Please help, Need input on Gastro problems

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ccc2006 » March 26th, 2006, 10:54 am

For any of you that followed Louie's story, I really need some advice. He continues to make gastro noises, but now, my female Bella is doing it as well. I don't know what the heck is going on here. They do not eat the same food, and Bella has never done this kind of stuff. There have been no changes in her diet or any other kinds of changes for her.
Now I catch her drooling at times, clear nasal discharge, coughing here and there, burping and farting. Just like him, so it makes me think we are talking about something contagious.
My question is, does anyone know of things that can cause this, yet neither has diarrhea.
The vet isn't open until tommorow, and I'm not sure when the next available appointment will be, so I'm hoping for some input here.
Also, if anyone knows of a gastroenterologist here in PA, that would be great too, as I think we need to see one who specializes solely in this kind of stuff.

Thanks,
Anne Marie
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 10:58 am

oh crap!!! sounds like my house.. what about coccidia or giardia? or a slight case of kennel cough?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » March 26th, 2006, 11:11 am

Maryellen wrote:oh crap!!! sounds like my house.. what about coccidia or giardia? or a slight case of kennel cough?

Yup, at least they don't have the diarrhea. That's what wonders me: aren't the signs of cocchdia/giardia diarrhea as well?
They did a fecal on Louie the first week he came in, and it was negative.
This is driving me insane, first Louie, now Bella. I was thinking kennel cough too for the discharge/coughing, but does that tie in with gastro problems?
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 12:10 pm

no it shouldnt., but maybe her food is going bad?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 26th, 2006, 4:49 pm

Just off the top of my head, KC can be a virus, or usually is I guess? So whatever virus causes it could also cause a mild tummy virus too?
And if they have excessive nasal discharge they could be swallowing more, which would lead to air in the tummy. It sounds like that is what is going on :|
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 4:58 pm

msvette2u wrote:Just off the top of my head, KC can be a virus, or usually is I guess? So whatever virus causes it could also cause a mild tummy virus too?
And if they have excessive nasal discharge they could be swallowing more, which would lead to air in the tummy. It sounds like that is what is going on :|

There are many many many different strains of kennel cough. Some of them are covered under the DHLPP or DA2PP vaccine. Others are covered under the Bordatella/Intratrac vaccine. But even others are not covered under either.

So I would question KC as well as the different strains have different effects on the body.
Last edited by SisMorphine on March 26th, 2006, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ccc2006 » March 26th, 2006, 6:31 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Just off the top of my head, KC can be a virus, or usually is I guess? So whatever virus causes it could also cause a mild tummy virus too?

There are many many many different strains of kennel cough. Some of them are covered under the DHLPP or DA2PP vaccine. Others are covered until the Bordatella/Intratrac vaccine. But even others are not covered until other.

So I would question KC as well as the different strains have different effects on the body.

Thank you very much for the input. :)
That really makes sense that KC could be the answer from what you've all said. I've had KC run through here with different fosters over the years, but it was always accompanied by that dry hacking cough and usually the green discharge.
But with so many strains as you've stated, who knows what effects there could be.
Louie has been on Cephalexin and Doxycycline since he's been here...geez if it is KC it must be a heck of a strain.

Thanks everyone!
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 6:47 pm

I just edited my post . . . I apparently used words that SO made it sound like English is my second language . . . and I swear it's my first! So yeah, now it's all fixed :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ccc2006 » March 28th, 2006, 7:50 am

SisMorphine wrote:I just edited my post . . . I apparently used words that SO made it sound like English is my second language . . . and I swear it's my first! So yeah, now it's all fixed :)

Hey, I actually understood your original post, so I must speak ESL at times too! :)
I couldn't get into the vets yesterday as it was extremely busy/booked up. But I did have the doctor call me to discuss.
He asked if there was a possibility they are getting into something, and I said no, that they aren't just allowed to their own devices here. Either I'm watching what they are doing, or if I can't, they are in the crate.
Then he suggested food, which I told him they don't eat the same kind and my girl has been on the same for years now.
He said to try switching to bottled water for now, that maybe the city started adding more things to the water? I don't know, doesn't sound right to me. I'm not a big believer in coincidence - we have Louie come in doing that stuff plus the other problems he had, now my girl Bella does it too and never had those problems before.
I'll still try the water thing, although I think it's bogus. I don't know what else I can do :|
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health