Petie's skin's dry what can I do

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby annieinpa » February 25th, 2006, 3:48 pm

My Petie's skin is dry and my poor boy keeps scratching. Is there anything I can give him,or put on him?
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 25th, 2006, 4:25 pm

You can try adding a little oil to his diet, fish oil is especially good for them because it contains Omega 3
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Fish or Salmon oil is really great for them and helps a dry coat. The food can make a difference, too. What are you feeding them now?

If you don't have fish oil, olive oil is ok, too. Don't use corn oil since many dogs are allergic to corn.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby annieinpa » February 25th, 2006, 10:21 pm

[quote]What are you feeding them now?

I'm giving them Purina. I have olive oil, do I just add that to his food and mix it good?

I want to get better food.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 25th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Yeah, about a tablespoon pre day should help. If money is a factor in why you feed Purina you may want to check into Maxximum Nutrition from Walmart. The price is good & it is 1000% better food than Purina........by far it is NOT the best food there is but for the price it is not too bad. It does contain corn but not nearly the amount that Purina does.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 25th, 2006, 11:35 pm

many dogs have isues with dry skin in the winter partly because of the heater being on and the cold air outside.

I agree with the Omega fatty acids being added and definately a food change if you can as well. That will most likely help a great deal with the issue

Also make sure you aren't bathing too often
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby turtle » February 26th, 2006, 12:51 am

Premium Edge is a decent food with no corn that is pretty reasonably priced. Try a feed store or farm supply to find it. And one more advantage to a better quality food is that they eat & poop less!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby annieinpa » February 26th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Can you guys give me some suggestions as to the best dog food. hubby will be getting full time in april/may and i'll be able to get them the best food.

I haven't bathe the dogs yet. (they are do for one though).

I'll have to check that brand out.

Thanks you guys :)
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 26th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Check out this link Annie! They range in price from outrageous to affordable but there will be something that you can fit into your budget that is better than Purina by a long shot.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=161

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » February 26th, 2006, 4:13 pm

We had alot of problems with Birdie's skin when we got her. It was dry flaky, she had pustules (staff infection secondary to an allergic reaction).

I spent a lot of money on vet care, antibiotics, creams, dog soap, vitamins etc.etc.

Then I did some research and one of the gentleman by the name of Texasbulldogs on Game-Dog.com spent a lot of time answering my questions and educating me.

We feed her Timberwolf Organics with boiled egg, unseasoned meat scraps or raw vegetables dumped in once in awhile. And talk about improvement. No more rashes, dry skin, itching, chewing etc. Her coat beautiful and her skin is healthy.

The Lamb, Barley & apples gave our dogs gas bad enough to jet propel them though & the Southwest Chicken has blue corn - so I would avoid those two.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby annieinpa » February 28th, 2006, 8:53 pm

We use to put one raw egg in each of their bowls. I'll have to start doing that again too.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health