I am at my wits end here..

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » March 24th, 2006, 6:22 pm

jesse got into the garbage last thursday ( a week ago) she ate every bit of food, plus a rib bone, pork bone and 2 chicken quarter bones. friday night she started w/ the runs.. sunday the runs were gone. monday the runs started again. off to the vet we went. xrays showed bones still in her intestines, but they were super tiny specs.. vet gave her flagyl. she pooped normal for a day, now back to the runs again.. last night, solid poop. today lunchtime jamie had to clean up a massive amount of diarrehea.. i get home and there is more.. plus vomit.. she is on 4 flagyls a day ... i am waiting to hear fromthe vet as to whether they want me to bring her back tonight..
what could it be? i have no fosters, she doesnt go out in public so other dogs is not it.. i am at my wits end..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2006, 6:40 pm

is she eating? vomiting at all?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 24th, 2006, 6:52 pm

vet just called she is giving me antibiotics now..

she eats fine. i actually am not giving her her normal dose of food because her stomach is still tender and its bad enough i have to clean up crap so the less i feed the less crap i have to clean up.. she is also on wet food right now cause the vet doesnt want dry food to irritate her more.. she eats fine drinks fine. but while we are at work she has the runs and vomits.. it cost me $200 the other night at the vets office for all sorts of tests,xrays ,etc..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2006, 7:02 pm

What about switching to rice and chicken or beef for a few days. When Ruby got sick recently I fed her 2 cups of slightly under cooked rice to try to firm things up. It worked to a degree.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » March 24th, 2006, 8:05 pm

One of my pups ate some gravel when he was about 7 months old. He did some vomiting and had tons of diarrhea in which some of the gravel came out, but xrays showed he still had some gravel left in his intestine.

My vet gave me a "home" remedy to try: no regular food, only plain mashed potatoes for 3 days. The mashed potatoes "wrapped around" the gravel left in his intestines and helped the gravel pass right through with no problems/irritation. He did have funny-colored soft poop for several days after the mashed potatoes were done, but he was happy and gravel-free.

I'll send good thoughts to you and jesse.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby panda » March 24th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Maryellen I wish I had a good answer for you, but since I don't I am sending hugs to you and Jesse for support. :groupHug:
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 24th, 2006, 9:19 pm

jesse is allergic to rice, corn, wheat,soy , chicken, turkey.. i cant give her anything that has that or her ear will flare up worse then it is now.. i got amoxicillian and gave her a pill now.. the vet thinks her intestine is inflamed from the bones she ate.. i am battling a wicked ear infection to begin with with all the food she isnt supposed to eat that she got out of the garbage.. she had fish for dinner tonight with her meds.. the vet said if her stool is not better by monday i have to bring her in for more tests...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 24th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Jessie better be glad you love her!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby panda » March 24th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Amen to that
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 1:04 am

Bananas. Pumpkin (Plain, not pie filling). Rice. Jello?? (I've not used it but it helps people!) Can you use antidiarrhea for humans? Imodium I guess?
And Kaopectate.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 25th, 2006, 8:43 am

You have our sympathy here, wish i could help. Let us know how your guys are faring.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » March 25th, 2006, 9:41 am

How's Jesse doing?
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 10:53 am

still having the runs.. i cant give her rice as she is allergic to it. i ran out and got pumpkin, and her freaking ear flared up after i gave it to her, so pumpkin goes onher list of allergens.. thank god i have 5 bottles of pettastic in the house and lots of newspaper and towels..... jamie wants to killher.. she had the runs on the white/blue carpet again in my living room, and all over the downstairs..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 25th, 2006, 11:21 am

:( Oh no, how frustrating. Best wishes your way hope she's feeling better really soon!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » March 25th, 2006, 11:27 am

Poor baby! And definitely frustrating.

What exactly are you feeding her currently and/or what is she allergic to. I know it's all above but I'd have to pick through stuff, I'm kinda lazy, so if you could list it for me that would rock . . . please :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 11:33 am

You can give dogs pepto bismol too :| I'm so sorry she's sick. It's terribly trying and very costly too :-(

BTW Amox will give her the runs even if she was not sick in the 1st place!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 11:50 am

i gave her pepto too.. i feel so bad for her.. i cant even leave today because then when i come home i will have to clean up yet again... right now they are all outside while i am scrubbing the carpet and floors.. grrrrr... i had to take a break.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 25th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Damn, this sucks......
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 25th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Alright this is what I would do:
*skip her next meal
*for the following meal do mashed potatoes (with no milk or butter mixed in) and boiled lean hamburg (or whatever meat she is not allergic to)
*continue the flagyl/metro
*personally I would not give the amox, but i'm not a vet, so don't take that as truth, but the flag is an antibiotic also which does not inflame the bowels like amoxi can.

Hopefully this will stop the diarrhea, even though I'm sure her stool will still be loose when she goes, but she shouldn't be having anymore accidents.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Yeah I think the amox will make it worse.
ME, is she crated at all?
It might help calm her intestines to confine her, either way.
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health