This lady was mauled by

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Sarahdee » July 19th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Her wolf dogs. I feel terrible that they had to put them to sleep because this lady should have never kept them as pets.
They also mention pit bulls in this article. what do you guys think?

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... 840-59.stm
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » July 19th, 2006, 1:32 pm

That is soooo sad. I know nothing about Wolf Hybrids but a guy I used to know had one, it was 75% wolf I think. Beautiful, beautiful animal & so very sweet. It wasn't very dog like in it's actions & although it was a nice animal it still freaked me out. That is the only one I have ever been around.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » July 19th, 2006, 1:34 pm

wolf dogs should never be kept as pets, they are too unpredictable. and for this organization to be breeding them ? that is even worse. i feel bad for the woman who died, and the dogs who are going to be killed, but i think wolf dogs should be outlawed as pets and as breeding tools.. there is no need to cross a wolf with a dog..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Hoyden » July 19th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Our friend Mike has a wolf hybrid that he almost ran over on a back road and didn't know what kind of dog it was until he found out that the dog had escaped from it's previous owner.

He ended up keeping the dog, but he is very responsible about HOW he keeps him. Jeep lives in a huge enclosure that is 8 feet high and about 3000 sqft with trees in the center.

Jeep is microchipped and tattoo too.

I feel that breeding hybrids should be outlawed though. My aunt in Alaska would argue with me, but I am convinced she's nuts anyway. Anyone who thinks living in a place so cold that you need a snowmobile or a dog team plus food dropped by airplane in the winter is crazy in my book.
Last edited by Hoyden on July 19th, 2006, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby PittieLove » July 19th, 2006, 2:19 pm

the page was missing, but wolf hybrids arent pets and shouldnt be. I dont know why u would want a almost wild dog :|
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby Sarahdee » July 19th, 2006, 2:27 pm

did you guys see the part where they said 118 people were mauled by pitbulls?
that might be true, but no one knows how those animals were treated or raised.

I think just about any animal would attack if they were abused.
They should put an article out that pits are probably the most abused out of all dogs.

do you think that is true?
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby 04100824 » July 19th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Sarahdee wrote:did you guys see the part where they said 118 people were mauled by pitbulls?

They should put an article out that pits are probably the most abused out of all dogs.

I think it's entirely possible, but most weren't true "pit bulls" It even sayd that that umber includes mixes...how many other breeds does it count mixes for? Rottweiler mixes didn't get counted for their numbers! :|

plus, there are a lot of breeds that look like pit bulls... but yes, the number of possible pit-bull-esque deaths or deaths caused by what may or may not be a pit bull is more than likely true.
Confident Young Bully

Postby 04100824 » July 19th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Oh, and on wolf hybrid ownership, I also don't think they should be kept as pets.

One of the guys who works for my apartment complex had half of his face eaten by a wolf hybrid. His uncle used to breed them, apparantly.

...not that that's my reason for thinking that they shouldn't really be kept as pets. I say that because I had looked up information about them at one point that said that while they're like dogs when young, they grow to be more like wolves, and are never truly fully tamed/domesticated. I just feel that most people don't have (or can't offer) what it takes to keep them.
Confident Young Bully

Postby rockermom » July 19th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Number one at 118 deaths was "pit bull types" both purebred and cross-bred; second was Rottweilers with 67 killings, third was mixed breed and fourth was German shepherds. Wolf dog hybrids came in ninth.

Notice it is in quotes pit bull types. What does that exactly mean. Something that looked like a pit bull? It could be acurate then if they mean something that looked like a pit bull. How many purebred then?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby southeasternpits » July 19th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Sarahdee wrote:did you guys see the part where they said 118 people were mauled by pitbulls?

I personally dont think so, but then again, I am known to have been wrong!! I think they are doing what we all do....protecting what they love! They say 118 we 18...ya know? These are off of actual studies too! I didnt pull the numbers out of my head. One form says 16 another 18 another 27 and this one here, 118...who knows. But like I said i think they are doing what we all are trying to do, protect the ones we love, and if thats what they love.....to each his own. We love pit bulls, they hate them!
“Happy is the son whose faith in his mother remains unchallenged.”
southeasternpits
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » July 19th, 2006, 5:00 pm

rockermom wrote:Notice it is in quotes pit bull types. What does that exactly mean. Something that looked like a pit bull? It could be acurate then if they mean something that looked like a pit bull. How many purebred then?

that's exactly it. "Pit Bull Type" covers at least 12 breeds, and all the mixes thereof.

That also includes just about any dog that bites someone - as most people here can attest to knowing at least one news story that called a Lab or Rottweiler a Pit Bull.

the statistics aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and even the CDC admits this.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 19th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was technically illegal to keep a wolf hybrid as a pet
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby chance's mom » July 19th, 2006, 9:28 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was technically illegal to keep a wolf hybrid as a pet

i dont believe so, but i believe it should be. i believe wolf hybrids should be seen as wild animals, not pets.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » July 20th, 2006, 9:32 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was technically illegal to keep a wolf hybrid as a pet

Depends on where you live. Exotic animals are only banned in cities here, you can keep them in the country as long as you provide for them.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » July 20th, 2006, 1:12 pm

My brother's girlfriend has one.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Sarahdee » July 20th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I definitely agree, I don't think anyone should be allowed to have exotic animals as pets.
how about that guy that had a full grown tiger in his small apartment in NY?
who would do that?
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » July 22nd, 2006, 1:19 am

http://www.wolfhaven.org/Think_Again_Main.htm

I think breeding wolf hybrids is cruelty and should be banned. It's exploitation of both dogs and wolves.
We've visited Wolf Haven a number of times. They have a great article (above) on the subject.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby juniper8204 » July 22nd, 2006, 2:21 pm

Maryellen wrote:wolf dogs should never be kept as pets, they are too unpredictable. and for this organization to be breeding them ? that is even worse. i feel bad for the woman who died, and the dogs who are going to be killed, but i think wolf dogs should be outlawed as pets and as breeding tools.. there is no need to cross a wolf with a dog..

Here in NC, hybrids are completely outlawed. The ones that were in the state during the time the law came in to effect are under the grandfather clause, so as long as they don't bite anyone, they can stay, but to breed them or bring them in as a new residence from another state is completely outlawed. I agree that hybrids should be illegal to breed/buy around the country...it's not the same as BSL. Wolves aren't breeds of dogs...they're wild animals. Even though hybrids are part dog, they are, in my opinion, are a potential wild animal...the same reason someone shouldn't own a lion or a tiger...you never know when an instinct is going to overrule the animals' mind at any given moment.
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Asta » July 22nd, 2006, 2:46 pm

Just as curiousa, a friend of mine runs this: https://host148.ipowerweb.com/~nywolfor ... secure.htm
He is a photographer and ran it with his ex, pianist Helen Grimaud.

Cheers,

Ã…sa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Sarahdee » July 26th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Not to be off the subject, but Asta your big doggie looks like my puppy.
I bet mine will look just like that when he is older :)
he's brindle with the white chest and some white on his paws.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk