Went to the local shelter today

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 5:07 pm

Hi everyone!! We picked up some dog treats and went to the local animal shelter today. I was so saddened by some of the dogs I saw. There were a ton of Pits and Pit Mixes there. I overheard a woman say to her kids, "Wow there are a lot of Pit Bulls here." I turned and said to her. "Well I have one and he is the best dog out of the three I have and the other two are Lab Mixes." She just looked at me blankly as she looked down at my two young children. Next time I go I will try and go by myself so I can take a few out. A few of the Pits that I saw had some major fresh bruising on their faces. There was also a mix that was sitting sadly looking out at me. There was also a momma dog with 3 pups that were still nursing. What a shame. I wish I could have taken a few home.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » May 23rd, 2006, 5:13 pm

:(

At least they got some loving... poor babies. They break my heart.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

The momma and the little pups made me so sad.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jenn » May 23rd, 2006, 5:18 pm

Before I had my daughter, I loved to go and volunteer. I haven't done it in years, but I was always so sad when I left to go home. :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 5:25 pm

I have to say my kids were so good when we were there. I told them not to go near the cages and to let me give the treats. They listened really well and were so excited to see the dogs. My son told me when we got in the car that he was a little scared because they were all barking so much. So we talked about it a little more and he said he would go with me again. My kids are 2 & 5.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Vanessa » May 23rd, 2006, 6:30 pm

That is so great that you are showing your kids how to act around animals at a young age. Kids that good will likely not end up bit and will love and treat animals kindly forever. :) They sound so sweet.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby kymn25 » May 23rd, 2006, 6:32 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I have to say my kids were so good when we were there. I told them not to go near the cages and to let me give the treats. They listened really well and were so excited to see the dogs. My son told me when we got in the car that he was a little scared because they were all barking so much. So we talked about it a little more and he said he would go with me again. My kids are 2 & 5.

Ahhh Bless there little hearts :groupHug:
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 7:02 pm

Thank you. I grew up with animals and knew at a young age how to treat them. I just feel they should know the same.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 23rd, 2006, 7:08 pm

luvmyangels wrote:Thank you. I grew up with animals and knew at a young age how to treat them. I just feel they should know the same.

Me too. I've taught my 3 kids a very high value for animals. In fact, my oldest wore her Anti-BSL shirt for school pictures. I thought that was cute :)
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 7:15 pm

Jesseca wrote:In fact, my oldest wore her Anti-BSL shirt for school pictures. I thought that was cute :)

That is cool!!!

There are a few farm programs not too far from me that I would like them to go be a part of. I have to get the ball rolling to get them enrolled. When I was younger my mother was married to someone that owned a farm and I was around all the horses, cows, deer, goats, chickens, geese, turkeys, etc....
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 23rd, 2006, 7:21 pm

luvmyangels wrote:There are a few farm programs not too far from me that I would like them to go be a part of. I have to get the ball rolling to get them enrolled. When I was younger my mother was married to someone that owned a farm and I was around all the horses, cows, deer, goats, chickens, geese, turkeys, etc....

That would be cool
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby muse » May 23rd, 2006, 7:28 pm

I cant go into shelters. Id walk out with a dog, no doubt. Bless your heart for doing it though, thats very sweet.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 8:41 pm

Good job Mary Ann!! You made some puppies very happy!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 9:15 pm

muse wrote:I cant go into shelters. Id walk out with a dog, no doubt. Bless your heart for doing it though, thats very sweet.

I know if I came home with another dog I may have to live in the yard with it. Although all my other dogs live inside. I already have 3. But I saw some real cuties and it was tempting.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 9:16 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Good job Mary Ann!! You made some puppies very happy!

Thank you. It made me feel good and it was a nice thing to do with the kids.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 23rd, 2006, 9:19 pm

I was just telling my husband about our day and saying how I feel so bad for the dogs. He started shaking his head because I said it is just sad how some of them were so nice and they were not going to be adopted behind the bars and not being socialized. He walked away. LOL
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 24th, 2006, 9:58 am

luvmyangels wrote:He started shaking his head because I said it is just sad how some of them were so nice and they were not going to be adopted behind the bars and not being socialized.

This is the biggest problem with shelters I have been to, including the one where I used to volunteer. Like your son said, all those dogs barking at you can get scary. Shelter dogs need so much more socialization and training if some of them are ever going to get adopted. Very few of them look good to potential adopters when they're flipping out in their cage...

It always amazed me too how many people were anti-pit bull. But just give me a few minutes with them... I should've been a car salesman! :wink:

The disturbing thing is that the ACO's at this shelter BELIEVED all the pit bulls myths (not good with kids, locking jaw, etc). No wonder they have such a low adoption rate! :o

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 25th, 2006, 4:33 pm

LindsaySF wrote:
luvmyangels wrote:He started shaking his head because I said it is just sad how some of them were so nice and they were not going to be adopted behind the bars and not being socialized.

This is the biggest problem with shelters I have been to, including the one where I used to volunteer. Like your son said, all those dogs barking at you can get scary. Shelter dogs need so much more socialization and training if some of them are ever going to get adopted. Very few of them look good to potential adopters when they're flipping out in their cage...

It always amazed me too how many people were anti-pit bull. But just give me a few minutes with them... I should've been a car salesman! :wink:

The disturbing thing is that the ACO's at this shelter BELIEVED all the pit bulls myths (not good with kids, locking jaw, etc). No wonder they have such a low adoption rate! :o

~Lindsay~

The shelter I went to is a town shelter and my understanding is that they are a "No Kill Shelter". They are also from what I heard one of the better shelters because they "supposively" work with the dogs to try and get them adopted. Not sure the validity of that. But when I was leaving my son said to me I need to wash my hands (although he toucked nothing there). I had stuff in the car to clean them with. But someone from the shelter was right in front of me and said you can use the bathroom because this place is really disgusting. I was kind of taken back by the comment.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 4:36 pm

No kill shelter? I only know of one and it is a hole. they acutally have a dog that has lived in a shelter run for TWELVE YEARS.

Most transfer dogs to kill shelters or label dogs unadoptable so that they can lie and call themselves 'no kill'
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LindsaySF » May 25th, 2006, 4:38 pm

luvmyangels wrote:But someone from the shelter was right in front of me and said you can use the bathroom because this place is really disgusting. I was kind of taken back by the comment.

That is sad, but it doesn't surprise me unfortunately. :( Many people that work in shelters hate their job and have only negative things to say about it and the dogs.

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk