Scary incident last night

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 3rd, 2011, 10:35 pm

Last night I came home after a wedding reception and went to let the dogs out of their crates.
The crates are set up 3 in a row, Piper, Sid, then Shades. So, as normal, I let Shades out first and opened Sid's door. All of a sudden there was a commotion in front of me and she started screaming. I looked down to figure out that her foot was caught in the crate wires along the front side and she was furiously attempting to pull away from the crate to free herself. In the excitement (and because of her screaming, I suspect) Shades started biting her. She was so scared she peed on the floor and someone blew their anal glands. I was quickly able to shove Shades back and get him to stop biting (thankfully he responds well to being scolded-- he went back into his crate). Then I grabbed Sid by the collar and pulled her back towards her crate, at which point her leg was freed.
All the while Piper was barking and crying at the craziness.
Sidney wouldn't put her foot down for quite a while and hid in her crate when I tried to check it out.
Thankfully later she started walking on it and today she's back to normal, not even a little swelling.
Had me shaking and my heart pumping.
I'm really glad the dogs had their collars on. This helped me usher Shades out of the quarrel and also pull Sidney back so she didn't hurt herself more.
I often wonder if it is a bad idea to keep their collars on when the go in their crates, but in this instance I'm happy I didn't. I guess fluke things can happen either way.

Poor Sidda is having it rough-- this happened just a couple days after I accidentally closed her in the basement for an hour or two. :(
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 3rd, 2011, 10:38 pm

Poor Sidney...that sucks big time. It happened years ago to us, one of my dogs got his feet caught, and my sister's dog started biting him. Awful! Bean caught a foot a few years ago in the crate...jumping out of the van, and broke off his toenail and toebone. It still gives me the shivers thinking about it...ugh.

Glad Sid is okay now...:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » January 3rd, 2011, 10:44 pm

I'm glad everything came out ok. Kudos to you for keeping a clear head through all of that!!

We crate the dogs with their normal collars on - the narrowest is Ruby's at 1 1/2 inches. I wouldn't leave a choke or other restrictive collar on, but I like having collars for something to grab onto - especially with Ruby and Connor.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 3rd, 2011, 10:58 pm

mnp13 wrote: Kudos to you for keeping a clear head through all of that!!

It all happened so quickly! I guess with managing multiple dogs, a lot of it comes down to experience, instinct, and quick reaction time.
Everyone had to go back in their crates for some cool down time before I was sure I could let them out without a scuffle.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 4th, 2011, 8:48 am

How scary! I imagine your heart is still pounding!

Glad everybody is okay.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2011, 10:16 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:How scary! I imagine your heart is still pounding!

Glad everybody is okay.

x2 :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » January 4th, 2011, 11:55 am

:o Oh Allie, I know that you were probably scared to death. You did good. I am glad that everyone is ok now. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby furever_pit » January 4th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Aw, poor Syd. I'm glad she is feeling better.
Good job keeping your head and dealing with the situation. It's always way better if you can still operate well with all that adrenaline pumping.

I too keep collars on my dogs when they are in the crates, the 2" wide ones. I worry about them getting caught sometimes, but all in all figure that I'd rather have the collars there.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 4th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Poor Sid, I bet she was scared out of her mind. First the foot caught, then getting bit for screaming! Yikes!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Holy Moly. :shock: You handled that very well. Kudos to you!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » January 5th, 2011, 1:15 am

I am sorry it freaked you out Allie but SO glad everyone is ok. (((hugs)))
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » January 5th, 2011, 5:17 pm

glad ya'll are ok for sure! :hug3: Hopefully she's having a much better week!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Pit Bull Talk