Licking

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » March 3rd, 2006, 11:34 pm

rufus tonight has been licking the inside of his thigh, to the point that it started out a reddish looking rashand has been licking and is now the size of a softball. the area is all red, and he wont stop licking.. i called the vet but they are booked, but i got a new guy on the phone so i will call again in the morning when they first open to try to get him in first thing... if you click on the picture it will make it really big so you can see the redness...

what the hell is this??
[img][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.387dc679ad.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.c057a636d1.jpg[/img][/img]
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 3rd, 2006, 11:50 pm

Ouch!! Looks like an allergy of some kind to me. Munkee will give himself HUGE lick granulomas in a day when he has some allergy thing going on. He gets OCD about them and it takes forever for them to heal. Once the allergy is gone, the healing starts to itch & he goes at it again. :rolleyes2:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 3rd, 2006, 11:54 pm

what the heck could it be from?? we have 4 inches of snow on the ground, i wash his blankets in just water. he has never had this before.. they ate supper before, is it possible its the timberwolf??????
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 3rd, 2006, 11:57 pm

Have you changed any of your cleaning supplies? Laundry soap perhaps? Sometimes just them rubbing up against YOUR clothes that have been washed in a new detergent can affect them. Could he be bored? I swear Munkee does it sometimes just for the hell of it.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 11:58 pm

It could start as anything - even a small scratch that gets irritated and once they start licking it just gets more irritated and gets worse and worse.

Does he have any known allergies?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 4th, 2006, 12:04 am

I'd give him a benadryl tonight, if nothing else it will knock him out & he won't irritate it anymore than it already is.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sue » March 4th, 2006, 12:10 am

Rory gets that all over her belly from licking... it can get pretty nasty. She does it because she is very anxious in her crate. Has your routine changed at all? Anything happen that made him "upset"?
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Miakoda » March 4th, 2006, 12:55 am

Give him some benadryl now & then again first thing in the morning. It could be anything from an insect bite or a small scratch that started him licking which furthered irritated it.

You might also want to spray some spray deodarant on it to deter him from licking further. Good luck!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 4th, 2006, 8:42 am

Ouch poor guy! Looks almost like a skin infection already. I hope the benedryl helps
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 4th, 2006, 9:09 am

nothing in the house has changed except addie is not here anymore, she is in a new foster home because i am running back and forth to my parents to help them out, so maybe that is it.. it is much better this morning.. there were no scratches there that i can see. i havent done laundry yet either.. he has no allergies that i know of.. it might be he can sense the stress i am under w/ my dad after his surgery???
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health