Canine Vehicle Restraints???

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmyangels » January 27th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Hi! When you travel with your best friend in your car do you use a canine vehicle restraint, crate or something else? If you use a canine vehicle restraint which one do you use? If you use something else, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your input. :D
Last edited by luvmyangels on January 27th, 2006, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 27th, 2006, 10:55 pm

I don't use anything right now. :oops:

I like the vehicle restraints. They make sense.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » January 27th, 2006, 11:11 pm

It's a law now in PA. We use seatbelts or crates.
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 27th, 2006, 11:18 pm

i have a seat belt harness for rufus i got at jb pet.. i always have a crate in the car.. rufus rides unharnessed :oops: he used to ride w/ his harness on, but he would turn around to lay down and get the stupid strap that hooks into the seat belt wrapped around his leg... so i stopped using it.. i really should use it again...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Red » January 28th, 2006, 1:29 am

Romanwild wrote:I don't use anything right now.

You need a spankin!! :moon: :P

I use a Ruff Rider harness or a padded harness with locking clip and secured crates if more than one dog is in the SUV.
Here is what it looks like:

If you want to use a regular harness Petsmart have a locking clip that will secure the dog, kinda like an adapter that goes into the seat belt lock.Or you can find them on line.Mine looks like this and works fine I think:

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/222
Red
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 10:56 am

Red wrote:
I use a Ruff Rider harness or a padded harness with locking clip and secured crates if more than one dog is in the SUV.
Here is what it looks like:

If you want to use a regular harness Petsmart have a locking clip that will secure the dog, kinda like an adapter that goes into the seat belt lock.Or you can find them on line.Mine looks like this and works fine I think:

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/222

That is a great pic!!!

I had actually found the harness you put a link to at Petedge for a really good deal.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product ... uctID=3063

I do like the harness you have with the padding though. Where did you get that one??[/quote]
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2006, 12:03 pm

I don't, and I should, considering the damage that was done to Cleo in the accident that we were in.

I bought one for Ruby and then got lazy about it.

I don't know why - I would never ever let my neices ride in my car loose, why do I let Ruby?

It's pretty dumb actually.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 12:18 pm

mnp13 wrote:I don't, and I should, considering the damage that was done to Cleo in the accident that we were in.

I don't know why - I would never ever let my neices ride in my car loose, why do I let Ruby?

Well...I do not have a harness yet for any of my dogs but Knuckles makes me nervous in the car. He will try and jump in my lap when I am driving. He is not a 3 lb puppy anymore. Yes Yes I created the problem myself when I allowed him to do that when he was 3 lbs but I did not like leaving him in the crate to cry. But now I want to do the right thing while my pups are still young so they get used to it.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby girlie » January 28th, 2006, 1:04 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I had actually found the harness you put a link to at Petedge for a really good deal.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product ... uctID=3063

It looked like a good to me aswell, until I went to purchase it and realized that they have a processing fee of almost $15, making it much more.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 1:16 pm

It looked like a good to me aswell, until I went to purchase it and realized that they have a processing fee of almost $15, making it much more.[/color]

Wow really?? Ok I called them and found out there is a $6.99 processing fee on any order under $60.00 + shipping. Sorry.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby girlie » January 28th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Yeah it says that there is a $6.99 fee, but when you go to check out it is actually $14.95, then the cost of shipping, which I think was almost $7......for a $6 item it ended up being $25.......so that deal seemed nice, but oh well................good effort though
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby JCleve86 » January 28th, 2006, 1:23 pm

I bought harnesses for my dogs a while back, especially for Bosco because he doesn't like riding in the car, gets nervous, and wiggles around a lot. I thought it would restrain him and help calm him down. Instead, he ended up getting tangled in his harness several times and freaked out every time while I was trying to drive.

So, now they just ride loose in the backseat. I haven't seen a good harness for wiggle hounds yet. They are to big to both fit in crates in le Honda too, so we just take corners real slow and pray for no accidents.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 4:48 pm

Does anyone know of a harness that would not have as much give from the seat belt so they don't get tangled?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » January 28th, 2006, 10:33 pm

There is a contraption you can buy that clips directly into the seatbelt clip, so they don't have to be attached to the actual belt at all. I've never used it so I don't know that it'll work, but logically it seems like it might?
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby turtle » January 28th, 2006, 10:38 pm

For long trips I use a Vari Kennel crate and she just goes to sleep. Plus she used to get car sick and having her in a plastic crate made it a lot easier to clean up.

But if I'm not driving all day, I have a couple of car seat belt harnesses that I like. The one I use the most for short trips around town is the Four Paws one, it's not expensive and it works really well. Here's a link for it at Dressler's Dog Supply, it's the 6th item down:

http://www.dresslersdog.com/travel.html

The Four Paws Harness I have is padded and it's medium size, it's $13.90 for the med or the large one. Dresslers also has nice Valhoma 1 3/4" wide 2 ply nylon collars for only $7.25 and they come in some nice colors. I did not check to see if they have a high handling fee or high shipping but their prices are pretty fair.

I also have the Ruff Rider Roadie Harness like Red's Ice is wearing. I bought it new but have not used it yet, it came with a video tape on how to use it and I've not watched that yet. It's a really nice well made harness but it's pricey, I think it was about $65. (I got mine on ebay for cheap, $20 something)

(That's a great pic, Red! Ice looks like she is ready to roll!)
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » January 28th, 2006, 10:40 pm

luvmyangels wrote:Does anyone know of a harness that would not have as much give from the seat belt so they don't get tangled?

The Four Paws one has a loop on the back of the harness which is what you put the car seat belt thru. Maybe that would keep the seat belt tighter?
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » January 28th, 2006, 10:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:I don't, and I should, considering the damage that was done to Cleo in the accident that we were in.

Shame on you & Charles!

I used to not bother with the car harness for short trips until my fool dog broke the line to the oil gauge on my old truck because she was not restrained. That cost me a 2 mile walk home at night, a tow truck and 2nd degree burns on my hand from the hot oil! Now she wears a harness...
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » January 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm

gf turtle wrote:For long trips I use a Vari Kennel crate and she just goes to sleep. Plus she used to get car sick and having her in a plastic crate made it a lot easier to clean up.

But if I'm not driving all day, I have a couple of car seat belt harnesses that I like. The one I use the most for short trips around town is the Four Paws one, it's not expensive and it works really well. Here's a link for it at Dressler's Dog Supply, it's the 6th item down:

http://www.dresslersdog.com/travel.html

The Four Paws Harness I have is padded and it's medium size, it's $13.90 for the med or the large one. Dresslers also has nice Valhoma 1 3/4" wide 2 ply nylon collars for only $7.25 and they come in some nice colors. I did not check to see if they have a high handling fee or high shipping but their prices are pretty fair.

I also have the Ruff Rider Roadie Harness like Red's Ice is wearing. I bought it new but have not used it yet, it came with a video tape on how to use it and I've not watched that yet. It's a really nice well made harness but it's pricey, I think it was about $65. (I got mine on ebay for cheap, $20 something)

(That's a great pic, Red! Ice looks like she is ready to roll!)

Great information. Thank you for sharing.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Return to Pit Bull Talk