Manicures and Pedicures

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Okay. I SWEAR I have NEVER cut the quick on my dogs, yet when I cut their nails, you'd think I was killing them (the screams, the cries). That and I have to hold them down with my legs wrapped around them, etc. :rolleyes2: Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might make this a more pleasurable experience, for both everybody involved (especially me)?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby odnarb » March 26th, 2006, 8:50 pm

No cutting, dremel! My dogs definately prefer the dremel.

I'm lucky, my Malinois is almost 2 years old and I've only needed to do his nails twice, as he keeps them very short on his own. The bummer part though is that he is the best about it. The first time he met the dremel at 9 months old or so, he acted like he's had it done every day since he was born.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2006, 8:52 pm

My mal is definitely more tolerant of the dremel...but Sacha absolutely can't stand it...it's almost worse than the clippers....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 10:19 pm

What type of clippers do you use and what direction do you clip them?

Some clippers squeeze the quick painfully before they cut through.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 26th, 2006, 11:02 pm

I've NEVER had any previous issues with mine. Maddie is more than happy to sit in your lap if possible and wouldn't probably care if you were cutting her toe off as long as you were loving on her, lol.

Now Ben... :shock: I don't know what happened. He's always been very relaxed and at ease about his trimmings. Last time he acted like a total nut job!!!! Everytime I'd touch his feet he'd go to pulling and acting like I was going to hurt him. Which I'd never had! So I checked his pads and his legs to make sure nothing was wrong and he was just adamint that I wasn't going to trim his toe nails. I waited a bit then tried it again, this time I was going to get it done and he'd just have to deal.. Well low and behold if I didn't cut the quick.. :( I felt horrible and he acted like I killed him. Finally I got him coersed into sticking his foot in a bowl of flour (which worked to stop the bleeding) but he was off like lightning the minute he had the chance. Now, it's hell he's crying before I even get started :rolleyes2: .. I feel your pain. Dremmel is a no go for us as well. I had my daughter give him some hot dog today while I got the front feet done, it seemed to help distract him from what was going on. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 11:24 pm

I can cut dog's nails all day long . . . except my own dog's nails. I always have someone else do them because he squirms with me and no one else. Bratface.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » March 26th, 2006, 11:28 pm

mnp13 wrote:What type of clippers do you use and what direction do you clip them?

Some clippers squeeze the quick painfully before they cut through.

I'm using standard clippers that they use in most vet's offices (in fact my vet gave me one of their pairs because I told him how hard it was for me to do them). He showed me exactly how to do them...and I'm always careful to just do the very tip...no more...if I have to take more off, I take them to the tennis court and practice my serves :wink:

Unfortunately, they start to scream before I even grab their paws...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 11:31 pm

I'll have to try that with Riggs. Ruby isn't all that interested in chasing anything so it won't work with her.

I have tried the 'scissors' and the 'anvil' cutters. Ruby is much better with the 'scissors', but she's never really had a problem with me cutting her nails. My last dog chewed her nails, that was GREAT!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » March 27th, 2006, 12:03 am

For those of you that are ambitious...

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/nailfile.html
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 12:07 am

odnarb wrote:For those of you that are ambitious...

THAT is cool! Thanks for sharing!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » March 27th, 2006, 12:13 am

mnp13 wrote:THAT is cool! Thanks for sharing!

If anybody tries it, let me know how it goes. I'm not that ambitious, LOL.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » March 27th, 2006, 12:16 am

the scissor clippers are where its at, the guilloteen style or anvil style ones are hard to aim and can squish if they aren't sharp.

Oscar shakes and quivers and sometimes kicks, but he just knows no way no how will he get out of it. If I'm lucky and I'm at work sometimes I have a co-worker, sit with his head and pat him, and distract him, he seems to like that. PB on a spoon or treats and praise I think is a great way to go. A food motivated dog can get himself over almost anything :)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 12:18 am

I sit on the floor and have Ruby lay down, then I flip her over and tell her to stay. I started it as an obedience exercise and after a few times started clipping her nails.

She doesn't enjoy it, but she doesn't fight me either.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » March 27th, 2006, 12:22 am

Oscar is the same, I guess we're hard-asses :| :lol:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 27th, 2006, 8:50 am

My husband used to lay Tallulah in his lap and feed her hot dogs like she was the queen of Sheba, and she got one piece for every nail cut.

You can start desensitizing them by getting a new pair of clippers that look different than the old. Start by showing them the new clippers, then click/treat, repeat several times daily. After about 3-4 days, tap the top of the nail and click and treat. Do this daily, until they start looking forward to seeing the clippers. Then just hold the nail in the clippers for a moment without cutting it, click/treat. I would cut one nail per session, when you do start cutting. Go through each nail, tap, tap, cut, tap, tap. So they get used to it being no big deal.

My dal whippet I sit on, he hates having his feet touched, and is just plain old dominant about it. So I sit on him, and he groans the whole time! The bullies both don't mind at all, they are very good.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Asta » March 27th, 2006, 9:13 am

I sit on the floor and have Ruby lay down, then I flip her over and tell her to stay. I started it as an obedience exercise and after a few times started clipping her nails.

She doesn't enjoy it, but she doesn't fight me either.

Thats my tactic aswell hhehehe Sometimes she is on the table too, depends on how ambitious i feel :) Guinness then develops Rigor Mortis and show every tooth in her mouth hhahaha She stays put though, and is equally as happy every time she is done and gets treats. She will munch on a treat and lick the nailcutters :|

Cheers,

├ůsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » March 27th, 2006, 11:51 am

That has got to be the coolest thing!!! I'm doing it!!! Thank you for sharing!!!! It sounds pretty similar to taking them to the tennis courts (but much less work for me).:goodStuff:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby concreterose » March 27th, 2006, 1:27 pm

That is SO neat!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health