Harley's got parvo :( UPDATE!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 9:30 am

Insomnia wrote:Harley got 1000cc of IV fluid today, but he act like he's super thirsty. He will wake up and walk around look for water. But when he drink water, sometime he will vomit. I just feel so bad for him, I had to leave some water out there.......should I take it away?

Can the vet maybe give you some subq's to take home just in case this happens again so you can give him some fluids?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Insomnia » March 20th, 2006, 9:49 am

nope...but I will sure ask tomorrow morning.

It's been 5 days, the only symptons that seem to got better is the diahrea. I'm sooo worried. I see he really wants to survive, but when can he start eating? The vet say not until he stops having any diahrea.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » March 20th, 2006, 11:09 am

While you're at the vet, ask about how to handle home care. I know he's weak but anything you put into his tummy is going to hurt it. I don't know about parvaid at all, so ask your vet...they are the ones who will know, because they have seen him.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » March 20th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I don't know much aboutparvo except that it's nasty...
Wishing you the best of luck with Harley, and take care of yourself too, you're the only one this dog can count on.

And it would just really suck if you made yourself sick.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Insomnia » March 21st, 2006, 5:00 am

some good news and bad news....

Parvaid will not get here, it's stuck at the customs, they have to examine the ingredient or something....err, it's gonna take like a week.

Good news...when I came home this morning from work, Harley saw me and started wagging his tail and try to run towards me...he is feeling soooo much better. However, he still cannot hold on water or food, will vomit and have diahrea if fed water. So the vet say still no water or food for the next 2 days first and then further examination. Still the same, daily 1000cc of IV. I carry him to the vet, but today he wanted to walk, so I took him to the door and he made a run inside. He didn't vomit nor diahrea all last night, but I fed him a little bit of pedialyte and a little bit of water then he vomit and diahrea again. So I think it's best for me to hold off for now.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 21st, 2006, 6:37 am

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this.

I agree with msvette, its really best to let his stomach rest a little, and that'd be no food or water. They may also be giving him vitamins in the fluids at the Hospital, have they mentioned anything to you??

Have you spoken with the Vet. about what you can feed once he's able to keep something down?? There are some diets that are easier for the stomach then others...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » March 21st, 2006, 8:27 am

Insomnia wrote:Good news...when I came home this morning from work, Harley saw me and started wagging his tail and try to run towards me...he is feeling soooo much better. However, he still cannot hold on water or food, will vomit and have diahrea if fed water. So the vet say still no water or food for the next 2 days first and then further examination. Still the same, daily 1000cc of IV. I carry him to the vet, but today he wanted to walk, so I took him to the door and he made a run inside. He didn't vomit nor diahrea all last night, but I fed him a little bit of pedialyte and a little bit of water then he vomit and diahrea again. So I think it's best for me to hold off for now.

It sounds like Harley is doing better. In my experience, and from what I've heard from other people, Parvo dogs are typically very lethargic if they get to the "no turning back" point. They won't wag their tails or anything.

Definitely hold off on food and anything else right now. His GI-Tract is inflamed. Giving him something to eat or drink just keeps it inflamed, and doesn't give it a chance to heal (same thing that occurs in humans). His little insides need a chance to heal. Follow the dr's advice about not feeding him or giving him anything to drink for the time being.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ccc2006 » March 21st, 2006, 1:00 pm

Insomnia wrote:some good news and bad news....

Parvaid will not get here, it's stuck at the customs, they have to examine the ingredient or something....err, it's gonna take like a week.

Good news...when I came home this morning from work, Harley saw me and started wagging his tail and try to run towards me...he is feeling soooo much better. However, he still cannot hold on water or food, will vomit and have diahrea if fed water. So the vet say still no water or food for the next 2 days first and then further examination. Still the same, daily 1000cc of IV. I carry him to the vet, but today he wanted to walk, so I took him to the door and he made a run inside. He didn't vomit nor diahrea all last night, but I fed him a little bit of pedialyte and a little bit of water then he vomit and diahrea again. So I think it's best for me to hold off for now.

So sorry you have to go through this! I Since you weren't able to get the Parvaid, I found this link to stuff called Parvoguard. Maybe it would help?

http://www.parvoguard.com/#order

Hope the little guy can pull through this.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 21st, 2006, 1:27 pm

ccc2006 wrote:
Insomnia wrote:some good news and bad news....

So sorry you have to go through this! I Since you weren't able to get the Parvaid, I found this link to stuff called Parvoguard. Maybe it would help?

http://www.parvoguard.com/#order

Hope the little guy can pull through this.

Hey, thank you! Unfortunately, Parvoguard do not ship to Taiwan (even though they advertise they ship world wide!!), and the import process is the same as Parvaid, it will be stuck at customs for ingredient inspection.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 21st, 2006, 1:34 pm

fingers and paws crossed here for harley to pull thru!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 21st, 2006, 1:38 pm

Not that I avocate breaking the law, bit if you have someone mail them to you there is a much better chance of them making it through customs with no problem.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm

Not that I'm an expert here (by ANY means) but it sounds like Harley is getting better and hopefully will pull through. :) Kudos to you for all your hard work, and I'm sure your exhausted.
I thought there was pretty much a window of 72 hours or so, that if they make it through they'll pretty much be fine? While I know they aren't completely recovered and still need monitoring / fluids isn't it safe to consider the main danger as passed? :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby Insomnia » March 21st, 2006, 3:05 pm

JennKBM wrote:Not that I'm an expert here (by ANY means) but it sounds like Harley is getting better and hopefully will pull through. :) Kudos to you for all your hard work, and I'm sure your exhausted.
I thought there was pretty much a window of 72 hours or so, that if they make it through they'll pretty much be fine? While I know they aren't completely recovered and still need monitoring / fluids isn't it safe to consider the main danger as passed? :|

I thought the worst is over!! But the vet seem very reluctant to confirm that...I asked them if the worst is over, they say still have to monitor because he is still having diahrea, although a lot less. They won't say if he's out of danger yet, so I guess have to be really careful still.

mpn13, I think at this point, it's too late to try that because by mail, it won't get here for 2 weeks, that's that's priority already. Only UPS and FedEx and private shipping company can do overnights, and all their stuff have to go through customs. I can't feed him the emergency right now aways because he will bite me if I try to force it down on him, I don't think it's a good idea to force him anything right now even the Parvaid....I dunno..but he may just barf it up.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 21st, 2006, 6:19 pm

I have another question.....well, Harley stinks right now, from the urine when he was too drained to get out of bed. The vet told me not to bath him until he is better, I tried wiping him down, but that's pretty much useless.....any solutions?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 21st, 2006, 6:47 pm

Try using baby wipes, but be sure you keep him in a warm room so you don't stress his system from cold.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » March 21st, 2006, 8:30 pm

Insomnia wrote:I have another question.....well, Harley stinks right now, from the urine when he was too drained to get out of bed. The vet told me not to bath him until he is better, I tried wiping him down, but that's pretty much useless.....any solutions?

Try baby powder or a dry shampoo
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » March 22nd, 2006, 2:57 am

the key is to avoid all stress to his brain and body :) Both affect the immune system.

Is his diarrhea any better now??

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Insomnia » March 22nd, 2006, 5:39 am

great news....

This afternoon, I left Harley at the vet so I can get some sleep, after the IV, no vomit, no diahrea for the whole afternoon. The vet felt he was good enough for a bath since he was so stinky. So I just picked up Harley 5 hours later, he's jumping, wagging his tail and won't stay in the box I brought to carry him home. So he walked home, although it's only a block. Poor Harley, skin & bones.....hopefully he'll have no more diahrea so he can eat soon!!! He's looking everywhere for food! I'm really excited, but still very concerned, because if the diahrea don't stop, he's not really any better in the vet's pov.

I just also threw out all the old blankets, bleached his dog house and the whole area, dried it, so now everything including Harley is nice and clean!
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 10:29 am

GREAT news!!!! Yay Harley!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2006, 10:30 am

Go Harley!! I'm glad he's showing improvement. Remember that feeding him at this point could cause a setback so be strong!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health