Getting a dog tested, hips, knees and heart...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ZachMan » April 11th, 2006, 9:58 am

How old does the dog need to be to have these tests done? I was thinking about getting both my dogs tested soon. I called my vet and they said they could even after I told them the dogs a 1 and 4mo. Is this too soon for certain tests? I mainly want to ge tan EKG done to know their hearts and everything are in good shape.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 10:00 am

The most important thing is to know that you need to get all of the tests done every few years.

Heart murmurs come and go, hips can deteriorate, etc.

I know that there are minimum ages for Penn Hip and OFA if you go that route.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ZachMan » April 11th, 2006, 10:05 am

mnp13 wrote:The most important thing is to know that you need to get all of the tests done every few years.

Heart murmurs come and go, hips can deteriorate, etc.

I know that there are minimum ages for Penn Hip and OFA if you go that route.

Yeah someone told me for some certain hip test the dog needs to be 2 years old. I think my Dr. is just gonna give them a good look over and mainly just do the EKG for them. Better than nothing, but I know there are certain test cause I see people say "My dog is blah blah tested and passed" or whatever, haha.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » April 11th, 2006, 10:27 am

First of all are you testing for general knowledge or are you going to breed? If you're going to breed please read this:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=48

Pennhip is 16 weeks and ofa is 2 years.

I agree with Michelle on intermittant testing through out the dogs life. That incldes heart, hips, eyes, and ears.

Vonwillernbrands is another test that I beleive all pit bull owners should perform as well. Vonwillerbrands is a bleeding disorder similar to hemophilia. It's good to know if your dog has it because they could bleed to death on the table if there ins't any transfuion equipment avaible. It is hereditary.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 10:29 am

All the info you are looking for is on the OFA and Penn hip websites

http://www.offa.org/

http://www.pennhip.org/

You can get prelims done before age 2 on hips with OFA and penn hip can be done as early as 16 weeks according to their site. I don't know how reliable it would be though at that young

Hearts can be tested at any age and should be done especially if you or your vet have any concerns about the pups' health
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby ZachMan » April 11th, 2006, 10:29 am

Breed? No way!

Thanks for the info...never knew about the bleeding issue.
Last edited by ZachMan on April 11th, 2006, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby ZachMan » April 11th, 2006, 10:30 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:All the info you are looking for is on the OFA and Penn hip websites

http://www.offa.org/

http://www.pennhip.org/

You can get prelims done before age 2 on hips with OFA and penn hip can be done as early as 16 weeks according to their site. I don't know how reliable it would be though at that young

Hearts can be tested at any age and should be done especially if you or your vet have any concerns about the pups' health

Thanks for the help
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 11:29 am

Romanwild LOL I always seem to post right after you LOL Great minds think alike

lol I type toooo slow :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby bustersmama » April 11th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Maybe if you would have bought your new dog from a reputable breeder you could rest a little easier at night about her hips?
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 13th, 2006, 12:41 pm

buying from a reputable breeder doesnt insure anything...i have bought my labs from reputable breeders and they just have a garuntee...i mean after having a dog for a couple years and it got a hip problem would you really take it back and get another one??i wouldnt...i love mine...i went with zach to pick up the pup...the breeder looked ok to me...its not like it was a puppy mill...
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby bustersmama » April 13th, 2006, 1:01 pm

buying from a reputable breeder doesnt insure anything...i have bought my labs from reputable breeders and they just have a garuntee...i mean after having a dog for a couple years and it got a hip problem would you really take it back and get another one??i wouldnt...i love mine...i went with zach to pick up the pup...the breeder looked ok to me...its not like it was a puppy mill...

Well good for you supporting a BYB as well!

"the breeder looked okay to me?" Are ya serious?

I never said buying from a reputable breeder ensured squat.

You dont want me to open this can of worms on here...I will leave it alone.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 13th, 2006, 1:07 pm

3 million pit bulls and pit mixes are PTS every year.

If someone is breeding pit bulls now they better be improving the breed. NOT health testing isn't improving the breed. NOT proving your stock through many different working events isn't improving the breed either.

When you buy a puppy from a breeder you have essentialy PTS a pit bull in a shelter.

3 million PTS every year.......3,000,000 :nono:

crimsonandwhite:
i went with zach to pick up the pup...the breeder looked ok to me...its not like it was a puppy mill...

Looked o.k.? :?

Puppy mill or byb. It doesn't make a difference to me. Neither of them should be breeding. Neither of them have the future of the breed as their primary focus.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 13th, 2006, 1:13 pm

your right...i dont want you to open a can of worms on me...i suppose you wanted me to go to a puppy mill and get my dogs???and yes...it did look ok...i always check out the place and the people before i buy a dog...and yes, mine do have champion bloodlines...yes i bought them for that purpose...im just curious...what do you think is a byb and what is a reputable breeder???just the nerve that you have to tell someone where and where not to get their dog is absurd...you should just be happy for the person and for the dog getting a loving home...not criticize the person from buying a dog from a breeder...dont post smart remarks when someone asks a simple question about their dogs...
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby ZachMan » April 13th, 2006, 1:14 pm

bustersmama wrote:Maybe if you would have bought your new dog from a reputable breeder you could rest a little easier at night about her hips?

Please leave me alone I took your sob stories over there, I won't take them anymore.

I sleep great at night and so do my dogs. If you have to know the parents to my girl WERE tested and passed fine I just assumed they weren't, I just got of the phone with the guy.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby ZachMan » April 13th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Romanwild wrote:3 million pit bulls and pit mixes are PTS every year.

If someone is breeding pit bulls now they better be improving the breed. NOT health testing isn't improving the breed. NOT proving your stock through many different working events isn't improving the breed either.

When you buy a puppy from a breeder you have essentialy PTS a pit bull in a shelter.

3 million PTS every year.......3,000,000 :nono:

crimsonandwhite:
i went with zach to pick up the pup...the breeder looked ok to me...its not like it was a puppy mill...

Looked o.k.? :?

Puppy mill or byb. It doesn't make a difference to me. Neither of them should be breeding. Neither of them have the future of the breed as their primary focus.

I am getting lost, but my dogs parents were health tested. I am gonna wait awhile ot get her tested. You have seen the pics of her, she fits the standard well she is not a "rhino" or "hippo" and her parents were healthy so thats definately not hurting the breed.

THE END....moving on :arrow:
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 13th, 2006, 1:18 pm

where are all the expert dog people that breed dogs then???how am i to get on???i sat and talked with the guy that bred the dogs and he knew what he was talking about...he did research on his dogs before he bred them...the dogs are loving and caring...they arent being bred for fighting so i dont see why you guys seem to get offensive when someone buys a dog from a breeder...zach tried to get another rescue dog but they all seemed to be to mean to frazer...i wish i could have video taped it so you guys could see that he went thru every option he had possible...
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby ZachMan » April 13th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Chris alot of people know my story like "Bustersmoma", but she doesn't care. I could say I introduced Frazer to 100 different rescued or sheltered dogs and they all tried to attack my boy or just were not a good match, but they would still be pissed because I bought a dog that did. So I give up and move on and won't lose a wink of sleep because I tried and it didn't work out so I got a dog that did and we are all happy now.
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby bustersmama » April 13th, 2006, 1:28 pm

bustersmama wrote:
Maybe if you would have bought your new dog from a reputable breeder you could rest a little easier at night about her hips?

Please leave me alone I took your sob stories over there, I won't take them anymore.

I sleep great at night and so do my dogs. If you have to know the parents to my girl WERE tested and passed fine I just assumed they weren't, I just got of the phone with the guy.

WHAT?? You are a phony, plain and simple. We bombarded with healthy rescue dogs that you turned your nose up at. You were stringing more that ONE person along with your "interest" in their rescues. What a shame.

How about you PM me the name of the sire and dam so i can look up their "health testing" ? You never mention this tidbit of info before?? I will surely make a very public apology if I am wrong!!
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 13th, 2006, 1:45 pm

look...its simple...its was his decision and his money...not yours...he wasnt stringing anyone on...you dont know anything about the dogs that he has taken frazer to see...so dont act like you do...and try not to post smartass comments...it just shows your intelligence...next time you call someone a phony you should look in the mirror...cause if you really are a dog lover you would be happy that zach got a dog that he AND frazer likes...hell, be happy that he adopted frazer...i havent adopted a dog in my life...but the way you act i dont know if i ever want to for fear of being reprimanded for buying one...
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby ZachMan » April 13th, 2006, 1:51 pm

bustersmama wrote:
bustersmama wrote:

WHAT?? You are a phony, plain and simple. We bombarded with healthy rescue dogs that you turned your nose up at. You were stringing more that ONE person along with your "interest" in their rescues. What a shame.

How about you PM me the name of the sire and dam so i can look up their "health testing" ? You never mention this tidbit of info before?? I will surely make a very public apology if I am wrong!!

I NEVER strung anyone along your on to nothing.

I looked into many dogs off the forum, they were either:

1. Not going to ship to me on my dime.

2. Already gone.

3. Like the dog you wanted me to get, which is a dog I was sorta kinda intrested in, but I finally went to my local shelter and saw many like her. I then met with them and they were either hardly an APBT or mean as you guys on the other forum were to me as the dog was to Frazer.

4. I was gonna get that dog from Colorado, do you remeber the dog that was white with grey/blue patches? Well I called them way over in CO. 3 times and everything seemed good, they tell me they will call me back to talk about shipping....wnat to guess what they did? NOTHING, they never called back.

So you know I spent a few months looking and never found what I wanted or what was a good match for Frazer. I am not some guy that all th sudden turned bad and lies or whatever you think. I met the dog and she was very nice and I liked that her owners knew ALOT about the breed and the fact it was their first litter ever.

I assumed they didn't test the parents. Well I was wrong, I took the heat over there and got BANNED unlike the other THOUSANDS of people who bought dogs and that why you never heard back. I just called the guy he said they were tested....thats all I know right now. :|
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health