Animal Planet Expo

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby lellis34 » August 25th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Hey All -

Animal Planet is doing an expo this weekend in Germantown, MD. It's Saturday & Sunday from 10-4 and says it'll be "fun for the whole family". You can check it out at http://animal.discovery.com/features/expo/what.html

Looks like it would be fun for the kids and maybe well behaved little pooches too.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 5:11 pm

lellis34 wrote:Hey All -

Animal Planet is doing an expo this weekend in Germantown, MD. It's Saturday & Sunday from 10-4 and says it'll be "fun for the whole family". You can check it out at http://animal.discovery.com/features/expo/what.html

Looks like it would be fun for the kids and maybe well behaved little pooches too.

AGAIN! This is not a place for a Pit Bull to be!

Take "Fluffy" or whatever, but don't take a Pit Bull.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Why not? As long as the dog is on leash & has not shown any aggressive behaviour.........why not? Her dog is just a puppy so I see no harm in it. Now, I couldn't take MY dogs because of their DA but if they were not....I would probably take them to something like this as long as they & every other dog there were onleash. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 5:50 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Why not? As long as the dog is on leash & has not shown any aggressive behaviour.........why not? Her dog is just a puppy so I see no harm in it. Now, I couldn't take MY dogs because of their DA but if they were not....I would probably take them to something like this as long as they & every other dog there were onleash. :|

Because more than likely every stupid owner who watches Animal Planet will be showing up with their "He's so cut-------Oh crap, he just bit me!" dogs. Fine, a pit might not be dog aggressive, but what happens if another dog bites it, and then it retaliates? You know who'll be blamed.

Weda was never DA, until we moved and she ended up having 2 golden bit*hes next door, and a couple incidents on the street.

I'm still not convinced she's DA, but she is definitely on much more alert and reactive to how dogs behave with her. However, even knowing all of this about her, and how to handle it, I don't take her into anything like this or where something *could* go wrong.

FYI, I'm not saying you are stupid if you watch Animal Planet, what I'm saying is that the majority of the ones that show up are going to be stupid.

And one more thing, DEBORAH!, why are you following me around the forum today? Huh? Don't trust me? *Insert shaking fist emoticon*

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby lellis34 » August 25th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Geesh, I just know how to stir the pot don't I? :greenWave: Sorry guys! Take the kids and have a good time.

And Ant, went to the dog park again last night. :o This time I was the one with the crazy dog (our pom) who had to leave the park. Took him by himself so he wouldn't be so protective of King (he's like that). I couldn't even get him in the gate he's so psycho - barking, growling, carrying on, etc. :| Did go back with King and his puppy pals from next door for a few minutes. Crazy GSD showed up again and most everyone cleared out. It was like a giant fart in an elevator. :D
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 6:17 pm

lellis34 wrote:Geesh, I just know how to stir the pot don't I? :greenWave: Sorry guys! Take the kids and have a good time.

And Ant, went to the dog park again last night. :o This time I was the one with the crazy dog (our pom) who had to leave the park. Took him by himself so he wouldn't be so protective of King (he's like that). I couldn't even get him in the gate he's so psycho - barking, growling, carrying on, etc. :| Did go back with King and his puppy pals from next door for a few minutes. Crazy GSD showed up again and most everyone cleared out. It was like a giant fart in an elevator. :D

Keep thinking it's a joke!

But don't expect an OUNCE of sympathy from me when something happens!

I'm glad you think it's fun to own the crazy dog as well. Sometimes I wonder why they make people take a test for a Driver's License instead of dog ownership. I'd much rather have you driving unlicensed than owning a dog.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 25th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Big_Ant wrote:Keep thinking it's a joke!

But don't expect an OUNCE of sympathy from me when something happens!

Seconded here. There is absolutely nothing amusing about "psycho" dogs at dog parks.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lellis34 » August 25th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Please don't think I/we think it's a joke. But with all the time and money I've spent on trainers and vets for this dog alone - if I don't keep it a little light I think I'd lose my mind (or my husband). As I said, we didn't even get into the park before we left so there was not chance for him to interact with another dog for something to happen. I only even mentioned it because I had posted the other day about a bad dog at the park who didn't leave. And, unlike that person, I recognized it was time to go.

We call Bear psycho dog for so many different reasons. He's very high strung and hyper (two hours of in-house fetch after a 45 minute walk every day is just one example). He's fine some days and not on others. Fine with some dogs, not with others. We've taken him out some places and he's been fine, sometimes not. He seems to be worse when he's around King and is very protective of King which is why he's been getting lots of alone and one-on-one time with us. We wanted to try him out on his own, get a feel for his reaction, see how he did alone at the park. We're working with him a lot and evaluating him in different surroundings and trying various training techniques. All of which is being reported back to the vet and a trainer/consultant. We're working with the vet and after his appt. tomorrow he will be on meds. Which I've been hesitant to do because of some negative side effects I've heard about. If anyone has experience with them - THAT would be helpful.
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 6:58 pm

DO NOT BACK TRACK NOW!

You were being a smarta** about the fact that you took a pit to the park again, after I had replied to your other post that you shouldn't be taking the dog.

All of this money you spend on vets and trainers? Really? They must love getting free money! You have an out of control small dog, and a APBT Mix that has free run of the house, and you had no clue what to do when you are gone? In all of those times that you were spending money with them, did they not mention crates to you?

Seriously, if you are sincere with moving forward and doing best for your dogs, get a real trainer and start taking some of the advice that people are offering you here. If you aren't, don't keep asking questions, and get rid of the APBT Mix before something happens and everyone claims that a "Pit Bull" was the one at fault.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 7:58 pm

And one more thing, DEBORAH!, why are you following me around the forum today? Huh? Don't trust me? *Insert shaking fist emoticon*

Because I don't have any one else to pick on. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull Talk