Dog Friendly Fabric???

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:02 pm

I'm stalling buying a new sofa set because I don't want it to get trashed by my cats and dogs.

Can anyone recommend sofa fabrics that are good for dogs . . . and maybe even cats?

I'm hearing mixed reviews about microfiber, and I was considering leather, but I'm worried about toe nails.

Ideas??? :| Pictures?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Ruby dug a hole in my regular "apolstry" fabric couch. Her chair has faired much better - it is a plain heavy cotton/canvas material.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:17 pm

mnp13 wrote:Ruby dug a hole in my regular "apolstry" fabric couch. Her chair has faired much better - it is a plain heavy cotton/canvas material.

I was thinking canvas. Does the fur get too stuck in it, though?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Hoyden » June 8th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Two Words = SLIP COVER!

Being a fabric whore, I'm always beating on fabric and using it for weird things. My dogs have destroyed more "sturdy" fabrics than I care to count.

The ones that held up the best are Denim, HEAVY cotton canvas and faux suede.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Hoyden wrote:Two Words = SLIP COVER!

Being a fabric lady of the night, I'm always beating on fabric and using it for weird things. My dogs have destroyed more "sturdy" fabrics than I care to count.

The ones that held up the best are Denim, HEAVY cotton canvas and faux suede.

yup, another vote for canvas, huh? Don't think I can live with Denim---I'll feel like a hippie. :afro:

What's the difference between faux suede and microfiber?
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Oh, and I've tried slipcovers and they always . . . well . . . slip around. I can never get them to look tidy. :|
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2006, 12:27 pm

you need to make sure the slip covers are make to the size of the cushions. i don't like the 'tie on' kind.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Ah, I went with the tie ons . . . I even went with those big name ones, what are they? (So big I can't remember, lol) . . . they looked like absolute garbage.

Where do you find the type you're talking about??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 8th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I have no idea... my mom just makes them herself. I know some catalogs have them. You could contact the manufacturer of your couch.

However, she does do custom work if you are really interested.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » June 8th, 2006, 12:33 pm

a-bull wrote:Oh, and I've tried slipcovers and they always . . . well . . . slip around. I can never get them to look tidy. :|

They move around when not secured properly.

They also need to be fitted for the piece of furniture. I made a slipcover for a horrific pea green couch and it had small zippers up the corners of the back hidden in the welting. That sucker stayed PUT!

I've also used heavy velcro, but it wasn't doberman with the zoomies proof and moved when the dog launched himself off the couch.

I've seen buttons used to secure the slipcover and doubling as decoration, but personally, all I see is something for the dog to chew off and the buttons are a PITA like you can't imagine.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » June 8th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Oh if you sew it yourself - do yourselve and ENORMOUS favor and make a cheap muslin first before you cut the expensive fabric.

Do all the tailoring on the muslin and then label the pieces, take it apart and use it as a custom pattern. Save it for use later incase the dogs destroy the slipcover.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Ah ha . . . these were the buggers I tried . . . http://www.surefit.net/

Michelle, I would love to have custom covers made-up, but at this point I'm looking for a new set, I think . . . because my cats even scratched up the leg areas. :x
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Hoyden wrote:Oh if you sew it yourself - do yourselve and ENORMOUS favor and make a cheap muslin first before you cut the expensive fabric.

Do all the tailoring on the muslin and then label the pieces, take it apart and use it as a custom pattern. Save it for use later incase the dogs destroy the slipcover.

lol . . . I don't even hem pants---I can do it, but I'm not very good at sewing. :drool:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 1:31 pm

I love our microfiber. The hairs do NOT go into the couch, rather sort of sit on top. But they get claw marks from the cats. If you have no cats, it'd be perfect. I put a blanket or towel where the cats jump down off the cat tree.
It's simple to clean too with a damp cloth.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 1:51 pm

We got rid of all our fabric furniture and switched to leather. So far, it's holding up well and the dogs aren't too fond of trying to "nest" because that just doesn't work on leather. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Marinepits wrote:We got rid of all our fabric furniture and switched to leather. So far, it's holding up well and the dogs aren't too fond of trying to "nest" because that just doesn't work on leather. :D

Do their toenails scratch it up though??
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » June 8th, 2006, 2:00 pm

The few deeper scratches we were able to buff out. At this point, because they can't nest in the leather like they love to do, they're tending to stay on the dog beds. Imagine that, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pittymomma » June 8th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I would go with a distressed leather. In the highest grade and one that is finished and coated. Or you could go with a lower grade of hide but have PVC in the hide (this is a inexpensive yet sturdy way of covering sofas)

I do not recommend microfiber. I made the mistake and was told its very pet friendly- it is in terms of hair but it traps in smell.

I have my sofa and love seat steam cleaned every three months :(

V
pittymomma
Just Whelped

Postby girlie » June 8th, 2006, 2:28 pm

I'm all about the leather, and not letting the dogs on furniture!!
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » June 8th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Before we got Rocky I covered my 15 year old furniture with a fabric that is sort of canvas like. Yes the hair gets stuck in it. A friend of mine who has a white shephard recently bought furniture. When shopping she brought a bag of dog hair with her and tested it out on the fabric. She ened up with microfiber. The hair brushes right off with her hand her sofa hardly has any hair on it and her dog sheds way more than mine. I think my fabric actually pulls Rockys hair out. Rocky is not allowed on the sofa but he fakes me out sometimes. Forget slipcovers unless they are custom. I think I am going to buy some nice fabric that hair will shake right off of and cover the cushions at least using velcro so I can remove and shake outside.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk