Chocolate Toxic Levels

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 12:44 pm

info provided by A-bull! Thank you!

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 22nd, 2008, 7:33 pm

:bump:

Since Easter is here...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2008, 8:50 pm

HOW MANY M&MS DOES THIS EQUAL!????
:doh:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » March 22nd, 2008, 10:56 pm

The pkg should say how many ozs or mgs of milk chocolate they have. Oh Copper :rolleyes2:

As a side note, it is entirely possible for a dog to ingest a lethal level of chocolate, so something to keep in mind.

When going to the vet for a chocolate toxicity :
~don't waste any time, leave as soon as you realise the level is toxic
~bring the packaging with you, if possible.

Its my understanding that the Accident Insurance I have for Oscar actually covers chocolate toxicity, so for those with dogs with "Labrador" type appetites this may be something to look into.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2008, 10:59 pm

Well at least it was milk chocolate... lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby fenella » December 29th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Someone posted this on another board that I'm on. It's an interactive chart based on your dog's weight and various types of chocolate...
[url]
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/ ... nteractive[/url]
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » December 29th, 2008, 11:16 pm

While Cole and I were heading to the Mall so he could spend some gift-money, Kelcie called, upset because she had left Dar “alone for only a second’ and he had eaten an entire bar of dark-chocolate (with chili peppers and cherries in it))…..I hurried and called the vet---------called Kelcie right back and told her she had to mix ¼ cup peroxide and ¼ cup water and get it down him as soon as possible. I told her to mix it up,,,take it out to the porch and then take out the dog…..Kneel behind him and pull his head back and pour in as much as she could.

She called in a few minutes and said she could only get in about half, and “now Dar Hates me”>..haha…she said he looked at her, headed out to the yard and sat. Looked at her with this pitiful gaze and licked his paw. :+(

He threw up about five minutes later………a frothy mess of chocolate!!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2008, 5:17 am

just be careful in instances like this so that they don't aspirate! :wave2: :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 30th, 2008, 10:00 am

I know......I was worried about that too.
**having to give sqawling,screaming,fighting babies medicines**......

I'm just glad it worked out (no pun intended) as easily as it did!

J
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Malli wrote:just be careful in instances like this so that they don't aspirate! :wave2: :wink:

Agreed. If you have a turkey baster or large syringe WITHOUT a needle, use that. Put the syringe between their lips and teeth (off to the side) and hold their jaws shut, then slowly squeeze down on the plunger as they swallow. They'll still hate you, but at least they won't aspirate the mixture. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Nutrition & Health