Holistic Treatments For Ailing Livers

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby odnarb » March 13th, 2006, 11:54 pm

Brando's bloodwork came back with his liver enzymes climbing even higher yet.

I work in a western medicine practice, and have little experience with holistic treatments. Does anybody have any recommendations for treaments for ailing livers, and dosages?

Thanks!
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 14th, 2006, 12:08 am

I've used milk thistle to help protect my liver. Not sure if it works the same way in dogs.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SisMorphine » March 14th, 2006, 12:34 am

I work in a partially holistic practice and can ask when I go into work tomorrow afternoon.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby odnarb » March 14th, 2006, 12:40 am

SisMorphine wrote:I work in a partially holistic practice and can ask when I go into work tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks! The values of concern are a high ALT 150 (normal 5-60) and Resting Bile Acids 33.5 (normal below 7). They have been high for a few years, and are slowly getting higher. Other than what is on paper, you would never know that anything is wrong. It was found on a routine wellness panel a few years ago.

I greatly appreciate it :)
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Iggy » March 14th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Dandelion Leaf Extract is good -- and avoid all other meds! MT is great to protect the liver... I think Dandelion nourishes.
Iggy
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health