Does your dog have duck feet?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby a-bull » June 17th, 2006, 5:49 pm

"Different paws for different dogs

Although all dog paws are basically the same, some are shaped slightly differently than others. Many breed standards specify "cat feet," which are the result of short third digital bones. These compact feet require less energy to lift, allowing the dog to conserve energy and increase his endurance in the field. Akita, Doberman Pinscher, Giant Schnauzer, Kuvasz, Newfoundland, Airedale Terrier, Bull Terrier, Keeshond, Finnish Spitz, and Old English Sheepdog are among the breeds with catlike, compact feet.

Hare feet are elongated with the two center toes longer than the side toes. Breeds with hare feet include several of the toy breeds, Samoyed, Bedlington Terrier, Skye Terrier, Borzoi, and Greyhound.

Breeds that work in water tend to have webbed feet. Newfoundland, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Portuguese Water Dog, Field Spaniel, and German Wirehaired Pointer are among the breeds with webbed feet.

Some dogs have lots of hair on their feet and between their toes. Exhibitors usually trim this hair for a neat appearance in the show ring, and pet owners may consider trimming to avoid caking of ice in the hair during the winter months.

The dog's paws and the pasterns work together to absorb the shock of jumping and running and to provide flexibility of movement. However, these body parts are only as good as the dog's total structure, for they bear the burden of poor shoulders and hindquarters as the animal moves. Structural faults such as straight or loose shoulders, straight stifles, loose hips, and lack of balance between the front and rear structure, can all cause gait abnormalities that in turn lead to damage to pasterns and feet.

Purebred dog breeders try to correct poor structure when they breed. Good breeders do not use animals with poor structure in there breeding programs, and they compensate for minor structural faults when choosing a mate for a dog or bitch. Mixed breed dogs are just as susceptible to poor lower limb structure, but there is little chance that such problems can be corrected because mixed breed dogs tend to come from accidental breedings.

Although minor structural problems seldom interfere with enjoyment of a companion dog, understanding the value of tight feet and limber pasterns helps owners understand their pets better. Owners who wish to do some obedience work, hiking, jogging, agility, hunting, or other potentially strenuous activity with their pets should take careful note of limb structure before putting the dog through training."

(from canismajor.com) . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Well most have a small amount of skin between the toes which makes people think their dogs have webbed feet.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » June 17th, 2006, 6:41 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Well most have a small amount of skin between the toes which makes people think their dogs have webbed feet.

yes, I think you're right---sort of like our fingers with that little extra skin at the base that hangs them together, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 17th, 2006, 9:58 pm

a-bull wrote:
houlabulla? wrote:Well most have a small amount of skin between the toes which makes people think their dogs have webbed feet.

yes, I think you're right---sort of like our fingers with that little extra skin at the base that hangs them together, lol . . .

THAT's what I'm talking about! Ya nut! :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » June 17th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Ok so lets call it normal dog webbing and dogs with duck toes. My dog has duck toes. webbing goes all the way to the tip of pads with the 2 middle pads front and back attatched at the bottom. Cant seperate them. Bet he would be a great swimmer if he was not afraid of water.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 17th, 2006, 10:11 pm

:ROFL2: :ROFL2: duck toes!!!! :clap:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 17th, 2006, 10:56 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
a-bull wrote:

THAT's what I'm talking about! Ya nut! :wink:

listen you fruitcake, I don't have webbing on my fingers, lol . . . and not all dogs have webbed feet!! Don't make me mud wrestle you AGAIN!!!
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 18th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I have yet to see a dog without some webbing. I used to groom dogs, so i have seen more than my 5 or 6. I am sure there are some with zero webbing, but unlikely.

I like duck feet vs webbing. Webbing is a variable on how much webbing is there, where duck feet discribes an elongated webbing.

Is there some personal reason you are so adamant that not all dogs have webbing? You seem personally offended by it? Are you like purple and toes, or me and cat wattles?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » June 18th, 2006, 3:17 pm

gawd I hope you're joking . . .

Cheeky & I certainly were---we didn't really mud wrestle.

But seeings how you asked, yes, I have alot of childhood issues surrounding webbed feet . . . but that's another forum . . . the one that Purple is part of.

:devilWink:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 18th, 2006, 4:38 pm

a-bull wrote:Cheeky & I certainly were---we didn't really mud wrestle.

That's not what I heard! :ROFL2:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » June 18th, 2006, 6:55 pm

I sooo kicked her ass. :slap:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » June 18th, 2006, 7:35 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I sooo kicked her fanny. :slap:

Only because my little webbed fingers got tangled in your hair.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 18th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Marinepits wrote:
a-bull wrote:Cheeky & I certainly were---we didn't really mud wrestle.

That's not what I heard! :ROFL2:

. . . and aren't you a Moderator on that forum Purple & I are memebers of??? You and Sue, I heard . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 18th, 2006, 9:36 pm

yep, Satin has webbed feet. But, she is part black lab.

Does anyone else think the front feet look like sporks? (The combination spoon/fork?)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk