Owning a Pit Bull and family comments

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmyangels » January 12th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I can recommend a great trainer on Long Island. His name is Jesse Effman. He is a NY State Certified dog trainer.

I adopted Birdie from him. He pulled her from the Oyster Bay Animal Shelter, fostered her and trained her for four months until we found him.

Birdie is working on becoming a service dog now.

BTW - if you adopted your dog from a shelter on LI, make sure he has ALL of his distemper shots. We found out that Birdie didn't have the second shot and wasn't protected against distemper.

My Vet called the shelter and gave them hell, but they told him they only give the first shot, not the second. Which leaves the dog unprotected.[/quote]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I do have a trainer I have been using for years. If something should change I will definitely get further information. Thank you.

All my dogs were pulled from the NYC shelters. In fact, they gave Knuckles his first shots way too young and that is why both the vet and I feel he was so sick when he was a baby. He has had all his boosters since the first shots. But thank you for making me aware. I am sorry to hear what you went through.

Good luck with Birdie!![/quote]
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby JainDaugh » January 12th, 2006, 2:17 pm

When my parents had their dog Smudge, he so impressed their friends that this one family WITH 8 KIDS go a staffy! Their Zoey became the love of that clan totally living up to the 'nanny' title from merry old england. Now if any dog had a good reason to turn on kids, that dog did :lol: but none of the kids were ever in any danger from her. And this family lived in San Francisco where houses are wall to wall and walking one's dog meant being on sidewalks with dang few lawns to 'mark' or leave presents on either.
JainDaugh

Postby bullymommy » January 29th, 2006, 3:21 am

mnp13 wrote:This pretty much ended the 'Ruby is Evil' routine with my family, and anyone else who knows my family.

And yes, she ended up that way all by herself. She is sleeping with Clara, my neice who was born 4 days bfore Ruby was.

Trade clara for my spencer and ruby for my chub chub and we would have the exact same picture!!! they are totally unseperable! God forbid if something ever happens to either one, the other would be devistated!! I am getting a "My grandson is a pit bull" with chubbers picture on it for my mom and dad.

the one ones who had issues with chub were my aunt and grandmother but they were smart enough to tell me that they didnt know enough to pass judgement and that they trusted that i wouldnt bring a dog into my home if i feared anything would happen to spencer or myself!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Emi » January 29th, 2006, 5:12 am

We had Dottie 5 months when Earl's parents came to visit , my father inlaw asked "Why did you get such a big dog" . It's like she's not that big ... lol

I believe it's more media hype that people hear, and are scared cause of it . Yes there are dog bites , but we all know as responsible dog owners , that it's usually cause of a number of things thta this happens ... unaltered dogs, mistreaded dogs, you know what i'm talking about ...

We went to the East this summer, and got to meet all his family , had a picnic at his Aunt's house, where Dottie met all his Aunt's, Uncles, Cousins, and his Grandmother who is 90 some years old, Dottie made a great impression they all loved her ...

We also went to the inlaws home up in the moutains up toward Towanda/Monroeton area , oh my gosh is so beautiful up there , so peaceful there, Dottie had a blast there running all over the place, she also helped George do his work while we were there, she followed him all over the place :D

The last day we were there , Dottie was out on the deck with George , and when I went out side lol he was singing to her ... to funny.

And I also got a item from the one store a year ago , well actually two and I love them we use it to take Dottie's stuff over to Scott's when we go , and the second for like food items when we go .. love it ... :thumbsup:

As far as friends go , we went to Nebraska this last Oct. to visit my good friend Jennifer and her family , this is another time that I let Dottie speak for herself , and they loved her , and she had a great time ...

I guess people have to see and judge for themself what the dog is like :purpleBanana:

Picture of Dottie & Inlaws ...

Picture of Dottie's tote that BullyVw made me last year 8) He used a picture of Dottie great job ..

Emi
Full of Bully

Postby pLaurent » January 29th, 2006, 11:00 am

I believe it's more media hype that people hear, and are scared cause of it

Definitely. Before I met my first pit bull, 4 years ago, I was scared too and directly because of the media.

A pit bull scratches someone in an enthusiastic greeting and the "attack" is blaring from all media sources. A husky gives a kid 114 stitches in his face, and it's not even on the front page.

My brother was very skeptical of Chloe, muttering things like, "Those dogs that rip babies' faces off..." but now gets down on the floor to give her lovin's.:)
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 29th, 2006, 11:14 am

My parents are fantastic and frankly don't care about dog breeds and the stigma they carry. My aunt and uncle drive me NUTS, though, because they won't come visit because I have a foster pit. She may be crazy, but she's as sweet as anything, and their shepherd would have the best time playing with her. But no, pit bulls are vicious, they're not coming. Annoying.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Judy » January 29th, 2006, 11:29 am

With most people, it seems to be fear of the unknown. Several of my friends and family had never even met a pit bull before - so when I got Buster they were a little freaked - but once they met him they were pleasantly suprised.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 29th, 2006, 2:08 pm

bullymommy wrote:I am getting a "My grandson is a pit bull" with chubbers picture on it for my mom and dad.

I have those in my CafePress shop 8)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bullymommy » January 30th, 2006, 3:49 am

mnp13 wrote:
bullymommy wrote:I am getting a "My grandson is a pit bull" with chubbers picture on it for my mom and dad.

I have those in my CafePress shop 8)

Yep i know youre the one im ordering it from!!! i just have to find the perfect picture of chub first!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 30th, 2006, 8:27 am

I had that problem with family members and friends in the beginning, but they know better now after being around them.

LOL> No one is welcome in my home that doesn't love my dogs. After all it is their house too

Of course as for the general public we still occassionally meet morons who are set in believing that they are mean, but for the most part people change their minds quickly after spending time with them. It is actually pretty funny to be in a hospital doing a therapy visit and have someone make a rude comment or ask if they bite. Sometimes it is really hard to bite my tongue and explain and be nice, but I do it for the sake of the breed.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk