Long Time No Talk!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Tubular Toby » June 30th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Hello most influential friends (it's true, I still reference things I learn here ALL the time.),
Some of you may remember Toby! For awhile we struggled with leash aggression. Thanks to the "Look at That" game, he's gotten MUCH better and lately things have been rather smooth sailing. He is very well behaved and a decent breed ambassador. He's certainly not perfect and makes mistakes sometimes, but I would not trade this dog for anything. In fact, I have learned that it's not Toby making mistakes, but me. I sometimes set him up for failure. =( I try hard to be a good trainer though. =)

I recently moved in with a roommate (two actually, but on is only here on the weekends) and my roommate wanted a puppy. I was hesitant. Toby hasn't played with another dog in over a year, and I was worried since his leash aggression was such an issue. She found a puppy at the Humane Society that she wanted (12 week old female, Lab x Weimaraner) so I took him over there to meet her. He did just fine with her so my roommate brought her home a few days later.

We had a friend/positive trainer stop by for a visit a few days later to watch the dogs and help us with any potential issues / how to manage a multi dog home. She was really impressed at just how good Toby's social skills were and how gentle he was with Tilly, the puppy. My roommate is doing an excellent job at getting Toby to respond her and when she trains Tilly on her basic commands, she works with Toby too. He is going to be really solidly trained! haha, it's a lot of fun watching Toby play with another dog! He sometimes gets too excited and smashes her, but we typically try to let them work it out for themselves. The only time we intervene is when Tilly is telling Toby to leave her alone but he still keeps trying to play with her (usually he backs off when she yells, but sometimes he just gets too excited and keeps trying to play). So far neither have shown any signs of possessiveness with toys and equally share back and forth. We are going to start feeding them in the same room to help avoid any future issues.

In not so great news, Toby picked up kennel cough from somewhere (most likely the Humane Society visit) so he is antibiotics just in case and an antihistamine. Tilly has an appointment in a day or two to get checked up.

Anyway, that is the update on us! I'm going to try to be a little regular on here, but I tend to go in phases. haha, Nice seeing you all!

Kristen & Toby
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » June 30th, 2010, 3:50 pm

:wave2: Glad ya'll are doing well!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » June 30th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Welcome back! :wave2: You just can't go wrong with a Labrador mixed with anything. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » June 30th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Yea for you and Toby! VERY proud of you for working with the LAT with Toby...:clap: and welcome back!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » June 30th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Hey! Welcome back :wave2: I have wondered where you had been.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Tubular Toby » June 30th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! =) I love this place.

Fed them about six feet apart today. Tilly gobbled up her food and went over to Toby's bowl and stuck her nose in it. He got up and went to her bowl. Unfortunately, she didn't offer anything up for trade and he went back and continued eating. My roommate got Tilly out of the way. It was pretty funny though. I always wondered what Toby would do eating with another dog around.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 30th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Welcome back! Can't wait to see some updated pics of Toby, as well as some of Miss Tilly! *hint hint*
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby furever_pit » July 2nd, 2010, 6:58 pm

Glad to hear that the two dogs are doing so well together so far.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk