Kennels

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Veda » June 5th, 2006, 10:15 am

My husband and I are going to Jamaica tomorrow...which means...Veda is going in a kennel. This is a really good kennel, she only houses 8 dogs at a time. But I'm still worried about her mental health. I just hope when I get back she is the same old Veda. I just need reassurance I'm not going to screw my dog up! She came from the shelter and I don't want her to think she's going back to one!
:cry2:
Veda
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » June 5th, 2006, 10:23 am

I have plenty of shelter dogs that board with me here at the kennel I manage. None go home worse for wear, trust me. You're helping to resocialize her to a kennel setting, and realize that you guys will come back!!

Can you bring something that smells like home? If you can I would bring a couple of towels or blankets that smell like you. Have them only give her one at a time, and change them out every couple of days, so that she always has something that smells like you and your home (I'd tie them up in their own plastic bags to keep the scent fresh . . . 'cause I'm crazy like that :D )

With only 8 dogs boarding I'm sure they get plenty of special one on one attention, too. She'll do just fine :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » June 5th, 2006, 10:23 am

she will be fine.. what you do is give the kennel her favorite blanket and food, and they will take good care of her. have you used this kennel before? did you check them out ? what i do is if i am going away for a while i do doggy day care at the kennel i will use to get my crew used to the environment..

i am sure veda will be fine..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Veda » June 5th, 2006, 11:03 am

Yes I have used this kennel before for my other dog. I wasn't too worried about her because she adapts well and shes the aggresive one. She wasn't getting playtime no matter what! I have some T shirts I'm sending along with her very dirty doggy bed that smells like out other dog, and her kong! I hope she will be ok. I'm going to be so homesick for my pups!
Veda
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » June 5th, 2006, 12:17 pm

They are amazingly adaptable.

Heck, mine got in a horrible fight with eachother at the kennel last time (one can climb a 6 foot chain link, apparently), one lost part of an ear, and they were fine mentally afterwards. Came home and acted like nothing had happened.

Especially since yours will not be subjected to that sort of thing, I doubt a simple stay at a kennel will change the dog.

I agree, take a few things that smell like home, I always put a dog bed in with two of mine, and I take Tallulah's crate door off and put that in the kennel. She really loves her crate, so that helps her sleep and rest better. I also bring kongs and bones, WITH a jar of peanut butter and a plastic knife, so they can recharge them several times a day.

She will be fine!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » June 5th, 2006, 1:04 pm

well, you could always send the dogs to the islands for a vacation, and you stay home... LOL... dont worry, she will be fine
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » June 5th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Looking forward to hearing how well it went after you get back.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Vanessa » June 5th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Ozzy had to go to a kennel once while i was moving. He had never been away from me for more then a night before and he ended up staying a week. Everything was fine. He seemed like he had a great time. The woman only boarded 5 dogs at a time so he got lots of playtime. I wouldn't worry i'm sure your dogs will be fine. :)
R.I.P Ozzy my precious angel. You were loved every minute of every day.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk