Stinky Skunk Perfume

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mommatococoa » December 13th, 2007, 9:31 am

So I think this thread goes here.. feel free to move it if its not.

My mom lives out in the middle of nowhere (Spotslyvania, VA) and she has 2 dogs (Rott/Lab mix and Collie/Lab mix) and my step dad takes them to their kennel (guess thats what you call it) at 4am and "Say hello to my stinky friend".... all 3 of them gets sprayed by a skunk!!!!

The dogs smell horrible and they cant get the smell off of them. They have tried tomato soup and other crap. Any advice on how to get the smell off them?
Jannelle

------------------------

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. "
mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 13th, 2007, 10:30 am

You could use Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover and let them soak in it for about 10 minutes, then shampoo out. You may need to repeat this process several times, depending on how "skunked" the dogs got.

Use a shampoo that will help strip the stinky skunk oil out -- the original yellow Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo works well, as does the original liquid Ivory dish soap and Dawn dish soap.

Or, you can try the peroxide mixture:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap (Dawn or Ivory)

Work into the dog's coat, let sit as long as the dog cooperates, then shampoo out. Again, it may take more than once.

The peroxide *may* bleach the color out of the dogs' fur.

The skunk smell will come back on damp/humid days, and whenever they get wet, for probably the next few months. It won't be over-powering, though. :)

And get rid of the collars if they are leather or nylon. Those fabrics absorb the skunk oil and it's virtually impossible to remove.

Best of luck to your parents!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mommatococoa » December 13th, 2007, 10:50 am

Thanks so much!

The skunk was on the back porch and I believe they got sprayed as soon as they walked out of the house!
Jannelle

------------------------

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. "
mommatococoa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby luvmypitties » December 20th, 2007, 12:35 am

Hey Spotsylvania is not too far out in the middle of no where. Thats where I live lol.

Winston my cat came home the other night and he stinks like a skunk. He got a bath with that shampoo you are talking about and he smelled better but went out the next night and came home smelling again. I think his new girlfriend is a skunk. Oh well.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby Dawnflash » February 24th, 2008, 3:38 am

Zeus was skunked twice this past year....I couldn't believe he didn't learn the first time that the black cat with the white stripe doesn't taste good at all!!! :pissed:

During a hot summer night, while the dog is outside on patrol...I hear bushes rustle, the dog bark...go outside and the entire yard is reeking, so I run and shut every window! That skunk oil permeates everywhere!
He runs into the garage with the dead skunk, drops it off and leaves it for me! :shock: It's dead and the size of a big cat....YUCK!

First, the skunk gets bagged----Got a 5 gallon bucket, put garbage bag liner, grabbed the fireplace tongs to pick it up and toss in bag, then immediately closed and tied bag----my eyes watered and I could hardly breathe! It was 11pm on a Sunday night, I was getting ready for bed...ARGH!! I had nobody to help me and HAD to do the deed.... :rolleyes2: >(

Zeus starts rolling all over the garage floor, frantically trying to rub the smell off, drooling yellowish foam....I got paper towels to wipe the drool....left him outside to "air out" 15 minutes or so....

I researched on line that you do not let them in the house until you get the "Skunk Bath" stuff ready...so got the bathroom ready, towels on floor, water warm....You don't let him inside until everything is ready so you can get him straight to the bathroom----without dropping and rolling skunk stink on your carpet!!

Get a small plastic pitcher to mix the solution, which is 1/2 cup baking soda (hopefully a fresh box) and 1 full quart of hydrogen peroxide, and a tablespoon of Dawn dish liquid (what they use on the oil-fouled birds because it cuts the oil so well). The skunk oil is neutralized by OXYGEN....all that tomato juice stuff is a myth!

You have to breathe through your mouth it's so disgusting! Get him into the shower, DON'T WET HIM first, you want to soak him with the skunk mix, cut the skunk oil with peroxide first, since water DILUTES the mixture...the mix is foamy, so get a big sponge and carefully pour HALF the mix to cover him, lather it gently all over (AVOID HEAD/EYES-I covered his face with a wet washcloth) and leave it on as long as possible, then rinse....then repeat with second half of shampoo mix. The longer you leave it on each time the better....By now your eyes will be watering and you'll be ready to puke, trust me!

Rinse well, and if his eyes are irritated, use plain saline solution (for contac lens use) and gently dribble it into his eyes to rinse them. Then towel him down and at least the really NASTY smell will be cut by at least 70%. (Just 70% you say? Trust me, you will praise God at this point)

They still stink for almost 3 months....I threw away his leather collar. I used FEBREEZE spray repeatedly in the garage, his bed, or where he stepped on the way to the shower!

If they get damp, they reek....he had to sleep outside in garage a few weeks.

Funny how a slow moving little critter can knock a adult male pit bull on his behind! What a SUPER defense mechanism! YIKES!!! I'm getting nauseous even typing this right now.....PEE-YEW!!!
:dogRun:
DawnFlash

No Rain...No Rainbows
Dawnflash
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » February 24th, 2008, 9:29 am

After all that, they still stink for 3 months?? :shocker:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » February 24th, 2008, 10:49 am

Wow, unbelievable... I'd hurl, no doubt.
Jenn
undecided

Postby DemoDick » February 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm

My dog got skunked when I was a teenager, and the single best thing I did was borrow a horse watering tub to bathe her OUTSIDE. If you know anyone who has gun dogs or coon dogs I would ask them, they deal with it more often than most of us. The peroxide/dish soap solution sounds like a good idea.

I would skunk-proof the dog ASAP. Until you train him to knock it off...he won't. He has learned that this is a fun game and will probably seek out skunks, and they're not exactly hard to find when you have a canine olfactory system.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Scout » February 24th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Knocking on wood that I don't ever have to go through something like that. :shock:
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby blackdoggy » July 16th, 2008, 10:39 pm

I need some one to test my thinking here, if I am not mistaken Simple Green should kill the skunk order dead and not be toxic to our pooches. According to the information that I have on Simple green it is used to remove petroleum oil from wildlife so I do not see why it would not work for ridding a dog of skunk. I will be trying this myself the next time my girl decides to go play with that pretty kitty with the white stripe down it's back.

BTW.
If you mix in 1/4 cup of straight simple green original concentrate to your laundry it is supposed to remove any mess.
Its not the dogs fault you got bit he thought you were trying to hurt me.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 17th, 2008, 7:46 am

I would "spot test" it on a very small area of your dog first (maybe on her belly or armpit where she cannot reach it to clean it off) and then give it a day or so to see if she has any sort of skin reaction. Remember that bullies tend to have more allergic reactions that involve their skin..... While SG does work on wild life, your dog may end up with severe skin problems.

Let me know if it works because that would be a fantastic alternative!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blackdoggy » July 17th, 2008, 2:09 pm

:? So you mean to say a bath with the stuff might irritate the skin even if it is part of a two part bath where sg goes on and off first then the normal flea & tick shampoo :confused: .
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 17th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Yeah.

Let me guess -- you already did it?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Mickle » July 17th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Buy Skunk Off..or SOS skunk shampoo...dont do any crazyyyy home remedies they usually set in the smell..Regardless of what u use the second they get wet they smell again!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby blackdoggy » July 17th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Nope I tried baking soda and dish soap, it helped but not enough I needed some hydrogen peroxide to have made it work properly.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 17th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Ah, okay. :D

Get that hydrogen peroxide (preferably a fresh new bottle) and try it again. :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blackdoggy » July 17th, 2008, 10:09 pm

For everyone thats wondering what I am talking about heres it is this is not only cheap but IT WORKS with out buying something from the pet store that won't remove cow manure odor let alone skunk,
* 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
* 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
* Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
* Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
* Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
* For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

BTW. Your pooch may get bleached in the process so don't be to surprised if your black dog comes out a little lighter or straight brown :mrgreen: .
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » July 18th, 2008, 7:20 am

Yes, that mixture does work quite well!

Did you try the Simple Green?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blackdoggy » July 18th, 2008, 9:23 am

Nope not yet I think my girl chased it off or the coyotes ate it (which is why no one gets let out after dark)
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health