First skunk encounter.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby plebayo » August 26th, 2010, 4:47 pm

LiLo was recently sprayed in the face... the skunk was young so luckily it only got her face.

Honestly the best thing you can do, if you can do it right away is pour tomato juice/paste on them and let it sit for 24hrs. The acid in the tomato cuts the oils.

I wasn't home when my dog got skunked and my parents didn't do anything with her other than leave her outside. No matter what skunk shampoos I used she still smelled for several weeks. Whenever they get wet the smell will come back again.

It was horrible with Lilo because every time she got a drink she'd stink up my room because it would get her face wet.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » August 26th, 2010, 6:24 pm

plebayo wrote:
It was horrible with Lilo because every time she got a drink she'd stink up my room because it would get her face wet.

8) Again, funny because it's not my dog.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitsnok » August 27th, 2010, 12:25 am

Joyce it smells like really strong burned rubber. That's the best way I can explain it.

PS, Degan has earned the name 'skunk boy', because his face still smells slightly. Luckily my hands are back to normal, baha.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 27th, 2010, 6:46 am

Burned rubber...I dislike when a big truck has their brakes on and that smell waifs through the air. :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » August 27th, 2010, 8:26 am

pitsnok wrote:Joyce it smells like really strong burned rubber. That's the best way I can explain it.

PS, Degan has earned the name 'skunk boy', because his face still smells slightly. Luckily my hands are back to normal, baha.

That's the best description, it definitely smells different on their fur vs in the air that's for sure!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » August 27th, 2010, 9:39 am

That's the best description, it definitely smells different on their fur vs in the air that's for sure!

Definitely! I smell them driving down the highway and I know what it is immediately; when one sprayed stuff in our yard, I wasn't entirely sure that was it, and the more I smelled it, the less sure I was, and I was afraid it might be a small brush pile we had, or some bags of leaves waiting to be composted...or the compost itself! yuck!...and then I was convinced it was surely something we'd done inadvertently and that we'd be shunned in the neighborhood as those people with the dirty stinky yard. :oops:

I hate skunks.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 27th, 2010, 11:47 am

I was talking to the Vet tech today about skunks. He knows a lot about...um..."exotic' animals. :wink:

He said tomatoe juice is the way to go. Also said that in Florida people OWN them as pets and get them de-skunked (or whatever he called it). AND people show skunks, as in Dog/Cat type shows. 8)

Is this true, Floridians???
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitsnok » August 27th, 2010, 1:00 pm

I am no Floridian but I have known people here who have skunks as pets. You can get them de-scented, just like a ferret but they still stink.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » September 2nd, 2010, 4:03 pm

Tomato anything is a waste. The reason tomato sauce kind of works is due to vinegar. So get serious.

Get a couple gallons of white vinegar and a big tupperware storage tubs from Wal-Mart to use as an outdoor bathtub. Work the vinegar into the dogs coat and rinse with warm water. Repeat the process until the smell is gone or until you are sick of being close to the smelly dog. Don't get any vinegar in the dogs eyes.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby HappyChick » September 2nd, 2010, 4:23 pm

I kinda like the smell of fresh skunk. It's very pungent like uber strong garlic. It's the ones that have been dead on the road for days that gross me out. :puke:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm

HappyChick wrote:I kinda like the smell of fresh skunk.

And that is just wrong, Sweetheart.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » September 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
HappyChick wrote:I kinda like the smell of fresh skunk.

And that is just wrong, Sweetheart.

It may be wrong for most folks, but it's so right for me. :D (sounds like a country and western song!)

Besides, you don't know, you might like it too......
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » September 3rd, 2010, 9:34 am

HappyChick wrote:It may be wrong for most folks, but it's so right for me. :D (sounds like a country and western song!)
Besides, you don't know, you might like it too......

Well, I DO love the smell of horse manure. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk