Top 5 dog kibbles rated

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » January 14th, 2006, 12:24 am

Purple wrote:Mine will leave puddles of drool on the kitchen floor, for LETTUCE!!!!

:crazy:

Connor loves apples, they combine his two favorite things in the whole world - a ball and eating. Ruby likes bananas and carrots.

Connor will eat about anything you give him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jesseca » January 17th, 2006, 5:20 pm

What are people's thoughts on California Natural? My cats have been eating it and love it. I just changed my lab (who has allergies) over to it and he seems to be doing ok. I was just curious. Also, how long does a dog need to be on a food before you can totally tell if it's working (ie: allergies)?
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » January 25th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Wellness Simple Solutions venison. We started her off on Solid Gold Wolf King but liked this better. She has a really nice coat...!
Last edited by SpiritFngrz on February 27th, 2006, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 26th, 2006, 6:03 pm

I feed my two Timberwolf.

They like all of them, but I stay away from the Southwest Chicken because Birdie has allergies to corn.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Favorite Kitty » January 26th, 2006, 7:53 pm

I feed Haven Innova now and his stools are still softer than they should be. I asked my pet food guy and he just told me to switch from the Puppy Innova to the Adult Innova. No change in stools at all. The best thing he has at the store is Evo. I wanted to get Haven on that, but maybe I should try something else.

I just looked at the Timberwolf website and am interested in trying that but I have never seen it around here. I did notice that there is a woman that distributes it about 40 minutes from me. Do you, that buy this, get yours from the maker or do you buy from a distributor? Is it cheaper to use one or the other?
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » January 26th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Evo is a good food, Ruby was on that for about 9 months.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby turtle » January 26th, 2006, 9:27 pm

I'd have to disagree about EVO. I think it is a dangerous food to feed because of the high protein content. No dog needs 42% protein, that is way too high.

There are no long term studies done on this food. I do know a few people who fed it and were not at all happy with the results.

Timberwolf, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Canidae, those are all good kibbles which are pretty easy to get. Those have normal protein levels of 24% to 26%.

I buy my Timberwolf on line and have it shipped since there is no seller in my state. It's delivered in 2 days by UPS and costs me $7 shipping for the 33 pound bag. With the price of gas these days, that's something to think about if you have to drive a long ways.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby a-bull » February 17th, 2006, 10:17 am

regarding onions, not good for dogs at all . . . yikes . . .

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/onions.html
a-bull
I live here

Postby bustersmama » February 17th, 2006, 3:37 pm

BullyVW wrote:I have fed Wellness, Canidae, and some other crap not worth mentioning. Currenlty, I do about 3/4 Canidae and 1/4 RAW....and my dogs are great.

Recently I've been reading up on Prairie. What's the thought on their kibble?

Praire is Natures Variety, right? Thats what NV stands for in the begining of the thread. I feed NV and have for the past 6 months, nothing special for my dogs. Buster did NOT do well on Canidae though, he was the allergy King on Canidae. I like NV mostly because I have a variety of choices to switch their foods within the same company. They make all kinds of NV, Venison, Beef, Lamb and now this new blend that is grain free (Raw Instinct) which use Tapioca to bond the kibble.

To be honest though, I contact HAG about what she feeds her dogs becuase I think the pictures she posts of them and the dog balls in her avatar on *** are super shiney and what I can see of the actual coat look great- I was thinking of switching, she raves about it. Plus I can get it locally and cut my 20 shipping per bag out of my monthly expenses.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » February 17th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Yes, Prairie is what Nature's Variety calls their kibble. I feed mostly the Timberwolf and raw but the NV is a good food and I've feed it too. The variety in both of those kibbles is nice, you can rotate within a brand to give them variation in their diet. Who wants to eat the same thing day after day?

HartAGold feeds Premium Edge. It's a decent food and I have fed it in the past without problems. It's better than a lot of kibbles, but it's not up to the same standards as the TW, NV, and the others at the beginning of the thread. It's also made by Diamond who had all the trouble with the tainted dog foods just a few months ago. It does not have any corn in it which is good, and that's why that line was not part of the recall. But if you are feeding NV, it's a step down quality wise...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 18th, 2006, 12:30 am

HartAGold feeds Premium Edge. It's a decent food and I have fed it in the past without problems. It's better than a lot of kibbles, but it's not up to the same standards as the TW, NV, and the others at the beginning of the thread. It's also made by Diamond who had all the trouble with the tainted dog foods just a few months ago. It does not have any corn in it which is good, and that's why that line was not part of the recall. But if you are feeding NV, it's a step down quality wise...

I fed Premium Edge for a short while, I had good results with it. Munkee has allergies & I had been feeding him Wellness Fish & Potato, the results were the same & the price was about $5 a bag cheaper. I didn't feed it very long, only a couple of months before I switched them all to raw.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » February 18th, 2006, 9:40 am

you pay about the same with the TW whether you order it online or thru a pet store.. TW charges $7 for shipping per bag, and you pay for gas to go get it at a local store.. i do both, because sometimes the local store will have a buy 10 get one free thing going on, so you can make out that way with a store .
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » February 18th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Yes, with the high cost of gas these days, it's not a bad deal to get the TW delivered to your door.

And I noticed the last time I ordered a bag, about a month ago, they had changed it so you pay less shipping for a smaller bag. It was still $7 for the big 33 pound bag but it was much less for the 16 pound bag.

It's such a high quality food that I feed a lot less of it. For one 50 pound dog being feed half kibble and half raw, the 33 pound bag lasted me about 6 1/2 months! I only give her about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of kibble at night, and a raw chicken leg or thigh in the morning. She was actually gaining weight on that so I've lowered the amounts a bit.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Miakoda » February 23rd, 2006, 1:38 am

What do you all think of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance? It's what I feed all my dogs after doing several 4 month long food trials with various foods (DVP vs. Wellness vs. Canidae). My dogs looked horrible on Wellness, pooped ungodly amounts, & had the worst gas 24/7. With Canidae, I had several dogs have allergic reactions to who knows what, but even those that didn't, didn't seem to thrive well with it. I've been very pleased with the results of Natural Balance especially with the Venison formula for my walking allergy dog.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 23rd, 2006, 12:07 pm

Miakoda wrote:What do you all think of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance? It's what I feed all my dogs after doing several 4 month long food trials with various foods (DVP vs. Wellness vs. Canidae). My dogs looked horrible on Wellness, pooped ungodly amounts, & had the worst gas 24/7. With Canidae, I had several dogs have allergic reactions to who knows what, but even those that didn't, didn't seem to thrive well with it. I've been very pleased with the results of Natural Balance especially with the Venison formula for my walking allergy dog.

I checked into it but I was bothered by the fact that potato was listed as the first ingredient. Other than that it looked pretty good & I did consider it.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » February 23rd, 2006, 12:34 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
Miakoda wrote:What do you all think of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance? It's what I feed all my dogs after doing several 4 month long food trials with various foods (DVP vs. Wellness vs. Canidae). My dogs looked horrible on Wellness, pooped ungodly amounts, & had the worst gas 24/7. With Canidae, I had several dogs have allergic reactions to who knows what, but even those that didn't, didn't seem to thrive well with it. I've been very pleased with the results of Natural Balance especially with the Venison formula for my walking allergy dog.

I checked into it but I was bothered by the fact that potato was listed as the first ingredient. Other than that it looked pretty good & I did consider it.

Yeah, that's the Potato & Duck formula which I don't feed. I feed the venison & the ultra.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 23rd, 2006, 12:47 pm

Oh.DUH.......never mind. :oops:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » February 23rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Oh.DUH.......never mind. :oops:

LOL. :itsOK:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 23rd, 2006, 1:58 pm

gf turtle wrote:I'd have to disagree about EVO. I think it is a dangerous food to feed because of the high protein content. No dog needs 42% protein, that is way too high.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with protein? We need amino acids for everything. I guess the argument could be kidney problems, but...
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Judy » February 24th, 2006, 8:06 pm

I feed Innova. What is the difference between the regular and the EVO?
Judy
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health