15 AIG Execs Agree to Return Bonuses

Postby Marinepits » March 23rd, 2009, 9:22 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03 ... n-bonuses/

N.Y. Attorney General: 15 AIG Execs Agree to Return Bonuses
The commitments amount to more than $30 million of the $165 million in bonuses awarded earlier this month by the troubled insurer.

NEW YORK -- New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said Monday that 15 employees who received some of the largest bonuses from American International Group Inc. have agreed to return the money in full.

The commitments amount to more than $30 million of the $165 million in bonuses awarded earlier this month by the troubled insurer.

Cuomo said he still hopes that more AIG employees will return their bonuses. He expects his office will be able to recoup about $80 million of the money the insurer paid out -- roughly the amount of bonuses paid to American employees.

AIG Chief Executive Edward Liddy told Congress last week that some of the employees were willing to give the money back. AIG has come under heavy criticism because the bonuses were given to employees after the company received $170 billion in government bailout money. Cuomo had sought the names of the employees who received bonuses from Liddy through a subpoena.

"I applaud the employees who are returning the bonuses," Cuomo said during a conference call with reporters. "I think they are being responsive to the American people."

Cuomo said 9 of the 10 people receiving the largest awards have agreed to return their bonus. Additionally, 15 of the top 20 bonus recipients have consented to returning their money. Cuomo said some have refused to return the money, while others are still considering it.

"We are deeply gratified that a vast majority of Financial Products' senior leadership have expressed a willingness to forsake their recent retention payments," wrote spokeswoman Christina Pretto in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press. She added that the company is continuing to review the responses of the other employees.

Cuomo said he doesn't plan to release the names of the employees who have agreed to return the bonuses, and said there is no implied threat that if an employee doesn't consent to returning the bonus that their name will be released.

He said his office is continuing to assess the security of the employees.

About 400 employees and future employees in AIG's financial products division received bonuses. Documents provided by AIG to the Treasury Department said the awards ranged from $1,000 to nearly $6.5 million. Seven employees were to receive more than $3 million. Last week Cuomo said AIG paid bonuses of $1 million or more to 73 employees, including 11 who no longer work there.

Separately, Connecticut's consumer protection division has subpoenaed AIG, demanding that the contracts and names of employees who received the bonuses be provided by March 27. Gov. M. Jodi Rell has said she wants the division to determine whether the bonuses can be voided under the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act.

AIG's financial products division is headquartered in Wilton, Connecticut.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal says his office also demanded the bonus recipients' names and the amounts.

Last week, the House passed a plan to slap a punitive, 90 percent tax on bonuses paid to AIG employees whose family income surpasses $250,000. Not all of the AIG employees earned more than the income threshold specified by the House bill.

But President Obama has signaled opposition to the House's tax bill on constitutional grounds.
The Senate is soon expected to take up its own plan on the tax.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby DemoDick » March 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Wait a minute...AIG gets $170 billion in welfare, that's billion with a "B", and Cuomo's the hero because he got back $30 million in bonuses that the company would have been able to pay itself had it turned a profit and not needed a bailout?

The sad thing is plenty of people are fooled by this smoke and mirrors crap. Who needs a free market, after all?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby LMM » March 23rd, 2009, 9:46 pm

I'm sorry, do they want a pat on the back? Color me not impressed.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jenn » March 23rd, 2009, 11:00 pm

Agreed!! :bs:
Last week Cuomo said AIG paid bonuses of $1 million or more to 73 employees, including 11 who no longer work there.

wtf, I hope they were workers that were laid off, or something qualifying a non employee to get a bonus? :confused:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby hugapitbull » March 23rd, 2009, 11:06 pm

The very thought of any company (institution) paying bonuses to executives who are managing during a period when that company is losing money, even if bail outs are not involved, simply makes me ill.

I've watched it happen with our company, the working class gets minimal or no pay increase and the executives reap bonuses. The same ones who just about put us down the tubes. :bs:

What AIG has done is simply obscene. What ever happened to integrity?
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2009, 1:26 pm

No, what ever happened to capitalism?

I firmly believe in the government protecting the consumer in relation to pollution and monopolies, but outside of that, if the company goes under then the company goes under. :|

UAW just put a company out of business in our area. They wouldn't agree to a pay cut, so the plant closed and everyone is out of work. Uh... DUH. Is it better to make less or be unemployed? It's not like manufacturing jobs are common anymore.

I think Brazil has their head on straight about manufacturing, if a product is not made in Brazil then it has a HUGE tax on it. things you buy in Brazil are made in Brazil, companies don't ship jobs to other countries or the products are so expensive that no one will buy them so any savings disappear. I agree with that actually, it's the government protecting the people and the country and their economy.

All these bailouts are a joke. Can't afford the McMansion you bought? Here's a handout so you don't get forclosed on. Where is my handout for buying a house that I can afford and paying my bills every month?

Multi-billion dollar company going under? Here's your handout. Small business going under? Tough crap, we don't care.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to All the news that's fit to print