Need some good thoughts for this boy tomorrow, please!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby call2arms » August 3rd, 2010, 11:37 pm

He looks darn happy, I think that if he was uncomfortable, he would at least show it in some positions, either by tensing up, facial expression, yelping, or avoidance. It can be hard to tell at first, but with time, you may be able to see more which patterns/reactions he has to some movements.

My personal toughts on this: some people are able to manage (to a certain point) old and very arthritic dogs, heavily dysplasic dogs, or animals that have had naturally healed (and not always in a good position) fractures... They use meds, and supplements... So I don't think that keeping him going, if he does seems comfortable without any meds, is any worse.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amazincc » August 4th, 2010, 1:11 am

Well... I know that we don't all agree w/my decision, and I completely understand that. Nothing was posted that I didn't think about, or took into consideration, myself already.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that Luka is uncomfortable or in pain at this time, but I have no illusions about his condition. I KNOW he is not getting better. :sad2:
I do add some supplements to his food (glucosamine, salmon oil, etc.), also some holistic stuff for the heart worms - but when he starts showing symptoms of pain and discomfort I'm not going to drag him along on pain meds.
My vet is going to assess him every two weeks, and I'm watching him very closely in the meantime.

We do some stretching exercises with the back legs and he seems to really enjoy s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out, especially at night in his crate. He usually sleeps on his back and he looks very relaxed.
His energy level is lower, of course, but he can go at his own pace and rest as often and as much as he wants to - or not. lol
I'm getting used to that funny little hop-running he does, and I don't cringe every time he barrels up and down the steps anymore... I figure he knows his own limits better than I do.
He tries like hell to keep up w/Sepp and Faust, and they are surprisingly careful w/him - he hasn't been bulldozed down yet, and they wrestle around him but not with him. They bring the Wubba and throw it at his feet, which he enjoys immensely... especially the squeaker part. :rolleyes2: :giggle:

So, despite his funny appearance he's first and foremost finally being a DOG - and he manages day-to-day life much, much better than I thought possible. Dogs don't "fake" joy or happiness, and when I watch Luka I get a sense of him being completely at peace w/his situation for now.

When that changes - I'll be his advocate all the way to the end.

I don't know what else to say except that I know that everyone here has his best interest at heart as much as I do, even if we don't exactly agree on what that is.
I hope you guys can try and understand my intentions of just letting this little "flip-flopper" (thanks, Bob :wink: ) be all the dog he wants to be, for as long as he chooses to.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2010, 1:15 am

If I ever come back as an adorable pittie can I come live at your house??? :p :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » August 4th, 2010, 1:22 am

plebayo wrote:If I ever come back as an adorable pittie can I come live at your house??? :p :hug3:

I'm going to have to insist on you being neutered though... Faust is EXTREMELY (and almost embarrassingly so) fascinated by Lukas boy parts. I can't even begin to count how many times Luka has been the victim of a drive-by goosing since last Wednesday. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2010, 1:25 am

amazincc wrote:
plebayo wrote:If I ever come back as an adorable pittie can I come live at your house??? :p :hug3:

I'm going to have to insist on you being neutered though... Faust is EXTREMELY (and almost embarrassingly so) fascinated by Lukas boy parts. I can't even begin to count how many times Luka has been the victim of a drive-by goosing since last Wednesday. lol

I am totally fine with that! And I'll keep my injuries/problems to a minimum... it could be something simple like food allergies or something :p

Maybe it's Faust reminding him that just 'cause he's got two tumors between his legs doesn't mean he's in charge :p I think that's pretty great "Dude, what.... are... those???"
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » August 4th, 2010, 2:28 am

food allergies, simple?! I hope I read sarcasm! :nono:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BullyLady » August 4th, 2010, 3:37 am

Malli wrote:food allergies, simple?! I hope I read sarcasm! :nono:

My feelings exactly...... lol. Tell my bank account they are simple, SIMPLY MONEY! :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby plebayo » August 4th, 2010, 4:02 am

BullyLady wrote:
Malli wrote:food allergies, simple?! I hope I read sarcasm! :nono:

My feelings exactly...... lol. Tell my bank account they are simple, SIMPLY MONEY! :giggle:

LOL yes, very much sarcastic. My cat is allergic to everything food wise so I know how complicated it really is 8)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » August 4th, 2010, 7:23 am

amazincc wrote:I hope you guys can try and understand my intentions of just letting this little "flip-flopper" (thanks, Bob :wink: ) be all the dog he wants to be, for as long as he chooses to.

:)
He will tell ya when he's not 'happy' and you will spot it right off the bat.
Thanks for caring enough to give him a fair shot at happiness. :) :) :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » August 4th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Read this whole thread and WOW. I, like so many others, fully support what you are doing. You will know when enough is enough, but until that time, live it up! I agree that dragging it out when his quality of life begins to decline would be a poor choice, but I don't believe you would do that. He looks so much like Toby out of the face I couldn't up but tear up again looking at the pictures. I look at Toby and wonder how some people can be so cruel and neglectful.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby turtle » August 7th, 2010, 4:24 pm

amazincc wrote:So, despite his funny appearance he's first and foremost finally being a DOG - and he manages day-to-day life much, much better than I thought possible. Dogs don't "fake" joy or happiness, and when I watch Luka I get a sense of him being completely at peace w/his situation for now.

We could learn a lot from dogs... They live in the moment and do not worry about yesterday and tomorrow.

Looking at the photos, he is a happy dog enjoying life. He's probably never had it so good before.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby PetieMarie22 » August 9th, 2010, 10:33 am

turtle wrote:
amazincc wrote:So, despite his funny appearance he's first and foremost finally being a DOG - and he manages day-to-day life much, much better than I thought possible. Dogs don't "fake" joy or happiness, and when I watch Luka I get a sense of him being completely at peace w/his situation for now.

We could learn a lot from dogs... They live in the moment and do not worry about yesterday and tomorrow.

Looking at the photos, he is a happy dog enjoying life. He's probably never had it so good before.

I love that statement as well! :)
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk