OMG s/he will kill any dog in sight.
10%
Yes, but it's controllable.
52%
Nope.
38%

Total votes : 48

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 9th, 2006, 10:38 pm

I was just curious about how many of you have DA dogs, and at what age it kicked in. :?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » June 9th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Katy -- was always very dog aggressive but is controllable around her own "pack" (for lack of a better word) as long as they're submissive

Indy -- male dog aggressive since age 2-ish, difficult to control around males outside his own "pack"

Shorty -- female dog aggressive since we adopted her at age 1 1/2 but is controllable

Mac -- hasn't turned on yet at age 2 1/2
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » June 9th, 2006, 10:46 pm

No, but I have noticed him getting more testy with strange dogs as he gets older. Like walking through petsmart, he'll bark at a dog that gets close to him, whereas before he would move away. I'm not sure if that has to do with having more confidence, or just being less tolerant. He's not a pit bull, but I figured the question applied to all dogs. If not, disregard my vote! :wink:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby girlie » June 9th, 2006, 10:50 pm

My girl is picky. She has a few "friends" but she has also come into contact with other dogs that she immediately wanted to throw down with. She has always been good with my parents dog (collie) but when my sisiter brought her dog over one day it made obvious immediately that htese two should never have contact with eachother. She has shown this extreme dislike a few times at the vets office as well.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby pocketpit » June 10th, 2006, 2:28 am

Most of my dogs are dog aggressive but under control because I will not tolerate ugly public displays of bad behavior towards other dogs. I also am careful constantly be watching them in those sort of situations so that I can remind them of what's expected if they even think twice about starting crap.
They all have varying degrees of DA from my SBT bitch who just is generally a butt to anyone and has been since before she was able to walk, to a male that's only aggressive with other males and a bitch who actually tolerates most others as long as they don't try and take her toys or mount her.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » June 10th, 2006, 3:16 am

Mine are controllable....................on leash. Off leash in the backyard if another dog walks by or if they are inside & see one, they are both like little kids in a candy store. On leash they know to focus on me ( and do fairly well at it, they both could be much better) and ignore the other dog. But, there are so many off leash dogs I don't like to take the chance of one of them running up to them. There are some husky type dogs & a HUGE sheperd looking dog that are often out & about as well as my neighbors escape artist bird dog and various little ones. The smaller dogs I would be able to keep away from them but the bigger ones could pose a challenge.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » June 10th, 2006, 8:20 am

No dog aggression from Wally. I just don't trust him around intact males because he follows them and corrects them for the tiniest little movement. I can just smell a fight a brewin' when he does that . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby bahamutt99 » June 10th, 2006, 8:47 am

Loki is appropriate. She can meet puppies, non-combative adult dogs. She will even laugh off aggro little dogs. She saves any real aggression for situations where there might be some danger. I'm very thankful she's like that.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby GreddyGirl » June 10th, 2006, 9:16 am

Greddy has always been good with all dogs.
Angel has some aggression, but its controllable.

I chose yes, but controllable.
GreddyGirl
Confident Young Bully

Postby rockermom » June 10th, 2006, 10:52 am

No but Rocky does get nervous when dogs first aproach him. He wants to be sure they are not going to hurt him. he was beat up by older pups that he shared kennell with in shelter.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby 04100824 » June 10th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Reno barks and growls at some dogs on leash, but we're working on it, and he's getting much better.

He does have dog friends, and has had no problems playing with them or sharing toys or water, and has even given up food to other dogs or brought his toys to them to share.

He just has to met them properly. :| Him having dog friends seems to have helped him a TON with his behavior on the leash. He really hadn't had much socialization before we got him. The only time he's snapped at another dog was when he was on a leash, and some LITTLE mutt thing ran up to HIM growling and throwing a fit.

He's about a year and a half old, so we're not really in the clear on the whole aggression thing, but I'm hoping he'll be ok.
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » June 10th, 2006, 12:52 pm

I have had no problems but I just tell myself they are DA.

Diamond acts potentially crazy when she's with Dreyfus. She has had a personality conflict with one female but they were both on leash.

In my mind I interpret Dreyfus as telling other dogs "You got a choice....play with me or fight with me, I'm willing to do either but I prefer play."lol

I have trained both to not look or react to other dogs. Thank you Herm Sprenger!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » June 10th, 2006, 1:09 pm

rufus- turned on at 9 months old. he is controllable very well on leash in public, as i dont tolerate idiotness. he is fine with puppies of any sex. adults it has to be female, and properly introduced over a period of time depending on the dog. intact males- forget it.

jesse-extremely dog aggressive. she does not go out in public, and when she does its on a 3 foot leash with a prong and i am on her ass constantly.

sonny- as he has gotten older he refuses to tolerate any adult dog. puppies fine.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 10th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Oh and Munkee was abut 3 when he turned on. Justice really hasn't yet, she barks & carries on at other dogs but she hasn't shown real aggresson towards them. I also didn't check the first option ( wants to kill every dog in site) because he CAN be around Ollie, if not for her I may have. But, then again, ON leash he is controllable ( to a point, if they approach him, it is on) , off he is not.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby GSDBulldog » June 10th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Howie is DA to the extreme. He is tolerable of the dogs living at home (And even a bit protective of Pixie), but very, very aggressive with strange dogs. He can't bark/growl (Was debarked before he adopted him :( ), but he struggles to pull and gets "the look" in his eye. I will never forget the first time he ever really turned on, he went after a GSD foster of mine. Got her really bad. Thus for him, I chose the first choice. I no longer walk him during the day as so many people choose to leave their dogs off-leash. His out-of-control DA is somewhat "funny"- this dog LOVES kittens.

For Pixie, she's DA with strange dogs too, but it's controllable. As I want her to continue on with advanced obediance & eventually earn her CGC & start doing therapy work, I've taught her the "Watch me" & "Leave it" commands, so she has them to a key. Now she simply ignores other dogs.
GSDBulldog
Just Whelped

Postby babyreba » June 10th, 2006, 1:43 pm

reba is just an ornery old mutt and she does not care for other dogs at all. once she even attacked my ex's dog, a dachshund that she had lived peaceably with for more than a year, and she tried to kill him but I got her off him before she could do more than put deep wounds in his neck and head and back. poor dachshund. :(

but usually she is controllable--she will tolerate another dog in her presence and not make a peep unless the other dog invades her space, then she loses it.

for some reason she likes tucker, but i still would never trust her with him totally, i'm always keeping close tabs on them when they are together.

tucker is a baby, he loves everyone unconditionally so far. but he doesn't like being barked at by other dogs and gets a little agitated, so i have a feeling he'll have a lower threshold when he's older.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 10th, 2006, 5:44 pm

My dogs all get along together fine.

Venus has no use for other dogs.

Marz LOVES other dogs although in her younger days she was pushy enough to scare the bejesus out of them. She'd think a fight was good fun.

Nyx used to be VERY reactive when I first got her but all bark, no bite. She pretty well will just ignore other dogs unless they get in her space then she may give them a snark enough to scare the crap out of them. Or at least she used to be like that. She's mellowed out quite a bit in her old age.

Arez loves other dogs and if a fight started she'd be happy as a pig in crap thinking it was FUN!

Tank is fine with females/pups/small males when introduced on his own property in a controlled environment but anything in public is prey. He is not good with other males.

Patches was pretty damn bitchy when I first got her but she's mixed into my pack pretty good but she is actually the one I have to be the most carefull about when introducing new fosters. She'd like to start something. She's not a pit. She's a mutt.

I don't put them in any situation where they would have a chance to act on their DA but all of them could easily become involved in a scrap if the situation was right, I mean wrong. lol Their enviroment is very controlled and I set them up to win so I don't feed the DA that is there.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby satanscheerleader » June 10th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Ooops no edit.
Tank turned on at about 7-8 months.
Marz was getting pretty fiesty around that age as well.
Arez was rarin' to go at four months.
Nyx I didn't get until she was three and she was so messed up in a multitude of ways it was hard to tell what was nature and what was nuture, if you can even call it nurture.
Venus was a pretty late bloomer in comparison. I'd say more like a year and a half.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » June 10th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Not really. She is fine with most dogs, unless a male tries to mount her. She hates that and snaps a little bit. She also doesn't like little mop dogs that bark nasty at her. So we just keep her away from those dogs.
She prefers really goofy, submissive females, little dogs that are playful (a couple pugs and beagle in the neighborhood), and puppies.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jesseca » June 10th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Summer likes most males, unless they are intact. She doesn't like that. Puppies she's good with too. Females are another story. She's not fond of them at all. She won't out try to kill them, but they aren't her favorite, so we just try not to put her in the situation. She won't start a fight, but she will try and finish it. I didn't get her until she was 9, so I'm not sure when it kicked in.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk