Socialization

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » July 17th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Just a tought:

I wonder if it's possible to ever over-socialize a dog to the point where it kind of gets bored with everything...

I know this may sound like a dumb question... Ever seen a dog who just dosen't react all that much to "life stimuli" anymore? Though this is kind of hard to define...

And, if that ever happens, I don' tknow if it's a bad thing or not, and I'm speaking of something way over bomb-proof...
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 17th, 2006, 10:31 pm

How old a dog?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby call2arms » July 18th, 2006, 11:35 am

I'm thinking more of a mature dog.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 19th, 2006, 7:58 pm

No, I don't believe a dog can be over socialized though I joke and say mine are all the time.

I think however a bored dog needs to be challenged and you'll need to find something that gets him/her excited and that the dog enjoys

That being said a dog that is nonreactive to stimuli is not necessarily a bad thing either

A lot of this is just part of the dog's overall personality IMO
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Attila Magyar » July 23rd, 2006, 3:38 am

What type of dog are we speaking of? some breeds are naturally alof. And personalies do change. I had a dog that died last year Had him from the day he was born Christmas day 1991. He was 1/4 German Shepherd 1/4 Wolf and half English Mastiff. Very large dog. Any way he was great with kids, women and me. Till the last year. Then it was only me he tollerated. He was not friendly to teen age boys and young men. Also he really hated my ex wife. The boy thing was because of a 16 year old boy kicked him as a pup and he never like one after that day no matter what I tried. My ex wife was like my mom abusive. She yelled allot but never touched my dog. After about the second year I had to keep a second house because of her torment. Any way I worked and worked with him to over come the man aggressiveness. but if the fellow was over 60 or younger than 14 Rocky was cool. Now my Pit bulls love people and I have never had one that stopped loving on every one that let them. My Shar-Pei are the same as the Pit Bulls. Bue Bue is like velcro. As I am typing she has her nose right against my leg she always has to touch me. Velcro. I should have named her velcro. Age does have play in a dogs want to deal with people. They get sore and achy too. Grumpy like me and my old Rocky got. Rocky wasn't a planned puppy nor was his mom who was supposed to be sterol. Anyway short version. Wolf got in with my German shepherd long time ago. She had pups, I kept two one died young hear trouble. and Rocky's mom. Took her to the vet to get fixed he called me and said her organs are not funtional and deformed so he said she can't have pups. OK. Well 12 years later I was fishing with my cousin had her with me and he had his mastiff. There we were fly fishing and he says they are locked up. I laughed and said quite bsing me. sure enough they were locked up. I was like err. hmm. ok . so we get back from Canada and I take her back to my vet. Who says she is pregnant. Great. Now what. she had 12 pups I kept one and got the rest happy homes he lived the longest out of all of them by the way. 11-13 were the rest which was good concidering they were all over 200 pound dogs. Rocky was 239 pounds. No not fat. He passed in his sleep calm and quiet. I will forever miss him. Ya He was fixed and I made sure they were gone my self that time. But for 12 whole years she never let another dog mount her or showed signes of a heat. I quit watching after about 6 or 7 years and figured ole doc was right. Maybe he was and it was a mirical or a fluck. I will never know. I was happy either way. Both were very good dogs. Here is the point of that. He at some point in time became dissinterested in other people actually became aggitated with people didn't want to be petted and would turn away and stand behind me. He didn't let the pups around him any more either. It was a gradual thing but I knew when the end was near. He sat real close to me all night. Then layed down and went to sleep. My boy to the end. some dogs just get to the point of leave me alone I am old.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » July 24th, 2006, 4:51 pm

I was speaking of any breed of dog. Of course different breeds would react differently to "oversocialization".

Attila, just a suggestion, but maybe making paragraphs in you very interesting posts would make them easier to read (I do have a migraine right now and your post... wow).
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Attila Magyar » July 24th, 2006, 5:35 pm

call2arms wrote:I was speaking of any breed of dog. Of course different breeds would react differently to "oversocialization".

Attila, just a suggestion, but maybe making paragraphs in you very interesting posts would make them easier to read (I do have a migraine right now and your post... wow).

Very well then I will try to keep that in mind. English isn't my first language. So Sorry. Grammer and formalities tend to go wayward.
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » July 25th, 2006, 11:27 am

Eh, it's fine, it's just a little advice to make your posts more reader-friendly.

English isn't my first language either, I understand completely.

I think my english actually got better from writing and reading on boards like this one... And I know it's the case for more than one member.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Attila Magyar » July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

call2arms wrote:Eh, it's fine, it's just a little advice to make your posts more reader-friendly.

English isn't my first language either, I understand completely.

I think my english actually got better from writing and reading on boards like this one... And I know it's the case for more than one member.

Call2arms,

Bonjour! Mon Amie.

Merci beaucoup. Je Hongrois.

Regarder,

Wilhiem Bodnár
Viper Kennels Inc.

Meilleur?
I hunt at night
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 25th, 2006, 4:53 pm

oui, sais meux ;)

(I shudder to think about the spelling errors in those three words)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » July 25th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Well, you two probably know more French words than lots of people in the anglophone parts of town!

C'est exquis!

Oh and Michelle, it's not bad at all except your "sais" actually means "know", the right spelling is "c'est", meaning "it is"... But what mixed you up is that the two words are pronounced exactly the same. French people get mixed up with that one anyway...

And meux was just missing an "i".
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » July 25th, 2006, 6:18 pm

lol

I sat there and looked at it for a while. I knew that was wrong, but it sounded right!!!

So much for a year in France!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Attila Magyar » July 25th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Michelle,

You can come with me. We can tour most of Europe And I can get by. Magyar, German, French were my first three. I learned English when I was six. Latin we learned in Catholic school so the latin based languages were easier. So Spanish, Italian, and Romanian were easier. Sub dialects come off of the other languages. English was the hardest to learn untill I reached Manderine Chinese. That one is kicking my butt too. I think she did good going by phonetical sound of the words.

Wilhiem
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby call2arms » July 26th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Mandarin??? You're insane!

Is learning Japanese next? lol
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » July 26th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Attila Magyar wrote:Michelle,

You can come with me. We can tour most of Europe And I can get by. Magyar, German, French were my first three. I learned English when I was six. Latin we learned in Catholic school so the latin based languages were easier. So Spanish, Italian, and Romanian were easier. Sub dialects come off of the other languages. English was the hardest to learn untill I reached Manderine Chinese. That one is kicking my butt too. I think she did good going by phonetical sound of the words.

Wilhiem

Sounds like a plan!!!

I'm hoping to go to Romania next summer actually.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Attila Magyar » July 26th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I am game I speak Romanian.
Attila Magyar
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk