Diamond Food AGAIN

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » March 15th, 2006, 8:17 pm

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE

Subject:

DIAMOND

Date:

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:45 EST

You may think the Diamond food scare is over, or that only a limited amount of product is involved. Not so. On Monday, March 6 - after 3 feedings of Diamond's Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables - we almost lost 3 of our 4 GSDs. The only reason it didn't effect the 16 week old is because we kept her on other feed. Within 20 minutes of ingesting their dinner, 2 of the dogs proceeded to vomit dark green undigested food and within another 2 minutes they were foaming at the mouth and stiff-leg gaiting. Another 5 minutes and they were having what I - as a nurse - would refer to as petit mal seizures. After a traumatic night at the local emergency clinic, the diagnosis was "food intoxication from Premium Edge kibble".

The following day, upon contacting Diamond in Meta, Missouri, I was assured they would work with me in this and stand behind their product....the reimbursement for any and all vet care, etc was also discussed. Upon asking for financial assistance for a test Diamond requested at Cornell ($300.00/dog minimum) - a test that per my vet and those at Cornell said was a CYA call on Diamond's part - they changed their mind on "helping out". I refused that particular test, awaiting results from another analysis on samples.

Notification came yesterday from University of Missouri Vet Met Diagnostic Lab: "Each of the four submitted samples of dog food contained approximately 0.5 ppm of vomitoxin, as detected by thin layer chromotography...".

Judging from no reference to this on Premium Edge's website (incredible how many products Diamond makes but very difficult to trace back to them - each feed/product seems to have it's own website/contact), no contact as of yet from Diamond and certainly no "standing behind" their product it appears they are not overly concerned about their consumers.

Research your food thoroughly. If it is even remotely related to Diamond - DO NOT FEED!! If you are so inclined, please write concerns to Diamond - you can reference me if so desired. My particular contact was Dr. Brookshire, Director of Veterinary Services.

Christine Buff

Sr. K9 Handler/Trainer, Highland SAR

Member, Rescue International

K9 Director, New York State Federation of SAR
Last edited by Maryellen on March 15th, 2006, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 15th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Holy crap!! Premium Edge TOO???
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 15th, 2006, 9:50 pm

yep, they are made by diamond. the premium edge i think was recalled last time too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 16th, 2006, 6:20 pm

They make many foods at their plant . There is not supposed to be cross contamination from what they said last time
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 16th, 2006, 6:26 pm

i know. the timberwolf is made at one of their plants too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby valliesong » March 16th, 2006, 6:36 pm

eek! i feed canned chicken soup food to one of my cats. chicken soup is made by diamond, too. :cry:
Val

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue & Referral - http://www.ebbrr.org
One by One Cat Rescue - http://1by1catrescue.org
valliesong
Just Whelped

Postby Carla » March 24th, 2006, 12:40 am

Maryellen wrote: 0.5 ppm of vomitoxin

...."vomitoxin"?

Carla
Carla
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 24th, 2006, 10:27 am

i just crossposted this, so i have no idea what that stuff is
Maryellen
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 24th, 2006, 11:09 am

Maryellen wrote:i just crossposted this, so i have no idea what that stuff is

If you read different reports (including the one listed below and via the Dept of Agriculture) 0.5 ppm of vomitoxin is NOT that much....

Here's some information:

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/GQ/GQ-22.html

Also (this is a response listed by Diamond Dog foods in response to the original complaint above):

"I work for Diamond Pet Foods. The list of products that we manufacture is partially incorrect. I wanted to put a corrected listing on your site for those of you that are interested. I also wanted to explain in more detail about the vomitoxin that was found in the Premium Edge Adult Dog Chicken & Rice sample from a scientific perspective.

We manufacture: Diamond, Professional, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Nutra Nuggets, Country Value, and the international label NutraGold. We do manufacture the Kirkland Signature brand for Costco.

We did have a positive result of 0.5 ppm in the samples of the Premium Edge Chicken & Rice Adult Dog that were submitted to the University of Missouri's Toxicology Lab. The FDA limit is 2 ppm in finished product. The symptoms are feed refusal, vomiting, and diarrhea above this level.

Wheat and barley are the two types of grain that are susceptible to vomitoxin, barley is an ingredient in the Premium Edge. We test all of our incoming barley and wheat mids and our rejection limit is 2.1 ppm, which is well below the 5 ppm allowed by the FDA in raw ingredients.

We offered the testing on the urine upon the recommendation of a veterinary toxicologist. He felt that there was something else that caused the problem for these dogs and that finding it in the urine was a lot easier than finding it in the food. It was not something that we did as a cover-up move and we never withdrew this offer of assistance. Maybe I did not communicate this clearly and if this is the case then I apologize."

Also (from Diamond):

After speaking with Cornell in regards to first tests (0.5ppm vomitoxin) conducted at University of Missouri, the toxicologists are in agreement that there would be a need of approximately 8ppm vomotoxin in order to make the dogs this ill. Obviously that was not the case. NYS Ag and Markets continues to be suspicious as to other possible toxins in the feed itself or some kind of tampering after production/shipping and are in the process of conducting more analyses. From our end we will continue to test and monitor the dogs for same.
It is interesting, per FDA and USDA, that these toxins are allowed at all in feeds - human food included - and despite the allowances and recommended values, even small amounts *can* make individual animals extremely ill.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Nutrition & Health