Golden ran at us!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby PittieLove » July 7th, 2006, 11:01 pm

I was walking my friends dog, Harley(the crazy dog) and Ivan in a not so good neighborhood. A Golden came around the cornor and went right for us. The owners tried to call him. Well that dog circled me, Ivan and harley are going crazy. (I had picked Ivan up) They both got out of their collar!!! God only knows how they did that!! Well, ivan went for the dog. And Harley just followed me, as i followed ivan, as ivan followed the golden who know wished he never tried to attack me. Ivan got ahold of the dog, wich was hell..... But the owners were cool, they knew it was their fault for haveing their dog loose. I was shakeing all over.
And so to stop fights like this, i ordered ivan a muzzle. It wil be here by next week. Stupid crazy dog.
Oh and! The scars on his legs are from doing everything and anything to get out of the yard, i was watching him the whole time.
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2006, 11:32 pm

You should know that a muzzle may make his aggression worse, as you are removing his primary defense - which will make him even more defensive.

Instead of a muzzle, I would suggest a lot of OB training and no more walking two dogs at a time.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » July 8th, 2006, 7:19 am

mnp13 wrote:You should know that a muzzle may make his aggression worse, as you are removing his primary defense - which will make him even more defensive.

Instead of a muzzle, I would suggest a lot of OB training and no more walking two dogs at a time.

I completely agree!

Our now 12-year old female was a nutcase when she was younger and it came to other dogs -- the muzzle made her completely impossible to deal with. She'd freak out and try to tear the muzzle off while trying to get the other dog. She reminded me of the Tazmanian Devil in cartoons! With tons of training for both her and us, she's is now managable around other dogs.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » July 8th, 2006, 11:54 am

If you do decide on the muzzle vs. obedience training please go with a plastic basket muzzle as it is the least likely to make a dog tweak. The nylon muzzles that keep a dog's mouth closed cause HIGH HIGH HIGH stress. At least with the plastic basket they can open their mouth to pant and drink.

But frankly I don't think a muzzle is the best route to go. Get your dogs some martingale collars. That way there is less chance of them being able to back out and get loose in a situation like that. I have met very few dogs who can back out of a martingale, but have seen many a dog back out of a flat collar.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ellie@ny » July 8th, 2006, 1:44 pm

I think too that obedience training and better or just tighter? collars would do a great job!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » July 8th, 2006, 1:52 pm

The other problem with a muzzle is that you'll be walking a Pit Bull...wearing a muzzle. Horrible PR: "See! They really CAN'T be trusted!"

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Pit Bull Talk