I might need help.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Rolex+Deebo » April 4th, 2010, 10:26 am

OK, I cant deal with this right now! :confused:
LOL, well I just got a call from a couple that knows I used to do some rescue work with pit bulls, they found one running down the street, no tags no collar, and they cant care for her. Its Sun. so I cant even report her as "found". Does anyone know what I should do? I am just fried, brain wise. The only thing I could do is set up a crate in the basement of our un-finished house and stick her in there till Mon. and then IDK. I just feel bad locking her down there. So please any thoughts would be great. Or if you think you can take her even better, though I doubt anyone has the room. :|
so please let me know.
thank you
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » April 4th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Not a whole lot of options. You or the couple could hold her until tomorrow and then drop her off at Lollypop. They will then hold her for a few days until she settles in and then temperament test her to see if she is adoptable.

Rolex+Deebo wrote:OK, I cant deal with this right now! :confused:
LOL, well I just got a call from a couple that knows I used to do some rescue work with pit bulls, they found one running down the street, no tags no collar, and they cant care for her. Its Sun. so I cant even report her as "found". Does anyone know what I should do? I am just fried, brain wise. The only thing I could do is set up a crate in the basement of our un-finished house and stick her in there till Mon. and then IDK. I just feel bad locking her down there. So please any thoughts would be great. Or if you think you can take her even better, though I doubt anyone has the room. :|
so please let me know.
thank you
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Rolex+Deebo » April 4th, 2010, 4:07 pm

thats what I am thinking.
She is not fixed, looks like she might have had pups before, and ether just came out of a heat, or coming in to one. A little on the skinny side for me, but I like hippos, LOL
here are a couple of pics

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » April 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm

That's not terribly skinny! ;) Score looks that way after coming off a winter diet...he's more active now, and I've had to up his food. :rolleyes2:

She's very cute...how do you know she's not fixed?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » April 4th, 2010, 11:26 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:That's not terribly skinny! ;) Score looks that way after coming off a winter diet...he's more active now, and I've had to up his food. :rolleyes2:

I agree, she looks pretty healthy to me. :|

Is she marked up at all? If so, Lollipop is a death trap.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Rolex+Deebo » April 5th, 2010, 11:17 pm

No she's not VERY skinny, I just don't like when the spine protrudes and all. She has no marks no nothing. The only reason I am worried about taking her to Lollipop is she doesn't want that much human interaction. When I finally get her attention, and calm her down, she sits nice and likes getting lovin. Maybe I am just used to attention whores. LOL She seems to be potty trained, and knows sit. Besides that, no manners. I can put my hand in her food while she'd eating, when I try to push her away, she trys to shove her head in the bowl, so I have been working on that with her, she is doing better and better. Now when I push her head out of the way, she usually takes her head out and waits for me to offer her more. She has no leash manners, absolutely a nightmare to walk. I just feel horrible to take her to a 90% chance of death. She is sweet, I just don't think anyone gave her attention, so she doesn't ask for it.
But I cant take her to my house, she would most definitely eat my cats. And I feel bad for her being alone in a basement. She has all she needs, I am there 4X a day at least, and my BF takes her on car rides as much as possible, but I don't know. :?
What would you do? :|

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » April 5th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I can put my hand in her food while she'd eating, when I try to push her away, she trys to shove her head in the bowl, so I have been working on that with her, she is doing better and better. Now when I push her head out of the way, she usually takes her head out and waits for me to offer her more

Ummm...just be careful with pushing around a big dog that you don't know...I'd hate to see you get bitten for your troubles. :( Sorry, that made me cringe reading it...I don't want to see you get hurt!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby LMM » April 6th, 2010, 8:19 am

I wish I could help but we are slam full of adults. And Lollypop makes me nervous too, it doesn't take much for them to fail their temperament test there :(

Oh and she looks pretty healthy to me too.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2010, 8:46 am

Lollypop is definitely not the best thing for a pit, but for someone who doesn't have any other options, it is about the best thing you can do.

Unfortunately rescues are usually full, shelters are always full and there aren't too many people outside of those that are willing or able to take in a stray dog. In my humble opinion you need to do what is best for you.
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » April 6th, 2010, 9:59 am

maberi wrote:Unfortunately rescues are usually full, shelters are always full and there aren't too many people outside of those that are willing or able to take in a stray dog. In my humble opinion you need to do what is best for you.

Well said, Matt...

We all want to help them all...but there are just gonna be times that we have to do our best for that stray dog/cat/goat/rabbit/cow that we find...and that "best" isn't always the most ideal for that animal. :| :hug3:

I foster, I board, I have Service Dogs in training at my house at any given time...but it has to work for ME first and foremost. I've got too many dogs to have to crate/rotate full time, and I don't have tons of time to spend with dogs that aren't mine...so if I have a dog in the house...it has to be fairly easy to live with. If it's not easy to live with...it doesn't stay here. Simple as that. :neutral: Oreo is an easy foster, and she gets better each day...so she can stay. lol Other ones, have to leave sooner...and get put somewhere else because I just can't deal for some reason.

TheRedQueen

Postby Rolex+Deebo » April 7th, 2010, 8:29 am

Thank you guys, I understand. Today is my day off, so, is there a shelter within 2 hrs radius of Rochester that is nice to pits? I am willing to drive this girl, she is just a sweetheart, and IDK, I just feel bad. But living in my basement is not ideal for any dog, so I need to something. No one has called to claim her, should I wait till next Wed. to take her just to see if someone calims her by then?
I dont know what to do, just tell me. LOL :?
Thanks guys ♥

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Rolex+Deebo » April 7th, 2010, 12:22 pm

I put some new pics in "RESCUE" section. I am calling her Easter. :oops:

Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » April 7th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Rolex+Deebo wrote:Thank you guys, I understand. Today is my day off, so, is there a shelter within 2 hrs radius of Rochester that is nice to pits?

The Genesee County Animal shelter is http://www.vol4animals.org/ (and I volunteer there) :wink:

The only problem is I do not know what their policy is on taking in strays from outside the county. If you want to "sneak" her in I assume you could show up with her and tell them you found her wondering one of the streets in the area :|
maberi

Return to Pit Bull Talk