"Frito" feet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Marinepits » March 29th, 2006, 4:41 pm

I had Mac to the vet today due to his feet smelling more "frito-y" than normal. He has a yeast/fungal infection between his toes and the vet gave me a great "home remedy":

1 part white vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide, wipe between pads and toes with a cotton ball three times a day until the infection starts to dry up, then use once daily. (Do NOT let dog on carpets/rugs until feet are dry -- can cause bleach spots.)

If there are any open sores/lesions from the infection, use panalog (animax) cream sparingly in conjunction with above mixture, until healed.

This solution also works on dogs like shih tzus and bichons that have yeast infections under their eyes (where the fur is sometimes stained dark) -- just do NOT get the solution in their eyes. Use a small cotton ball or q-tip.
Last edited by Marinepits on April 19th, 2007, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2006, 5:15 pm

This sounds great! I'm all for easy treatments with less meds!

But keep in mind, not all infections can be healed this way. Os has had a yeast infection that went all over him.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » March 29th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Very true. Mac has had yeast/skin issues for all his life -- the reason we went to the vet, besides his smelly feet, was to get him allergy tested (blood serum something-or-other). So, hopefully we'll have some answers in about two weeks. Fingers crossed! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2006, 8:33 pm

I'd love to hear the results!

Os is up for one of those, whenever I have money, we have also had problems for most of his life...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Purple » March 29th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Dex still has feet issues, so I will definately be giving this a try....The rest of his yeasty body seems to be in check! Thank You!
Purple
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 29th, 2006, 10:59 pm

It's funny. I never knew that's what the "frito" smell was. I never even thought to take Sacha to the vet when I smelled it. Thank you for the info...and I will absolutely use the trick your vet told you!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » March 29th, 2006, 11:00 pm

I will absolutely give this a try. I'll have to do it before we go for a walk, though, since Wally is always on the couches or on my bed. One of his feet definitely has something going on . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 29th, 2006, 11:00 pm

I've never even heard of yeasty dogs - is it common?
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » March 29th, 2006, 11:04 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I've never even heard of yeasty dogs - is it common?

Sacha constantly gets yeast ear infections...but they smell...well, not like fritos....I've been told that the yeast infections can spread

This may sound stupid, but does anyone know if it's possible that they can get a yeast infection on their paws b/c of scratching their ears? I'm just wondering: if Sacha has a yeast ear infection, and she scratches her ears...can that infection spread to her paws? Any thoughts?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » March 30th, 2006, 2:28 am

if Sacha has a yeast ear infection, and she scratches her ears...can that infection spread to her paws?

I think its entirely possible :|

I've had an infection on Os start on his feet and spread to all over his body(I didn't know the symptoms at the time), the Vet said he could smell it -the infection- and I think he knew even before he did the test.

I think it would most likely depend on weather the other area of the dog's body is receptive to a yeast bloom (a paw licker is a BAD thing for yeast, since it grows well in moist, warm conditions, like between freshly licked paws!)

anyone else??

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » March 30th, 2006, 9:03 am

katiek0417 wrote:It's funny. I never knew that's what the "frito" smell was. I never even thought to take Sacha to the vet when I smelled it. Thank you for the info...and I will absolutely use the trick your vet told you!!!!

A slight smell of "frito feet" is normal. Mac's feet definitely are very very smelly.

And Mac has more symptoms than just the smell. He also has a red pin-dot rash in between his toes, several of his nail beds are red and irritated, and his front feet also have some slight oozing in between his middle toes (that is from him licking his feet).
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » March 30th, 2006, 9:50 am

Gross....

I sure hope he's all better soon though. Thanks for the tip as well!
Jenn
undecided

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 30th, 2006, 12:24 pm

I have no sense of smell, so all I can invision is a white bully with bright orange feet. Now I will not be able to eat fritos again. Thanks. :beatComp:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » March 30th, 2006, 1:00 pm

oh, dear, look what we've done...

There was more to it with Oscar's infection too, only I thought it was a bacterial skin infection until I brought him in. Both have a distinct smell (well according to our Vet. ... I can't smell for dog poop)

You may also find in a very severe case that the skin takes on a rust-colored, oily tinge to it...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » March 30th, 2006, 6:03 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I have no sense of smell, so all I can invision is a white bully with bright orange feet. Now I will not be able to eat fritos again. Thanks. :beatComp:

Does this help: Mac is a dark brindle and has white tipped paws that are red and swollen. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » March 30th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Malli wrote:oh, dear, look what we've done...

There was more to it with Oscar's infection too, only I thought it was a bacterial skin infection until I brought him in. Both have a distinct smell (well according to our Vet. ... I can't smell for dog poop)

You may also find in a very severe case that the skin takes on a rust-colored, oily tinge to it...

Malli

Bacterial infections usually smell "bad" and/or "wrong" (if that makes sense :rolleyes2: ) and yeasty types of infections smell almost sweet, with a side of corn chips. Of course, that doesn't help at all if you have no sense of smell! :D

A couple of Mac's nails had that rusty tinge to them, but it wiped right off with the vinegar/peroxide solution. His feet are already looking better!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » March 31st, 2006, 1:52 pm

I think I just get used to the smell because it builds up so gradually. If it weren't my dog, I'd probably smell it better, and yes, that does make sense. Although I still have a terrible sense of smell :ROFL2:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 31st, 2006, 2:02 pm

I was playing with Inara last night and she was on her back - I grabbed a foot and sniffed it. I don't think I smelled Fritos. But now I'm paranoid!!! lol
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » March 31st, 2006, 5:23 pm

Well, it's been two days using that solution and Mac's feet look (and smell) almost completely normal! :bananaDance:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » March 31st, 2006, 10:26 pm

Did the Doc. say how long to use it for??

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health