Tramautic event from last weekend

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitsnok » October 24th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I can't believe I forgot to post about this. Perhaps I have just been blocking out because it was such a tramautic experience... but here goes! (Keep in mind it's like 3am and we had friends over. I might have had a few glasses of wine so of course I was even more dramatic than usual.)

Degan and Harlow killed a pigeon last weekend. It was horrifying, as I am really afraid of birds.
First I heard a sound over by our fence. I was worried it was a skunk but upon looking closely I couldn't see anything so I brushed it off and went back to my conversation with my friends.
Suddenly, Harlow was playing with something in the exact area I had heard the sound. Someone said, "Does Harlow have a bird?!". She was playing with it like it was a little stuffed animal. Not trying to injure it or anything...in the same way she plays with bugs really. We yelled from across the yard, "Harlow NOOO!" She looked up at us, startled, and the already injured pigeon came flying TOWARDS MY FACE. So the bird dive bombs my head, I hide behind our grill, and luckily the bird flew into a tree and we thought all was over.
WRONG! All of a sudden the bird falls from the tree, and I haven't even had a chance to wrangle the dogs up because I was recovering from my near-death pigeon attack... so of course who is there to scoop up the bird? Degan...and he wasn't just trying to play with it. It was like slow motion as he turned and ran across the yard toward all of us PIGEON IN MOUTH with his ears up all playful like, "Look mom! Look what I got!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, ran around our firepit and through our group of friends so I could fling open the back door and yell to my boyfriend, (and I mean, shrieking yell.) "TANNER!! DEGAN HAS A BIRD! DEGAN HAS A BIRD COME OUT HERE NOWWWW!!!!!!" Of course he probably couldn't understand a word I was saying but it was apparent there was some sort of emergency happening so he ran outside to investigate. Degan had dropped the bird in the midst of all the chaos and screaming and Tanner calmly walked over PICKED IT UP and said, "This bird?" ...

Needless to say I definitely gave both dogs a good teeth-brushing afterward, and will forever be horrified that Degan is going to bring me dead pigeon presents.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » October 24th, 2010, 11:10 pm

I would have died.

One of my cats brought something into my bedroom once, I didn't know what it was when he had it, but it was flapping and screaming - so I left my glasses off and ran for help. One of my bestest friends had asked me if I could let a friend of hers stay at my apartment, I had never met the guy until about 10 hours earlier. Now, it was 5 in the morning and I was running around my apartment in a t-shirt. Poor Dan was sleeping in the living room and I woke him up to deal with whatever Mordred had.

I gave him a garbage pail, then shoved him down the hall to my room. Well, Mordred wouldn't give it up, so he tossed cat and bat into the hallway and then dragged him back in by his tail. He let go of the bat and Dan dropped the pail over it. He let it go outside... but at that point we were both so wired that we couldn't go back to sleep.

I still call him "Dan the bat man" (spoken with italics)

I'm with you on the opinion of "flying things," keep them away from me!

Tanner calmly walked over PICKED IT UP and said, "This bird?" ...

I would have had a melt down.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Tubular Toby » October 24th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Haha, sorry I couldn't help but laugh at imagining the sheer panic you described. I am not particularly afraid of birds, although a bat would freak me out.

Toby has never managed to grab anything other than bees and wasps (he's not the brightest....), thankfully.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » October 24th, 2010, 11:50 pm

I know a lot of people that have phobias of birds or anything that can fly. My cousin will have a stroke if she even hears something flapping.

I'm not really bothered by anything they might catch, the most disgusting thing for me is that my dogs don't just kill things, they eat them. Finding half of a squirrel is kind of icky - finding half of a squirrel inside your dog's mouth is even more gross!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » October 25th, 2010, 5:40 am

8) Lenny's first summer with me, he brought me an opossum. Mostly alive and playing dead. He wanted to bring it into the house. He was SO proud of himself

Darlene threw up an entire rabbit on my bed. It was still warm and guts were moving.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » October 25th, 2010, 9:05 am

iluvk9 wrote:8) Lenny's first summer with me, he brought me an opossum. Mostly alive and playing dead. He wanted to bring it into the house. He was SO proud of himself

Darlene threw up an entire rabbit on my bed. It was still warm and guts were moving.

We had a doberman bring us an opossum (in the house) once. As for Darlene, I would have to burn the bed - Yuk :puke:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby LMM » October 25th, 2010, 9:12 am

Max and Otis (previous foster) once tried to bring me a squirrel. My screaming banshee act killed all hopes of that for them. The squirrel survived covered in slobber while clinging to the fence for dear life as he slowly and gingerly made his way to the other side where the dogs couldn't get him. He was in a little bit of shock so didn't have his normal squirrel-y movements. All this happened as I held stayed vigil until he made it to the other side and continued to threaten and scream at Max and Otis to stay back.

Fun times at 7 in the morning when you are getting ready for work.

A pigeon. Blech!

It always grosses me out when dogs eat frogs too. Then they froth at the mouth, gross!I have quite a few friends whose dogs have done this.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby PetieMarie22 » October 25th, 2010, 9:16 am

I had a completly dead bird in my attic at my old apartment. I was going to try to no be a baby and get it out myself, but everytime I looked at it, I just started hyperventilating! There is just something really creepy about birds!!!
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » October 25th, 2010, 9:23 am

Duke is our frog hunter. He will hold them in his mouth forever. Doesn't try to eat them, just holds them and foams/drools all over everything. No amount of 'drop it' will make him let his prize go, but being the chow hound he is, you can trade a treat for the frog every time. Then you have the charge of being fast enough to grab the frog before the treat is gone. :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitsnok » October 25th, 2010, 2:20 pm

We haven't had any frog presents yet... Surprisingly. We had tons of toads living under our deck this summer but I never saw the dogs even notice them. Harlow just loves to play with things that move, haha. She will chase any bug except butterflies, which I think is strange because they're so...fluttery...

Sometime probably a year ago I was sitting on the couch where I can see the dogs outside, and Harlow ran inside and immediately laid under the coffee table (that's where they go when they're trying to be secretive with their treasures). I went to see what she was chewing on and it was most definitely the BOTTOM half of a bird! Just the legs and one wing. That, my friends, was probably worse than the live pigeon... because who knows where she got it. I was home alone so I had to finagle a shovel out of a paper plate or something to get it out. The other half of the bird was sitting just outside our back door. YUCK. I don't know how I survived that one without a complete meltdown, but I did!

I'm thinking I should get her one of those bumble ball toys. They used to sell them for kids when I was younger, but now they are marketed towards dogs...for some reason that is hilarious to me, haha.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 25th, 2010, 8:12 pm

My guys don't kill anything...they've learned with all of the small critters in the house. ;) They're not big chasers either...I've seen rabbits in the yard with them.

Xander has caught two things in his life...he caught a bird on the wing once, and immediately spit it out...."blech!" and the same thing with a squirrel...caught it and dropped it immediately. "It's no fun if I can catch you!!!" he seems to say.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby tiva » October 25th, 2010, 10:48 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Xander has caught two things in his life...he caught a bird on the wing once, and immediately spit it out...."blech!" and the same thing with a squirrel...

Vanya caught one of our hens and just held her between his paws and licked the poor chicken's belly. She screeched bloody murder and Vanya looked puzzled. He had no clue what he was supposed to do next (right answer: let the hen go!)
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Hoyden » October 25th, 2010, 11:45 pm

tiva wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Xander has caught two things in his life...he caught a bird on the wing once, and immediately spit it out...."blech!" and the same thing with a squirrel...

Vanya caught one of our hens and just held her between his paws and licked the poor chicken's belly. She screeched bloody murder and Vanya looked puzzled. He had no clue what he was supposed to do next (right answer: let the hen go!)

Just last week, Birdie dropped a dead grackle in my lap while I was working on the computer. Scared the holy hells out of me. I was screaming like you couldn't imagine. She didn't kill it, I broke it's neck when it flew into the glass door. She just picked it up and brought it to me.

YUCK! But the irony of a shiny seal colored (almost black) dog named Birdie bringing me a shiny black bird was too much.

Petey used to corner squirrels at the corner of the fences, hold them down & lick them. Then they'd get away, get to the top of the fence and scold him. My husband called Bull puckey until he saw it for himself.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby amalie79 » October 26th, 2010, 9:40 am

The dogs have caught multiple possums... Robin killed a robin :rolleyes2: and some blue jays this summer... River has caught and killed voles, Simon used to get frogs. I learned a long time ago to just let em have whatever it is, and clean up the aftermath later. If it's a possum, they can usually play dead and get away alive, though Simon was known to shake them to death in his youth. Your run-in with a still flying half-dead pigeon is exactly why. That, and I hate that they'll either suffer or I'll have to kill them. I just let the dogs handle it.

One of my cats used to catch snakes when she was an indoor/outdoor cat. She found a nest of rat snakes and just kept bringing in the babies-- one at a time. My roommate got so upset one day when I wasn't home that she asked a random dude walking down the street to please come into the house and get the snakes out. I had another cat that I swear to you leapt from the floor of our porch to the 9 or 10 foot ceiling, caught the bird that was flapping around in the corner, and disappeared with it, all in about 2 seconds.

Yep. I leave the little turds to conduct their gross small animal death excursions and walk away.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » October 26th, 2010, 5:50 pm

mnp13 wrote:I would have died.

:rolleyes2: I WANT you to KNOW....I'm trying REALLY-REALLY-HARD not to Laugh at You guys... :smileUp: :wave2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » October 26th, 2010, 6:49 pm

ArtGypsy wrote: :rolleyes2: I WANT you to KNOW....I'm trying REALLY-REALLY-HARD not to Laugh at You guys... :smileUp: :wave2:

Oh you shut up. :wave2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » October 26th, 2010, 7:10 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I would have died.

:rolleyes2: I WANT you to KNOW....I'm trying REALLY-REALLY-HARD not to Laugh at You guys... :smileUp: :wave2:

:clap:
:giggle:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » October 26th, 2010, 7:22 pm

mnp13 wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote: :rolleyes2: I WANT you to KNOW....I'm trying REALLY-REALLY-HARD not to Laugh at You guys... :smileUp: :wave2:

Oh you shut up. :wave2:

BUT.. :D
You-guys-are-So-Danged
CUTE
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby mnp13 » October 26th, 2010, 11:25 pm

Send bitework dogs down field at me all day long, I'm fine with that. Stick me on a trial field with a bunch of bite work dogs with no equipment on for protection, I'm fine with that. Rugby game? Sure! Train horses? Yup. All sorts of stupid dangerous stuff.. no problem. Fly a bird at my head and I'm outta there!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitsnok » October 27th, 2010, 1:13 am

Send bitework dogs down field at me all day long, I'm fine with that. Stick me on a trial field with a bunch of bite work dogs with no equipment on for protection, I'm fine with that. Rugby game? Sure! Train horses? Yup. All sorts of stupid dangerous stuff.. no problem. Fly a bird at my head and I'm outta there!

AAAAmen!

I am kind of a big scary girl... (6' tall, tattoos, crazy hair, etc) jumped out of an airplane, am DAMN good with REAL power tools, ghost movies are my favorite, I think drag cars are man's gift to me, but a bird will cause me to shriek, duck, curl up in a ball and PANIC.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk