Raw - I did it but not going well.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby concreterose » January 24th, 2006, 6:34 pm

I have a dog that suffers w/demodex too. She did fine switching. You could try another protein source (chicken is a common allergen because it is a grain fed animal), or you could try lightly cooking or boiling the meat for a minute until he gets used to it. Some dogs do get the runs from Salmon Oil, how much of that are you giving him? Sorry about the link to the digestive enzyme, I fixed it. Good luck!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 6:48 pm

concreterose wrote:I have a dog that suffers w/demodex too. She did fine switching. You could try another protein source (chicken is a common allergen because it is a grain fed animal), or you could try lightly cooking or boiling the meat for a minute until he gets used to it. Some dogs do get the runs from Salmon Oil, how much of that are you giving him? Sorry about the link to the digestive enzyme, I fixed it. Good luck!

When I searched for the Wild Salmon Oil (and I needed it in a pinch) I was only able to find it in capsule form and I cut open one capsule per meal.

Thank you for the link.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 6:53 pm

you can purchase salmon oil in liquid at Veterinary Resource Group in WA thats where i get mine from.. i think i posted it in this section let me look
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Yes and you did mention it to me. But I wanted to get it right away when Knuckles mange started. I had gone to a health food store. I will get more from where you suggested when I run out.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Ted is excellent to deal with.. when i order from him i get the oil within the week of ordering..make sure you tell him i sent you. i get nothing for referring people, but this wayhe knows how his name and group got to the East coast.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 7:37 pm

concreterose wrote: (chicken is a common allergen because it is a grain fed animal)

If that is true, what about free range animals? Would they be ok? Like cows, chickens are not made to have grain as a mainstay of their diet. Well, actually, cows aren't supposed to eat grain at all, but that's a whole other topic.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » January 24th, 2006, 10:43 pm

mnp13 wrote:
concreterose wrote: (chicken is a common allergen because it is a grain fed animal)

If that is true, what about free range animals? Would they be ok? Like cows, chickens are not made to have grain as a mainstay of their diet. Well, actually, cows aren't supposed to eat grain at all, but that's a whole other topic.

Dogs who eat free range meat typically do not have allergic reactions to those protein sources. For instance, Vicki was tested as highly positive to beef. However, she can eat the beef that I feed her because I only feed her grass fed meat. The few times I've given her regular ol' grocery store beef for more than a few days, she started the scratching and foot chewing. Same thing would go for chicken. If it's free range and not grain fed, there is a lower chance for an allergic reaction. In addition, free range meats are higher in Omega 3 fatty acids, which are also beneficial in combating allergies (anti-inflammatory properties).
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 11:05 pm

interesting...

I'm all about free range organic meat. It's what I try to feed me too!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » January 24th, 2006, 11:08 pm

There are some great farms upstate.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby bustersmama » January 25th, 2006, 2:22 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Any of the premade RAW diets use range free meats? If not where do you get it?
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby concreterose » January 25th, 2006, 3:24 pm

The Bravo meat that I get (from a local distributor) is all grass fed meat. I will buy stuff from whole foods sometimes, but only if it's on sale, as it's expensive. Bravo
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby bustersmama » January 25th, 2006, 3:29 pm

M~

You just made my day, there is a distributor in Savannah!! Maybe they have other quality kibble there as well if the RAW/BARF doesnt work out. I really need to get Buster on the best thing I can afford, nothing helps his allergies.

TY
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health