Adoptathon

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maximus » June 7th, 2006, 11:08 pm

I'm still here. :oops: But Michelle agreed with me, so how exciting can this get? :P
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » June 7th, 2006, 11:09 pm

I actually was going to agree with you, too, and I'm a real bleeding heart, but I was afraid of throwing this thread even further into the sewer, lol . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » June 7th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Maximus wrote:I'm still here. :oops: But Michelle agreed with me, so how exciting can this get? :P

:hysterical:

sorry... I can pick a fight with you if that would make you feel better.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maximus » June 7th, 2006, 11:13 pm

So, I'm curious about this grumbly pleasure noise your dogs make! :clap: Chico sometimes sounds like a monkey when he's playing, but he doesn't usually grunt and grumble when he's enjoying a scratchin'. Then again, Ruby bares all her teeth when she's ecstatic and I think it's the silliest, goofiest thing in the world, so I can understand misreading a warning from a dog other than my own. :ROFL2:
Maximus
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » June 7th, 2006, 11:17 pm

a-bull wrote:I actually was going to agree with you, too, and I'm a real bleeding heart, but I was afraid of throwing this thread even further into the sewer, lol . . .

Ah hell, why not??

Vette, I am curious as to why you said Yaegar was dominant when he bit your son. How did he act when it happened? What made you call that a dominant act? I was relating to how Munkee plays when I said I was mistaken, when he feels skin he stops, drops & wimpers. With him it is an accident. It happens when we play tug, not because I am taking a toy from him, because he gets excited & is trying to get a better hold. What did your dog do when he realized he bit him?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sue » June 8th, 2006, 6:13 am

a-bull wrote:
Sue wrote:
a-bull wrote:I bet your parents taught you all about how to behave around dogs, too, huh?? Not many parents now-a-days do---instead your dog should never, ever act like anything other than a bunny rabbit or it should be put to sleep.

Funny, but I don't remember really. I just always had some kind of pet and I always LOVED animals, so I don't know if was nature or nurture :D

Same here, but I do remember my Mom always telling me not to touch strange dogs, not to touch people's dogs without asking, don't pat a dog on its head, etc.

Of course I didn't always listen. I wasn't a victim though---I was just naughty. :devilWink:

We didn't have a lot of dogs (only 2) on our street or kids (only 3) for that matter! My neighborhood wasn't one where I would go from house to house. I pretty much didn't go further than 2 houses down. When I got bit by the GSD, I was with the neighbors on their deck. But I do remember my parents asking me what I had done when the dog bit me - then off to the emergency room :)
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 8:28 am

lol . . . same here, Sue . . . when I got bit my Mom said, "Did you run??!" Of course I had, so naturally the response was, "I've told you not to run." :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » June 8th, 2006, 8:32 am

Maximus wrote:So, I'm curious about this grumbly pleasure noise your dogs make! :clap: Chico sometimes sounds like a monkey when he's playing, but he doesn't usually grunt and grumble when he's enjoying a scratchin'. Then again, Ruby bares all her teeth when she's ecstatic and I think it's the silliest, goofiest thing in the world, so I can understand misreading a warning from a dog other than my own. :ROFL2:

My brothers dog bares his teeth, too, when he's content---it's creeps people out.

My dog makes a quiet growly noise when he's content, and when he was a pup, it was an all out, constant growley noise. I tried to squelch it somewhat when he was a pup because I knew as he got older it would scare people---but he does still do it a little.

I find most dogs give of pretty clear warning when they're ticked---they're just not always easy to read, and that doesn't make them unsound in my book---that just makes them dogs. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » June 8th, 2006, 11:19 am

Vette, I am curious as to why you said Yaegar was dominant when he bit your son. How did he act when it happened? What made you call that a dominant act?

The bite itself wasn't dominant, not at all. It's how he plays. I actually mean he's a very driven dog when he plays, to the extent that we have to be real careful. The bite was an accident but one that would happen alot if we didn't teach him to sit before we throw him the toy. Tyler grabbed up a toy and Yaeger grabbed for it at the same time, which is why Ty got bit. I told him that he needs to let us do the throwing, etc. The seriousness with with Yaeger takes his "play" would have made him a good police dog.
I see dominance in other areas, like barging through the door ahead of us. These are things we have to "remind" him of daily. If we didn't we'd have an out of control dog on our hands and that combined with his size and guarding instinct would be a disaster. If he was in someone's home that
wasn't aware of those things, it would be a disaster.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk