Flies...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2008, 11:38 am

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, if not, if one of the mods could move it to where it's appropriate...

Anywho, as you know, I have 5 malinois puppies here right now. They are 5 weeks old, and we've been keeping them outside in the hutch where they were born (it's 90 degrees here, but they're in the shade, and the hutch is surprisingly cool). Anyway, I clean it out several times a day, with a Puppy-safe solution (I try to stay away from bleach b/c of their sensitive noses and paws)...but the flies are getting really bad...

Does anyone have any suggestions?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2008, 11:39 am

Sticky fly traps, hung high enough so they are out of reach for the dogs? :|

OR... you could ship them ALL to me... I'd love to have a house full of puppies!!! :heartbeat:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » July 8th, 2008, 11:42 am

I was going to say the same thing. Those sticky things. The kind that come in a little tube then you pull it out and hang it. Just be careful not to touch it. VERY sticky. Is there any way to put a fan out there?
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2008, 11:44 am

amazincc wrote:Sticky fly traps, hung high enough so they are out of reach for the dogs? :|

OR... you could ship them ALL to me... I'd love to have a house full of puppies!!! :heartbeat:

I hadn't thought of the fly traps...I could put those right on the side of the hutch (on the outside)...I have one of those things that you fill with water and it smells like bad meat (yuck), but it hasn't cut down on them, yet...I don't want their ears to get eaten up...and i can't put anything on them...

And I'm not sure ANYONE would want these heathens!

madremissy wrote:I was going to say the same thing. Those sticky things. The kind that come in a little tube then you pull it out and hang it. Just be careful not to touch it. VERY sticky. Is there any way to put a fan out there?

I have a small fan attached to the outside of the hutch pointing in and that definitely helps...but I'm also getting a lot of flies near the back of the hutch (the inside part) but outside the hutch (if that made sense)...and they're the huge horse fly things...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2008, 11:45 am

Booby-fly-trap the outside... and, YES, I would want those heathens. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2008, 11:48 am

amazincc wrote:Booby-fly-trap the outside... and, YES, I would want those heathens. :D

I thought I was being smart this morning...I put their food bowl down on the ground, then took them out to clean the hutch...I figured since they hadn't yet eaten they'd be hungry...what did they do? They started biting me...and growling...and wouldn't stop...I finally climbed INTO the hutch!

I'll try to get some of those sticky things from Home Depot...do you think there's any repellant I can use in addition?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 8th, 2008, 11:50 am

Hmmm... maybe a spray? I would use that when the pups are not in the hutch, let it dry/soak in for a while, before putting them back inside. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyPuppy » July 8th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Do a search for 'natural fly sprays for dogs' or something like that... I did a quickie search and this was the 1st prod to come up: http://www.arbico-organics.com/1108701.html - can be used on dogs (prolly not pups, tho AND bedding/area)....
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2008, 4:42 pm

what about letting the hutch dry out for a day?
Flies are usually attracted to moisture... Thats why dogs get flystrike and maggots on them so easily, it just takes a day or 2 of being damp or wet and thats it.
I'm sure you do, but check the puppies very closely to ensure that they don't stay wet ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 8th, 2008, 10:10 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Do a search for 'natural fly sprays for dogs' or something like that... I did a quickie search and this was the 1st prod to come up: http://www.arbico-organics.com/1108701.html - can be used on dogs (prolly not pups, tho AND bedding/area)....

That stuff looks great!!!

Malli, yeah, they stay pretty dry...and if they do get wet, I let them out to run around to dry off...

Britney sent me a link for these things that will "eat" the fly larvae:

http://www.spalding-labs.com/

She said they worked for the horses...so I ordered some...at least they'll work for next year...

I also am trying a tea tree oil mixture (Alyssa suggested tea tree oil)...

I just hate flies...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder