The Movie Thread

Grab some popcorn and watch a few flicks!

Postby DemoDick » June 10th, 2007, 9:58 pm

I don't watch TV, I watch about one movie a day. I can watch the same movie three times in a row if I like it. Some movies I've seen a few dozen times.

So far the only one that I haven't really like was "2001: a space oddysey". I couldn't make sense of it. If anyone has the meaning behind that movie please clue me in.

Just watched it again last weekend from the same Blockbuster plan you have. It's one of my favorites. All of Kubrick's movies are open to interpretation, but this is one that he refused to explain, preferring to let viewers come up with their own ideas. But here is my take which is pretty consistent with general consensus.

*Spoiler Alert*

The movie is divided into three movements. In the first, "The Dawn of Man", the focus is on prehuman apes. A tribe of them encounters the smooth, black monolith and are drawn to it. When one ape touches it he learns to pick up a bone and use it as a tool. The apes learn to use the bones to kill and eat other animals. After eating meat, presumably for the first time, one ape uses a bone to kill another ape from a rival tribe. This is the beginning of human development as after touching the monolith the apes learn to use tools to influence the world around them.

The second movement occurs millions of years later and focuses on a space mission in which a second monolith has been uncovered, intentionally buried on the moon. This has been kept completely secret. Dr. Heywood Floyd approaches and touches the monolith just like the apes in the opening movement. The monolith emits some type of horrible high pitched noise and all of the astronauts are in visible pain.

The movie then cuts into the third movement which takes place 18 months later on board the Discovery One near Jupiter on another secret mission which is not known to the crew. The onboard computer, HAL, malfunctions and tries to kill the crew. When David Bowman manages to shut HAL down, a recorded message from Dr. Floyd (of the second movement) plays explaining the finding of the second monolith and the nature of the Discovery's mission. He says that the monolith sent a radio signal to Jupiter (which was the shrieking noise) and the Discovery was sent to explore it. The Discovery one docks with the third monolith which is in orbit around the planet. The planet aligns with its moons and the monolith and Bowman is transported across the universe to a Victorian style room in which he watches himself age and die as a fourth monolith appears. As he reaches to it he is tranformed into a fetus (called the Starchild) and the movie ends.

I think the monolith represents a higher form of intelligence that guides and inspires human development and evolution. It pushes apes forward into humans. When humans have aquired the means to find it again (buried on the moon) it triggers deeper exploration into space. The human that finds it again by exploring even further is reborn as the Starchild, which sybolizes the next step in evolution, whatever that may be. It really helps to watch it a few times to get deeper into it.

Hope that helps.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Romanwild » June 11th, 2007, 8:13 am

That makes more sense of it to me now. Thanks.

It's still pretty slow. It's visually beautiful but slow.

I love a lot of his other movies. Especially "A ClockWork Orange" and "Vannila Sky".
Romanwild
I live here

Postby randi81 » June 11th, 2007, 9:44 am

On June 10 2007, 7:45 PM, Romanwild wrote:Tarrantino is a big fan and after watching some of his stuff I can see the influence as well. T put him in Kill Bill. I think he was the guy who makes the swords.

Next movie I watch will probably be Apocolyptico.

I LOVE Sonny Chiba! And yeah, he was Hittori Hanzo in Kill Bill. That movie (and part 2) are close to the top of my all time favorite movie list. :D I adore Quentin Tarantino... althought I didn't quite like Hostel. Guess that's because he only produced it or whatever... it's not *his* movie.

ETA -- I have had Apocolypto on reserve since the DAY it came out. I call the Movie Gallery EVERY day, and EVERY DAY, the people still haven't brought them back on time. Guess that means it's pretty good!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Asta » June 11th, 2007, 10:15 am

That makes more sense of it to me now. Thanks.

It's still pretty slow. It's visually beautiful but slow.

I love a lot of his other movies. Especially "A ClockWork Orange" and "Vannila Sky".

Oh A Clockwork Orange is fabulous!!! Although i must say that i just never felt Vanilla sky :/

And i love most of Tarantino´s movies aswell :D

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 12th, 2007, 11:21 am

I just rented Marie Antoinette and I loved it so much that I actually purchased it! I'm usually not a huge fan of Kirsten Dunst but I will say she was good in this movie and while there wasn't really a storyline, just a brief account of her life, it is a BEAUTIFUL movie. I just love watching it.

I also just watched Happy Feet- adorable
I also love The Devil Wears Prada
Right now I'm watching You, Me, and Dupree, it is pretty funny
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 12th, 2007, 11:54 am

I watched March of the Penguins last night. I highly recommend it. I really like Morgan Freeman (he narrates it). The story of their breeding / chick rearing is fascinating. When we get our LCD TV (next month! Yay!) I'm going to get it again, the landscape is amazing and Penguins are such pretty animals.

We also watched V for Vendetta last weekend, and I'm planning to buy it. It was a little disturbing, and it has some social commentary without being "in your face" about it.

I have Marie Antoinette on the Blockbuster list

I haven't seen Pirates 3 or Spiderman yet, but am planning to see them in the theater. We'll be seeing Transformers as well.

Dangerous Liaisons is one of my all time favorite movies.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2007, 11:56 am

If you like March of the Penguins you will LOVE FARCE of the Penguins. Funny as hell!

I saw Lords of War the other day, that was pretty good but I totally missed the ending & have to try to catch it again.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Asta » June 12th, 2007, 11:59 am

Marie Antoinette just made me annoyed when seeing it in the movies last year. Fine, the scenery is gorgeous, sort of cool music but the lack of story and acting (i am not a Dunst fan either) just made me slightly itchy :x

V for vendetta is a really cool movie, it had me crying at the end :( I agree about the comments regarding our society, but hey, theyre sort of right!

March of the Penguins is a beautiful documentary! And Happy Feet is funny :)

I saw a trailer for Transformers, it looked pretty darn violent :shock: Not really what i expected!

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby DemoDick » June 12th, 2007, 9:58 pm

V for vendetta is a really cool movie, it had me crying at the end I agree about the comments regarding our society, but hey, theyre sort of right!

I liked the movie despite its simple-minded social commentary. The biggest problem I have with it is that it actually treats terrorism as a legitimate form of bringing about social change. Of course, no civilians are killed, as that would undermine any audience sympathy for V. It's all neat and clean and only the bad guys get killed. The other problem I have is that it equates conservatism with fascism, using pseudo-Nazi imagery with about as much subtlety as a sledge hammer. Hitler was actually a leftist (and an elected one at that), but that is pretty much lost among the "NeoCon=Nazi" crowd. I liked the story and visual style though. Hugo Weaving could read the phone book and make it sound interesting.

I saw a trailer for Transformers, it looked pretty darn violent Not really what i expected!

Yeah, I agree, it looked pretty cool!

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby randi81 » June 13th, 2007, 11:23 am

On June 12 2007, 11:56 AM, cheekymunkee wrote:I saw Lords of War the other day, that was pretty good but I totally missed the ending & have to try to catch it again.

I absolutely adore Nicholas Cage... and 99% of his movies. Lord of War was great!

I finally finished watching the first Pirates of the Carribean yesterday, and much to my surprise, I really liked it! Orlando Bloom is very nice to look at. I'll have to go rent the 2nd one now..... :)
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby mistee06 » June 13th, 2007, 12:38 pm

i just saw Shrek 3 and it was pretty funny.... i thought it'd be a bit more funny but it wasnt... I cant say it was better then the first two but still funny... i will definately buy it when it comes out on dvd to complete my set LOL....

i'm really excited about seeing knocked up and i just saw a preview for licence to wed and it looks pretty funny too...
mistee06
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Asta » June 18th, 2007, 6:40 am

Oh i am glad that you liked Pritaes Randi! Hope youll enjoy the 2nd aswell :)

And Mistee, i saw Shrek the Third in Paris the other day (mainly because Oceans13 hadnt opened yet...). And oh boy what a dissapointment...I had read that it was definately not by far as good as the other 2, but wow. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413267/

Then i watched The Painted Veil on a flight. What a visually stunning movie! Starts off as a rather average lovestory. But after the couple moves to China things take a turn...I adore Edvard Norton, and he is certainly not a dissapointment in this film either. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446755/

After that movie i was feeling a tad unconcentrated and sleepy so i chose Wild Hogs...Yes i know...And i gave it a 3 on Imdb...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486946/

I would like to watch Zodiac on the way back i think. Good thing with business class is that one has a lot of movies to choose from, and at any time you want. The selection this time was rather mediocre though.

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby blover27 » June 18th, 2007, 3:25 pm

i watched goodfellas again yesterday for the first time in a long time...what a great mob movie that is....i forgot there were a couple of sopranos actors in it...

i dont understand why ray liotta never really made it big :?
Last edited by blover27 on June 18th, 2007, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I'm neutral, BUT -- Not Afraid of any of them.''

http://www.pitsandpets.com
blover27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 18th, 2007, 3:31 pm

On June 18 2007, 5:40 AM, Asta wrote:Oh i am glad that you liked Pritaes Randi!
Ã…sa

:wine:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby randi81 » June 18th, 2007, 7:35 pm

On June 18 2007, 3:31 PM, pitbullmamaliz wrote:
On June 18 2007, 5:40 AM, Asta wrote:Oh i am glad that you liked Pritaes Randi!
Ã…sa

:wine:

LMAO
-Randi.

randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Asta » June 18th, 2007, 10:31 pm

Well Randi & Liz, i am in Hong Kong after all, so i am allowed to write in an exotic way :neener:

And yeah, Goodfellas is an awesome movie!!! Maybe he never made it big because he looks so incredibly unsympathetic all the time? And not in the good/cool way :|

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » June 18th, 2007, 11:01 pm

I :loveU: Ray Liotta
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » June 19th, 2007, 5:09 pm

He reminded me SO much of my ex in the movie "Hogs". :shock:

The Waitress was HORRENDOUS. Knocked Up was surprisingly funny!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 21st, 2007, 10:11 pm

I finally had the chance to watch Layer Cake. It ROCKS!

trailer: http://www.sonyclassics.com/layercake/index_flash.html
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby luvmypitties » June 21st, 2007, 10:36 pm

I watched Happy Feet the other night. it was a good movie but I am not too much into musical type movies.

I also rented the Sentinel. Awesome movie. About a CIA agent who turns on the president and plots to have him assasinated. Good movie. Lots of twists. Boyfriend loved every minute of it. Said I did a good job picking that one out!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Madness