Lost Dog Reunited with Owner After Months of Separation

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Marinepits » November 9th, 2010, 6:25 pm

:D A HUGE congratulations to DRAW!

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-nationa ... separation

Washington - When the DRAW Rescue volulnteer received a phone call about a stray dog this past August, she was going to give her standard advice and advise the caller to contact Animal Control. But curiosity got the better of the volunteer and she started asking questions.

It turns out that the stray dog was very close to the volunteer's home. Apparently, the dog was injured and frightened and nobody could get close.

Not one to let an injured dog suffer, the volunteer set out with a leash, bag of treats and a blanket - hoping that she would be able to coax the injured dog to safety.

What ensued was a several hour game of cat and mouse - the volunteer would get close, and the dog would limp away. Thankfully, after several hours of tireless pursuit in the blazing sun, the dog collapsed, exhausted, and the determined volunteer was able to scoop her up and carry her to back to her waiting car.

A trip to the rescue's veterinarian revealed that the stray dog had a badly broken leg. Draw Rescue did not hesitate to agree to the surgery that would be necessary to put the broken dog back together.

The dog, now named Lexxie, had her surgery, and went home with the volunteer that caught her so that she could heal. One week post surgery, Lexxie attempted to bolt from her foster home, ripping her stitches from her leg. She had to revisit the vet clinic to be sewn up yet again. Thankfully, she did not attempt to escape after this incident.

Draw Rescue notified animal control of the found dog, and also posted notices on Craigslist - hoping to find Lexxie's owner. Nobody stepped forward to claim the stray, injured dog.

As the weeks passed, Lexxie healed and began to attend adoption events. According to DRAW, she was always the star of the show - stealing people's hearts with her sweet, well-behaved demeanor.

She was amazing with children and well, just amazing in general. Draw had no doubt that she would be an amazing find for a special adopter.

When the first adoption inquiry came in for Lexxie, it was someone asking about the dog's availability. The person was told that Lexxie was just now available in light of her prior injury. Another inquiry came in from the same person later in the day.

The person claimed to know who owned the dog and that the dog's real name was Estrella and that her owner had been searching frantically for her for nearly 3 months.

Within moments, the owner of Lexxie/Estrella phoned the Draw volunteer. He explained what had happened to spur Estrella's disappearance.

Back on August 17, three days before the dog was found, Lexxie/Estrella bolted from her yard after a sonic boom frightened her. Residents of Washington State will recall that day - fighter jets had been deployed from Portland, OR to Seattle when a float plane violated airspace restraints put in place while President Obama visited the area.

The owner had been searching for his dog ever since. After spending several minutes on the phone, talking about the dog, the volunteer invited the man to her home.

Lexxie/Estrella had lived with this volunteer for nearly 3 months. She was sweet, but shy and reserved. She had come around from the time she had been found, but still had a long way to go.

According to the volunteer, that all changed the minute that her true owner walked through the door. The dog heard his voice, launched herself from the couch, and ran to his waiting arms. A tearful reunion followed.

According to Estrella's foster mom,

Estrella/Lexxie left that night to finally go HOME where she belonged.

If you would like to continue receiving dog related articles, including the latest news, tips and advice, please click the Subscribe Icon. It's free and anonymous. Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing this article with others.

Story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » November 9th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Awwww....it warms my heart!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby madremissy » November 9th, 2010, 8:09 pm

This is exactly why I love what Vi and her crew do. Happy Endings are so rare these days but it doesn't stop them from doing a wonderful job everyday.

I love you Vi! :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pocketpit » November 9th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Awsome news for Lex and DRAW!! I'm even more thrilled for her owner. Having been in that position before I can only imagine the elation at getting her back.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » November 9th, 2010, 8:57 pm

There were actually people on FB that were saying we shouldn't give her back because of the money we spent. :bs:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 9th, 2010, 9:29 pm

What a fantastic story!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » November 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:There were actually people on FB that were saying we shouldn't give her back because of the money we spent. :bs:

I was absolutely SHOCKED when I read that. BS is right!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » November 9th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Hooray for happy endings!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Ino » November 9th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Way to go DRAW!!! That comment on FB is BS. Good for you guys doing what is best for the dog and owner!! :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » November 9th, 2010, 10:50 pm

I know rescue people get jaded but I was shocked at some people's reactions. I'm just so glad Estrella and her family were reunited!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » November 9th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Chalk up one for the good guys! Excellent job DRAW, that's doing it right for the right reasons.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » November 10th, 2010, 10:00 am

*sniffle*

WTG! :clap: What a great story!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » November 10th, 2010, 10:38 am

Oh that is amazing! Yay for Estrella and yay for Draw!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Malli » November 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Marinepits wrote:
BigDogBuford wrote:There were actually people on FB that were saying we shouldn't give her back because of the money we spent. :bs:

I was absolutely SHOCKED when I read that. BS is right!

WTF? Particularly after hearing just how she was lost. She isn't a cash cow :o Though hopefully her owner will chip in for her care while she was "on the lamb"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » November 10th, 2010, 1:51 pm

There were people on FB that felt her owners hadn't looked hard enough for her. Let's face it, most of JQ Public doesn't really know how to look for a lost dog. Plus, there was a language barrier. Thankfully it all worked out!
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » November 10th, 2010, 2:36 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:There were people on FB that felt her owners hadn't looked hard enough for her. Let's face it, most of JQ Public doesn't really know how to look for a lost dog. Plus, there was a language barrier. Thankfully it all worked out!

You're never going to make everyone happy. People would have freaked if you denied him the dog back, other people are mad because you did. You can't win.

and she was an intact female that hadn't been bred half to death, that says something about the owner.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BigDogBuford » November 10th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Plus, they are from a different country and frankly different cultures have different ideas on spay and neuter. Not to mention tail docking and ear cropping.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » November 10th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Oh for sure, you just can't make everyone happy...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BullyLady » November 12th, 2010, 3:28 am

Aw, that's a super sweet story!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Return to Pit Bull Talk