questions about livestock ivermectin for HW

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby valliesong » March 12th, 2006, 3:03 pm

i am going over to tractor supply to get some ivermectin and pyrantel to use as HW medication, as i have run out of iverhart. do i just estimate the same mcg/mg dose as they would get in the tablets? i know some of you had posted this information on other boards, so maybe you could repost it here?
Val

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue & Referral - http://www.ebbrr.org
One by One Cat Rescue - http://1by1catrescue.org
valliesong
Just Whelped

Postby Miakoda » March 12th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Here is the actual amount of Ivomec actually needed for the prevention of heartworms.

The proven dosages are:
Heartworm prevention - 0.003-0.0066 mg/lb
Roundworm - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb
Hookworm - 0.023 mg/lb
Microfilaricide - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb single dose (Let your veterinary treat!)

The proven dosage for a 51-100lbs dog 272mcg. This is the amount of Ivomec in Heartgard (Brown Tablets).
Ivomec 1% solution contains 10,000 mcg (micrograms), which Ivomec delivers in 1mL (cc). A dog only needs 3 mcg of Ivomec, per pound of body weight per month to keep them heartworm free!

So - if 1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000 mcg, we can bring that number down by mixing it with propylene glycol (don‘t use water, oils, milk, etc. the Ivomec won‘t mixed correctly. So you‘ll never know the amount of Ivomec you‘re actually giving). Which actually works as a carrier agent for the Ivomec. 9 parts - propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec. That will deliver 1,000 mcg of Ivomec per 1 cc. Then, you only give (orally) 0.1 cc of the mixed Ivomec per 30 lbs of body weight.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby valliesong » March 12th, 2006, 8:46 pm

i got 1.87% ivermectin paste, which is the standard horse wormer. it is a 6.08g/0.21 oz. tube. where do i get propylene glycol, and any idea of how much i mix in?
Val

Ethical Bull Breed Rescue & Referral - http://www.ebbrr.org
One by One Cat Rescue - http://1by1catrescue.org
valliesong
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 12th, 2006, 8:58 pm

I got the paste once too, as far as I know you don't have to mix that. I just gave them each a dot of it about the size of a chocolate chip. BUT, the dogs HATED IT!!!! It tastes very bitter. I had to put the dot in a huge ball of peanut butter to disquise it enough for them to eat it. They would find it in cheese, lunch meat, anything. peanut butter or ground meat was the only thing i could trick them with.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » March 12th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Try Gerber baby food (the second stage) -- they have pureed beef, lamb, chicken, and ham, and my dogs will do backflips for some of that! We disguise all their pills in it, and they just gulp it down.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jaime » March 13th, 2006, 7:42 am

i have ivermectrin paste and yes it is 1.87%- i dose my horses with it but will never mess around and give it to my dogs- too risky in my book and HW pills really aren't that expensive :| it costs me 10.99 per tube to deworm my horses
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 13th, 2006, 12:06 pm

You can get the generic Ivermectin paste for under $5.00/tube!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jaime » March 13th, 2006, 12:57 pm

msvette2u wrote:You can get the generic Ivermectin paste for under $5.00/tube!

i don't use just ivermectrin anymore for the horses- it is zimectrin gold-

i know though, it is much cheaper now.... still though i would never risk dosing my dogs with even reg. zimectrin or equimectrin when you can buy HW preventative online cheap
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Jaime wrote:
msvette2u wrote:You can get the generic Ivermectin paste for under $5.00/tube!

i don't use just ivermectrin anymore for the horses- it is zimectrin gold-

i know though, it is much cheaper now.... still though i would never risk dosing my dogs with even reg. zimectrin or equimectrin when you can buy HW preventative online cheap

It's safe you most breeds except for collies, I've been dosing with it for years as have many others I know. Never a problem from anyone I know of that uses it. It's the same thing that is in the chewables, jsut much cheaper.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jaime » March 13th, 2006, 6:58 pm

not to sound stupid lol but why is is ok for most dogs and not collies? :? i really don't know but am curious
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 13th, 2006, 7:19 pm

It's not just Collies, I wouldn't trust it with any herding breed. I've seen a couple of Aust. Shep's that died as a result of Ivomec and I've seen toxicity cases with other breeds that luckily lived with treatment.
For some reason the herding breeds, especially Collies are sensitive to Ivomec and their system doesn't handle it. Collies actually have a mutated gene that allows the Ivomec to cross the blood-brain barrier and then it affects the central nervous system.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 13th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I forgot to add that they are not doing studies similar to the ones they did on Collies to see if other breeds that seem to be affected (Australian Shepherds, Shelties, Border Collies, and Old English Sheepdogs) have a similar gene mutation.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » July 31st, 2006, 9:28 am

I know this is a hundred years old topic!!!But I just want to know before I order, is this the one that you guys are talking about??? :wink:
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_family.asp?family_id=247&Tree=&mscssid=7F9710FA26DA4553A0E0B18012DBDC24gift=false&giftid=&

And also how can I know how much should I give to my dogs,and how often? :oops:
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 31st, 2006, 10:24 am

That's the one!! I just guess the amount to give when I give the paste ( I prefer the liquid), I give about 1/2 the size of a toothbrush full. They HATE it so I have to hide it real good in peanut butter, I jsut push a bit out & mix it

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » July 31st, 2006, 12:12 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:That's the one!! I just guess the amount to give when I give the paste ( I prefer the liquid), I give about 1/2 the size of a toothbrush full. They HATE it so I have to hide it real good in peanut butter, I jsut push a bit out & mix it

But Debbie,if I have almost 30# difference between dogs,how can I know how much isn't too much?I can't give them the same?
If I get the liquid,how much should I give then?Like to a 50# dog?
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 31st, 2006, 1:58 pm

Here's the dosage for the liquid, not sure on the paste since my dogs are close in weight. I give Ollie about 1/2 what I give the pit bulls.

Here is the actual amount of Ivomec actually needed for the prevention of heartworms.

The proven dosages are:
Heartworm prevention - 0.003-0.0066 mg/lb
Roundworm - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb
Hookworm - 0.023 mg/lb
Microfilaricide - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb single dose (Let your veterinary treat!)

The proven dosage for a 51-100lbs dog 272mcg. This is the amount of Ivomec in Heartgard (Brown Tablets).
Ivomec 1% solution contains 10,000 mcg (micrograms), which Ivomec delivers in 1mL (cc). A dog only needs 3 mcg of Ivomec, per pound of body weight per month to keep them heartworm free!

So - if 1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000 mcg, we can bring that number down by mixing it with propylene glycol (don?t use water, oils, milk, etc. the Ivomec won?t mixed correctly. So you?ll never know the amount of Ivomec you?re actually giving). Which actually works as a carrier agent for the Ivomec. 9 parts - propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec. That will deliver 1,000 mcg of Ivomec per 1 cc. Then, you only give (orally) 0.1 cc of the mixed Ivomec per 30 lbs of body weight.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » July 31st, 2006, 2:47 pm

Thanks a lot! :)
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health