Need some good thoughts for this boy tomorrow, please!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 26th, 2010, 9:42 am

So when is your re scheduled visit Christine?
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 26th, 2010, 5:38 pm

It was supposed to be this morning - they canceled, again. :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 26th, 2010, 5:45 pm

I hate it when people ask for help but then don't accept it when it's offered. I'm sorry they're wasting your time and that poor dog has to suffer for their laziness. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyChick » July 26th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Maybe they think if they show up at the Vet, they will somehow get stuck with the bill. Can you go get the dog, take it to the vet, and then (I suppose you have to) return it to them?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » July 27th, 2010, 2:27 am

what about reporting them to AC for cruelty? Then at least the dog would get medical attention and be away from them :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 27th, 2010, 9:09 am

:mad2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby PetieMarie22 » July 27th, 2010, 9:12 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I hate it when people ask for help but then don't accept it when it's offered. I'm sorry they're wasting your time and that poor dog has to suffer for their laziness.

Agreed. :(
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 27th, 2010, 10:39 pm

HappyChick wrote:Maybe they think if they show up at the Vet, they will somehow get stuck with the bill. Can you go get the dog, take it to the vet, and then (I suppose you have to) return it to them?

No, my vet already told them that his bill(s) will be covered by me - I gave her as a reference, so these people would believe that I'm not some weird crackpot.
I have no contact info other than the CL e-mail addy, and they wouldn't even leave a phone# w/my vets office.

Still working on it though.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2010, 2:42 am

hmm, you sure its not a scam?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby HappyChick » July 28th, 2010, 9:29 am

Christine - their ad says they will send pictures. Did you get pictures of the dog?
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2010, 1:21 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG. :sad2: :cry: :(

I finally met him this morning, and I have NEVER seen a dog in the shape he's in... ever.
I think even my vet was shocked, and she has seen dogs in bad shape. I can't even explain the way he *walks*... it's unreal.
She did a quick exam while I was there... broken and badly healed pelvis, front leg broken in two places and healed crookedly, both back legs broken and healed badly, knee cap on one leg is in the opposite place of where it should be, nails are so overgrown that they are bend over his paw pads, and he had so many fleas that he looked like he had black spots in places (he's white and brown)... not neutered, never vaccinated.
My vet says he's fairly young... maybe between 1-2 years old.
The current "owners" have had him since November of last year, and never took him to a vet... I had such a hard time being civil and, I think, so did the rest of the staff.

Anyway... the owners don't want him back, so he's registered under my name at the vet. I left him there for a full workup, x-rays, a bath, possible pain meds... everything he needs immediately. They will call me later on this afternoon, and I will go back up so we can discuss his options.

He is an absolute sweetheart... he let them prod and poke, and bend his legs, check his ears... tail was going 50 miles a minute. This just really breaks my heart - my vet already told me that he will be in severe pain once arthritis sets in in the future (a given w/his condition), and I'm very torn about what to do.
I am going to ask her opinion about his quality of life in his current state, and probably go from there... I do know that this boy is most likely not a candidate for adoption, so he would have to stay w/me... and I don't know if I can handle two sick dogs PLUS the three other ones I have already.
Bee will be getting spayed next week and then she can go to a new home - any takers???

GAWD, I hate people.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 28th, 2010, 1:37 pm

:(
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Crap... he has heartworms, and a pretty bad case of it.
Vet just called me, and she didn't sound very encouraging. They are doing x-rays right now, and she'll call me back.
I don't have a good feeling about this.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » July 28th, 2010, 2:17 pm

That is horrifying that they have allowed him to suffer for the almost a year time period that they had him. :cuss: They should be charged with animal cruelty of some sort because if nothing else (even if they were not the ones who beat him), they definately neglected his medical needs. It sounds like most of his problems were repairable if he got the medical help he needed- there is no excuse for them waiting almost a year to ask for assistance. If he needed help and they could not afford it, they should have found someone who could when they first took him in. They did him no favors by taking him in and allowing him to continue to suffer. It saddens me to think that they have other dogs as well- some people should not have animals. I hope for the best outcome for him, whatever that may be. It is so sad that majority of his life has been so painful- I am glad you stepped in to help him. Even if hard choices end up having to be made, atleast right now he is receiving love, affection, and medical care. :goodthoughts: heading his way.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Yeah, well... I hope there's a special place in hell reserved for people like this.
We have no contact info on the owners - they would not even give us a phone #, and it was one of the *conditions* they insisted on, in order to bring the dog to my vet in the first place.
Even this morning we got conflicting stories, and my vet wasn't buying any of them... she told me on the phone that "those effing bastards know EXACTLY what happened to this poor dog". :mad2:

I bought an extra crate yesterday.... and some toys. :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » July 28th, 2010, 2:57 pm

I guess by setting those conditions, they knew they had to cover their asses- so they knew they were doing the wrong thing!! Atleast the most important part is that the dog is finally receiving the care it needed long ago! People like that are the reason I could never go into the veterinary field. I saw enough horrifying stuff when I worked at a pet store- some people are just plain evil!! You did what you needed to do as far as not going off on them- which must have been more than difficult- in order to help this poor boy!! That is commendable!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 28th, 2010, 3:00 pm

He's about 2? That means that he's got 10 years of life ahead... and with that much medical damage even with the most loving careing owner on the planet it's going to be a painful life...

I don't envy what you're going to be dealing with soon...

You are an amazing woman.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » July 28th, 2010, 3:18 pm

I feel like I'm going to be sick.
Between What I do for a living, day in and day out and THIS stuff ....... :nono: :nono:

But Christine, it's the people like you . Our folk s here on the board, the rescues, the angels that take in the borken babies......they make it all worthwhile.......
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Pit♥bull » July 28th, 2010, 3:38 pm

mnp13 wrote:You are an amazing woman.
That's amazincc :)

Christine, You are an angel to that poor baby Even if the outcome isn't positive at least he will have some LOVE to send him on his way. :cry2:

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 28th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I am going to get him right now... I'll explain later! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk