Foot Licking

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » April 3rd, 2011, 2:32 pm

Does anyone else have dogs who are forever licking their feet? With Trouble we always assumed it was allergies because she would lick until they were raw if we didn't stop her. With Duke it appears to be more of a grooming thing, but is very intense. He gets focused and you have to get his attention to make him stop. :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » April 3rd, 2011, 2:51 pm

Does he have any Labrador DNA? Because that is all they do, in a non-allergy way. The only time I yell at Truman is when I say: STOP LICKING. It drives me insane with the slurping. He does the nails first, then works his way to the fur on the top of his paw, then moves to the fur between his pads. My Lab Louie did the same thing.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » April 3rd, 2011, 3:02 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Does he have any Labrador DNA?
Staffie/Pitbull, but we could call him a labraduke. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » April 3rd, 2011, 3:36 pm

Two lickers here. Kinzyl does it to clean. She is like a cat. Sammy does it just to annoy me :nono: I think and he is also a little neurotic :crazy2: I say "stop licking" so much that this past weekend Mckinlee was telling him to "no lick Sammy" :D I do have to take his attention away sometimes because he gets so intense with it.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » April 3rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

Good god...I just checked Fig's feet and told him to stop messing with them, I open up PBT and see this...lol. He's been licking his left rear foot all day today...and that's not normal for his allergy flare-ups. Not sure what he's doing it for...

None of my other dogs lick their feet.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 3rd, 2011, 4:33 pm

Inara likes to lick her hoo-haw obsessively. At least your dogs are socially acceptable! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » April 3rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara likes to lick her hoo-haw obsessively. At least your dogs are socially acceptable! lol

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, that's just too funny!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » April 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:At least your dogs are socially acceptable!
We're safe :D , I don't think Duke has a 'hoo-haw' :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 3rd, 2011, 5:25 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:

:spit:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » April 3rd, 2011, 7:27 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:

phew!

Doogie is my foot licker and I forget why the vet said he did it...they just told me it would be..
airwalk
I live here

Postby furever_pit » April 3rd, 2011, 7:54 pm

Dylan licks both of his front feet in exactly the same spot. It's on some bone that I don't know the name of. He tries to be all sneaky about it when I have him in the house and he's chilling out or he's on my bed, starts out all quiet and looks at me to see if I have noticed yet and then he gets all slurpy and gross and I tell him to stop. I don't know what it is or why he does it cause he doesn't have any allergies. He's just weird that way.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » April 3rd, 2011, 8:17 pm

Some dogs are just compulsive lickers... Sofie used to lick ALL the time - it wasn't allergy related, it was more of an obsessive/compulsive thing that she did. OCD can come hand in hand with anxiety disorders... but some dogs just have compulsions to lick.

It's not "bad" other than being annoying, just watch closely because sometimes dogs do it to the point they get things called 'lick granulomas' which is a sore, or they can get infections between their toes from licking all the time.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » April 3rd, 2011, 9:38 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Good god...I just checked Fig's feet and told him to stop messing with them, I open up PBT and see this...lol. He's been licking his left rear foot all day today...and that's not normal for his allergy flare-ups. Not sure what he's doing it for...

None of my other dogs lick their feet.

FYI, from my experience with Oscar's allergies, the location and type of flare-up have changed many times throughout his life, pustules, flakes/dandruff and dry-type skin, on the belly, ear infections, skin infections all over his main body, fungal yeast infections, foot licking patchy "hot spot" like infections... you get the idea ;)

My theory on foot looking? I think it might start with itchy or slightly itchy feet and then lead to habit. I think it also might be like sucking your thumb, a sort of self soothing action.

Oscar responds to "don't lick your feet" spoken or... repeated as a holler :rolleyes2:
Try as I might, he still has saliva stained feet :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » April 4th, 2011, 5:45 am

Malli wrote:FYI, from my experience with Oscar's allergies, the location and type of flare-up have changed many times throughout his life, pustules, flakes/dandruff and dry-type skin, on the belly, ear infections, skin infections all over his main body, fungal yeast infections, foot licking patchy "hot spot" like infections... you get the idea ;)

This describes our experiences with Trouble - exactly. We did find some skin places on Duke last night. Little round irritated places - two on his butt, one on the belly, and he's had a couple of spots on his back that we're waiting on the hair to regrow. He may have to go in for some antibiotics to kick start the healing.

I see nothing wrong with the feet though. :|
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » April 4th, 2011, 1:44 pm

does he have black and pigmented feet? It may be hard to see?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » April 4th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Malli wrote:does he have black and pigmented feet?
Yep :)

Duke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Look at that handsome mug!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » April 4th, 2011, 2:40 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Look at that handsome mug!
Mr. Duke says woof..Thanks Liz :)
If he didn't have a 'lop' ear, a stub for a tail and had balls, all the ladys would be after him. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » April 4th, 2011, 5:38 pm

He has Truman's "Asian eyes"! (And I don't mean that in a derogatory way, to the Asian population or Duke.)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby furever_pit » April 4th, 2011, 7:47 pm

You hush now, his lop ear is ADORABULL!!1
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk