Top 5 dog kibbles rated

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Sue » February 24th, 2006, 8:41 pm

I think the biggest is that EVO doesn't have any grains, which can be a major cause of allerigies.
Innova
EVO
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Judy » February 24th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Sue wrote:I think the biggest is that EVO doesn't have any grains, which can be a major cause of allerigies.
Innova
EVO

Oh okay, I see. Thanks for the links.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Favorite Kitty » February 24th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Haven is now on Timberwolf's chicken formula. He has been for about a week. I used all his Innova tonight, so he will be on *straight* Timberwolf :)

A week into this, he still has gas, he still poops 4 times a day, and still itches and chews. How long do I give *this* food until I spend another $57 on something new? I know it will take a little time, but I don't want him to have to live like this for any longer than he has to. He must be killing himself with his gas, because I know I want to keel over! :shock:
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm

if he is still itching and chewing his feet he MIGHT be allergic to the chicken... or grass... my gsd can only eat the bison, elk, ocean blue as they dont contain chicken or turkey or grains...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 24th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Yep, Munkee has chicken allergies. I'd start your dog a completely new protien like fish or bison.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:Haven is now on Timberwolf's chicken formula.

The Timberwolf Chicken has blue corn in it, it is the only one of the TW formulas that has corn. It's a very small amount but many dogs have allergies to corn.

I've been feeding the TW for some time now and love the food. My dog does great on it. But I have not fed the Chicken formula, I use the Elk and the Bison, and plan to try the Ocean Blue, the Lamb, and the Venison ones also.

It's a great food but if you're seeing itchy feet, you might try a different formula. Or what about your carpets? Do you use anythng on them? Some dogs are lalergic to carpet cleaners and such.

And when you try a new food, it takes about 3 weeks to a month to see improvement.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Doreen wrote:
gf turtle wrote:I'd have to disagree about EVO. I think it is a dangerous food to feed because of the high protein content. No dog needs 42% protein, that is way too high.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with protein? We need amino acids for everything. I guess the argument could be kidney problems, but...

There is nothing wrong with protein per se, it's the high amount. Most dry dog foods are 22% to 26% protein which is normal, but 42% protein is way too much.

Feeding it for a short time might not cause harm but a long term diet of such high protein would injure the dog's kidneys as they are not meant to have such high protein levels.

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Purple » February 25th, 2006, 9:03 pm

gfturtle, may I cross post this?
Purple
I live here

Postby turtle » February 26th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Purple wrote:gfturtle, may I cross post this?

Sure! I have no problem with that.

The original info about the foods was from Pat (barbponys) from PBF and she gave me permission to cross post it. I condensed it into a concise post and added the links to the food makers' web sites to make it easier to use.

I've spent about 3 or 4 years now reading and learning about dog foods and dog nutrition and I have to say that feeding your dog a high quality diet is the single best thing you can do for them. So I am glad to have the word spread around!

(PS - That's a cool avatar you have right now on PBF! Is that Purple dressed in green? LOL...)

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 27th, 2006, 12:56 pm

turtle I like your new avatar
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm

yah that would've been my caveat...the kidneys...
Sorry I'm a pathologist I question everything
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Romanwild » February 27th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I don't buy into any of the "too much protein" stuff. There is no scientific evidence to support that there is kidney damage from eating high protein long term.

Even if you believe that dogs are far removed from their wolf cousins there can't be that much change to their system that would dictate that their bodies prefer carbs to protein.

Kibble was invented around wwI. It's new and it's not normal. If I got off my ass I would get started on raw. I will...eventually.

In the mean time I can't imagine my dogs doing better on anything else. [ I use Evo ]
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 27th, 2006, 4:00 pm

i used evo on my dogs for a while back. sonny my rott who has kidney disease did HORRIBLE on the evo... his blood levels went haywire, his coat got dull, brittle, and he looked like hell... once i got him off the evo his blood tests and kidney tests went back to what they were before the evo... which is why if you have dogs on evo you should do bloodwork before, during and after to make sure there are no underlying problems... jesse did horrible on it too, her fur got dull, was falling off worse then it usually does, and she had a smell.. rufus did horrible on it too.. some dogs just dont do good on higher protein . :|
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » February 27th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Maryellen wrote: some dogs just dont do good on higher protein . :|

That's a better point to make.

I wasn't saying all dogs should be high protein. Every dog is different. Just like humans. There is no one good diet.

For instance. I do great with plenty of protein, fruits veggies and a little whole grain. Add bread and pasta, sugar and you have a bloated fat depressed man. :| My best friend can eat pasta all day and still stay slim without high blood sugar levels.

D & D both have awesome coats. No eye boogers. High energy. Very little shedding, other then normal amounts. I can't seem to make myself switch because they are doing so well. Small light colored poop that turn white within a couple of days. The proof is in the poop! :poop: :lol3:

Experimenting is the best thing to do. That and read a lot!

I'm just don't agree that high protein, in general, is bad for dogs.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » February 28th, 2006, 9:05 pm

So, Roman, if my dog has very dark poops it might mean what? I noticed since the TimberWolf change his stools are almost black.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Romanwild » February 28th, 2006, 9:17 pm

I'm obsessed with poop yet I do not know everything...yet. :D

My understanding is that the lighter it is the more of it they are absorbing. My kids poop is like little nuggets most of the time. I've been told that is a desireable trait as well. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 1st, 2006, 3:25 pm

Romanwild wrote:
Maryellen wrote: some dogs just dont do good on higher protein . :|

That's a better point to make.

I wasn't saying all dogs should be high protein. Every dog is different. Just like humans. There is no one good diet.

I'm just don't agree that high protein, in general, is bad for dogs.

I agree...if one wanted to argue protein, my ONLY thought would be kidneys but you are correct in saying that there isn't enough scientific evidence to back it up.
That said, it's also true that what's good for one is not good for another. Pits are very muscular dogs- when they exercise they definitely use that protein to keep muscle tone. When we got our girl my husband started running with her and she definitely built some nice lean muscle.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 24th, 2006, 6:37 pm

why would someone withdraw permission to post information if they were given credit?? what childish motivation is there behind that?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jesseca » May 24th, 2006, 6:47 pm

LOL
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 24th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Well, some people would rather let personalities come before helping the dogs. :| What can you say?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health