pm

you can put neosporin on them if they're cracked or seem to be bothering them and it wont hurt him if he licks it off. Olivia cut one of her pads almost completely off one time and thats what the vet said to put on it while it was healing
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » September 3rd, 2008, 12:03 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Musher's Secret. Awesome stuff. Bag balm/udder cream would work temporarily if you can keep him from licking it off.

I've used both of these, too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 3rd, 2008, 12:26 pm

If you can't wash his feet good luck getting a cream of some kind on them! lol

pitbullmamaliz

Postby BigDogBuford » September 3rd, 2008, 1:51 pm

I've used both Bag Balm and emu oil.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby nicole » September 3rd, 2008, 2:26 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Okay, so Nemo was delivered last night....he's been a kennel dog....well, his paw pads are very sore...does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to help him feel better? He's in a crate now, so I don't have to worry about more damage...

so when do we get to meet him? :dance:
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » September 3rd, 2008, 3:45 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:If you can't wash his feet good luck getting a cream of some kind on them! lol

Yeah...should be interesting...Greg doesn't trust him so he won't hold him...but he's been a total teddy bear for me...he even takes treats very gently!

Nicole, lol, I gotta get pics of him...and, well, he's kinda skinny right now (he apparently still has Belgian weight :| ) So, once I get him looking a little better, I'll do a formal introduction...just don't want anyone to think I'm not taking care of him... :|

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby hey21jude » September 3rd, 2008, 4:00 pm

Marinepits wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Musher's Secret. Awesome stuff. Bag balm/udder cream would work temporarily if you can keep him from licking it off.

I've used both of these, too.

Yup me too. Both great products.
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » September 3rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

:anyMinute:

yeah, I don't even know what kind of dog he is!

If the wounds look raw then they should be cleaned (washed) daily for a couple of days and then kept dry. As long as they are clean, you can put whatever type of ointment or cream on it you want (just not Hydrogen peroxide!)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » September 3rd, 2008, 9:13 pm

Malli wrote::anyMinute:

yeah, I don't even know what kind of dog he is!

If the wounds look raw then they should be cleaned (washed) daily for a couple of days and then kept dry. As long as they are clean, you can put whatever type of ointment or cream on it you want (just not Hydrogen peroxide!)

Ummmm...I worked him tonight...and after that experience, I'm not really sure WHAT he is!!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DropkickPA » September 5th, 2008, 9:08 am

katiek0417 wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:If you can't wash his feet good luck getting a cream of some kind on them! lol

Yeah...should be interesting...Greg doesn't trust him so he won't hold him...but he's been a total teddy bear for me...he even takes treats very gently!

Nicole, lol, I gotta get pics of him...and, well, he's kinda skinny right now (he apparently still has Belgian weight :| ) So, once I get him looking a little better, I'll do a formal introduction...just don't want anyone to think I'm not taking care of him... :|

We need before and after pics!!
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby katiek0417 » September 5th, 2008, 9:50 am

I'm going to have Greg take some pics of him today when I do some obedience with him. Sadly, he also isn't eating right now (which isn't helping). Before I left, I put a kennel bowl clipped to his door...and I filled it with food (and it holds 2 quarts), and he was munching when I left...so, I guess that's good!

But I'll definitely get pics!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder