Your Terrible Ten?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amalie79 » September 23rd, 2010, 5:11 pm

BullyLady wrote:From working at a vet's office..... I can't really make a top 10 list but I can make a #1 and a #2

#1 is by FAR Dachschunds, I have been bit SO many times by them! Nasty little effers......
#2 would probably have to be Cockers, those dogs are off their rockers on the whole.

I've had several neighbors with dachshunds and they have none of them been pleasant pups-- we recently had neighbors that Simon really did not like. They stared at him, tried to approach too quickly, and he acted like an ass. But of course, when they stand there holding their long-haired doxie, who was acting equally assy-- barking, growling, lunging-- they assured me she's very sweet.

Now, I was watching Dogs 101 the other day, when they had APBTs on-- one of the PROFESSIONALS said that you have to be careful because pits can and have "snapped." He seemed to suggest that they do actually, suddenly go berserk, but gave no further explanation (LATER in the show he compared them to a sports car that needs a more responsible driver because of its power). Then they went on to gush over the sweet wonderfulness that is being owned by a cocker spaniel.

I've known some sweet cockers and some really, truly unpleasant ones. And some downright stupid ones-- but that almost made me barf.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » September 23rd, 2010, 5:25 pm

I don't have a top ten either. Luckily, I've never had a bite from a dog that wasn't done in play. Jade the cat bit me and scratched me drawing blood both times. I have encountered some nasty little dogs who wanted and tried to bite me. They were Chihuahuas and Min Pins. I can't stand either breed.

I owned three cocker spaniels and they were all the sweetest dogs.

My Mini Doxy, Kaiser, snapped at my grandson a few times when Bayne tried to pet him. Kaiser did not like little children.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 23rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Honestly, I'm starting to see why Dachshunds have it so bad...(and yes, I've known many, many nasty dachshunds)...having one now, and seeing what kids want to do with him and how people pick him up...I can't blame them for lashing out. lol People don't know how to pick up a long backed dog!

Diana...my worst bite was from my dad's doberman...who was always a big scaredy cat all of his life...until we had a dog fight (Inara and my dad's Carolina Dog type mix)...and the doberman came rushing over, and bit my dad, me and Inara. I don't blame all dobes, nor did I hold a grudge against dobes...but honestly, he had to make it onto my list. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby copperlegend » September 24th, 2010, 8:42 am

The only dog that has not gotten along with Nadia is a dachshund, he has little man syndrome.
Joanna
Proud 'failed foster'
Nadia -APBT mix
CarreraKitty - feline extraordinaire
copperlegend
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Ino » September 24th, 2010, 8:06 pm

1- Chi's
2- the nasty pomeranian across the street
3- my neighbors "toy chi" that is atleast the same height or taller than Ino. When I told her Ino & her dog tried to kill each other through the fence (several times- so now Ino is not allowed in the yard off his tie out if she is home- I look for her car out front prior to letting him out) that is what she told me she has- it definately is not a toy or a chi- it is a nasty bastard (may be a shepherd chi mix??)that snarles at Ino from behind a poorly patched piece of the fence everytime it comes out (it is trained to only go out when it has to pee :rolleyes2: ) and Ino runs to the fence at that point ready to go. I've had to carry Ino's 80lb ass in the house a few times my first week here and after they broke one of the non-patched fence pickets, that was it. No more out when that lady is home till I get a new fence for that side of the yard!!! It also snarles at me and gnaws the fence where it is patched when I walk by even when Ino is not out there- just not a socialized dog at all.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » September 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm

From vet tech experience, my top ten... (and I've done all the sports and training out there)

1.) red bone hound, bit me in the face as a baby while I was crawling by. No warning per parents, she was placed with grampa, and put away when kids came over.
2.)White German Shepherd, even with sedation and a muzzle, got me with his front teeth and didnt let go. Took a chunk with him. Another german Shepherd, crunched my hand so bad during a nail trim, had to have xrays on my wrist.
3.) Scotty and airdale (sp? long day for me) while grooming and handling, just not manageable dogs at all, and if they weren't muzzled, it wouldn't have been pretty! Two different owners.
4.) cocker spaniels
5.)chow chows and shar pei, hate grooming them and hate working with them in general. Only met one nice one (when it comes to the vet)
6.) Golden retreiver, we have some pretty bad lines going around up here in Maine, back yard breeders or what not, but one got me good, for cleaning ears. Was a nervous dog to begin with. Another golden bit the owner, and neighbor while breaking up a dog fight at a local beach. Subtly settled under the table, no reports. The setter on the other side had 42 stitches and the weekend at the vet.
7.) Chesapeak Bay Retriever, bit anyone other than his mama, and even her sometimes. Long term client.
8.) My current client with Samoyed/mix, has been biting since she rescued him from a kill shelter in AR, over resources and fear aggression. If he werent' in training now, he'd be dead. Luckily she lives alone, and he is muzzled everywhere he goes.
9.) Min pins and chihuahuas, have been bitten by them on countless occasions
10.) Cattle dog, witnessed the 'scalping' of the owners step child at an aco response. Just awful.
11.) English Pointer, bit my bro in the face at hunting camp. Was Gr Ch field trial dog so the owner wasn't very simpathetic, and he over came his experience to train his own two dogs, setter and lab x, now for hunting. But he learned a harsh lesson about a dogs personal space.

Again, not breeds specifically, all are individual cases but they leave a bad taste in your mouth. I don't discriminate regardless. Luckily I can tell now just by the owner what i'm gonna get for a dog in the exam room.

Ironically enough, most of the clients we have with 'black list' dogs, take extra percautions to keep them out of trouble. They seem to be some of our best clients. I guess we are lucky to have pro active clients. Always exceptions to the rules however. And yes I have two pit bulls, but a boxer too and a fetish for any zesty personality dogs (JRTs, Cairns, Patterdales, any mongrel that looks like benji). I can appreciate a real dog, its people who need better education before getting a dog in general. I don't blame any of these dogs in my history, I blame the owners (even my parents) for encouraging behaviors or putting in the wrong scenarios.

I see these goldens that are too much for someone and think, what potential! I see these zesty Cairns biting their owners for nail trims and think, 'can't wait for terrier races!' These clients don't see it. What the dogs were bred to do in the first place, or the requirements of having and 'animal' in your home. Not another human.

If I see a beagle come in (or any other setter, spaniel, retreiver)(Northern Maine) I am excited and ask, do you hunt? I get replies like, 'how awful! I would never crate him or hunt him' 'thats cruel' mean while the dog is off galavanting in the neighborhood loose, or barking the neighbors crazy.

Sigh...this is only my personal list. Again, not the dogs most of the time, the owners.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » September 24th, 2010, 10:51 pm

1. My worst bite was the crazy St. Bernard that chewed on my arm for no reason. Three nights in the ER.

2. Next was a Beagle named Princess who bit me on the face when I went to bring her up to her owner after hr spay. Stitchs inside my nose. Joy.

3. Cockapoo named Lucy who bit me during a nail trim on the finger.

4. Neighborhood GSD who bit me in the ass I was running through his back yard in the 70's. I got no sympathy from my mom, "Well, why the hell were you running through his yard?!?"

At work I tend to be cautious around all little dogs, Chows, St Bernards (now), Cattle Dogs and I used to be leery of Dobies but I think they ruined the breed in the 70's and 80's when they were getting all the bad press and now they're all pussies. It's th fear biters that are fine when you are in their kennel but then try to bite your calf when you try to leave that piss me off! :cuss:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » September 24th, 2010, 11:42 pm

My top ten?

1 - 5. small dogs, most any breed. I can't read them well, I don't get their body language, as a group they tend to be indulged by their owners and people are expected to put up with their crap. If it's not cute if Riggs does it, it's not cute when your little rat does it, and that goes for barking, snarling, nipping, jumping or anything else. Get that thing the hell away from me and my dogs.

6-10. the rest of them. lol

I teach (well, taught) a brats class, and get calls to evaluate problem dogs. I get in front of problem dogs on purpose, so I'm kind of biased. Really though, the people who come to me are the ones who want help, so they are the ones who usually listen so that's a good thing. I have seen a few downright frightening mastiffs come to think of it though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » September 25th, 2010, 3:04 pm

My mom's Chi's bit me constantly. Oh & my best friend's Chi bit me the other day 8)

A GSD bit me but it was my fault, I was told not to run and I did

A Dachschund tried to kill me and I was not trying to pick him up. I just came in the house, sat down & he came flying at me & attached himself to my knee and tried to chew his way up.He also bit his owner twice that day. I had known this dog for years and it turns out he had cancer
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby juniper8204 » October 8th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Don't have a top ten, but I did get my hand chewed up by a Great Dane when I was younger. And the most vicious dog that wasn't in the shelter I work at was an Austrailian Shepherd. That dog belongs to my husband's ex.

In the shelter, the worst dogs have been:

Chihuahuas--most of them
Doberman
Dachshunds
we have a nasty Dane there now who would rip your face off if it wasn't for the bars
GSD mix
a little shih tzu mix
and nothing comes close to the feral cats...they're like ninjas who will climb you like a tree before you even know what is going on!
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » October 8th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I worked at a vet clinic when i was 15 and the one dog i had real trouble with was a Chow Chow.

She boarded with 2 other dogs and i had to make sure she followed one of the others when i switched them from an inside kennel to an outdoor run otherwise she would flip out but as long as i made sure one of the others was with her she was fine. i always made sure to keep my distance and keep a kennel door in between me and her as much as possible.

I can't think of any other times where i was actually afraid of a dog there or even came close to being bitten.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby plebayo » October 11th, 2010, 8:29 pm

juniper8204 wrote:and nothing comes close to the feral cats...they're like ninjas who will climb you like a tree before you even know what is going on!

So freakin' true. We have a vet clinic here locally called "All About Cats" I want to open up an "All About Dogs" I would be happy if I never had to deal with another nasty cat again!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Rolex+Deebo » October 13th, 2010, 10:15 pm

1 - 5. small dogs, most any breed. I can't read them well, I don't get their body language, as a group they tend to be indulged by their owners and people are expected to put up with their crap. If it's not cute if Riggs does it, it's not cute when your little rat does it, and that goes for barking, snarling, nipping, jumping or anything else. Get that thing the hell away from me and my dogs.

:hysterical: Oh yes, That's exactly how I feel. lol

and nothing comes close to the feral cats...they're like ninjas who will climb you like a tree before you even know what is going on!

LMAO, I got bit on my thy, hip, elbow, and hand, in about 2 seconds. The efin ninja didn't wanna go back in the crate. :|

AS for my list:
1) Labs- Worked at a Lab kennel. One of the borders would stay for one week a year. By the time he left he
had no hair or skin left on the entire top half of his head and snout. When ever you got near the
crate he would go nuts, and attack. We had to let him out using a stick to open the crate from a
distance, and even then he managed to get me a couple of times. But I was lucky, usually just a
scratch, and torn clothing. I think he had a bunch of nuts loose though. Then a good 20% of them
were fear biters. And the rest were just plain mentally challenged. There were a few good ones,
but do to the lack of exercise, they too eventually lost their marbles. :crazy2:

2) JRT- I have 2 friends that own them, and have met a bunch of them. They seem to like to run up barking
and wagging their tail, then intensely smell me, and then for no good reason(that I can see)
attach them selves to my pant leg, or my ankle, or once my arm (the little bastards can jump!)
I have yet to meet one that didnt give me the feeling that it might, at any min. attach its self to
my nose. LOL

3) Shiba Inu- yet to meet a friendly one, had one in class, and almost got bit like 3 times. Each time it was
when I was walking away, got my finger a little once. Wasn't really fearful, just reserved, till you
turned around. lol

4) Husky- I have had to throw out many peaces of clothing because they ripped it. Met lots of sweet ones,
but the bad ones are just a-holes.

5) GSD- have met quite a few that I wouldn't get within 50 ft of. And we used to have one, he was great.
As long as he knew you. :D

6) And any .......poo, crap..a ......, or cock.. a.... dog. And just any small/mini/teacup/toy dogs. Just not
a fan. Got bit too many times to recall. The worst was a cockapoo, the bastard bit right
through the spot between your thumb and finger, and wouldn't let go. He ended up learning to
fly. :dance:
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby fenella » October 23rd, 2010, 9:57 am

1. Chihuahuas (most of them)
2. Cocker spaniels
3. JRT
4. GSD's, not all of them, of course, but I've been chewed on by 1 before his owner pulled him off. I think he wasn't too serious, or I'd have been much worse off. Met another of questionable breeding that was very snappy and growly.
5. Rotties. I have met tons of nice ones, but the 2 I've met who were not nice were downright scary. In one instance, my friend's roommate had a rot that wouldn't let me in the house. He would block the doorway and give a low growl. When staying there one night (told the dog was safely crated and behind a bedroom door) he busted out when I went to the bathroom and I barely got the door shut with him snapping at me. Later, she told me he "has only bitten 2 or 3 people" :sad2:
6. Alaskan Malamute (again, not a lot of experience with them, but was bitten by one as a child)
7-10 various little yappy cocka-poo-shih-york things.

The GSD and Rottie made the list because of my personal experiences, but I do know many more fabulous ones than nasty ones. It was just that when they were bad, they were really bad.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk