Why dogs should be seat-belted

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby tiva » February 17th, 2010, 12:57 pm

For chewers, crates work really well too.

I was surprised to learn yesterday that a regular premier "sure-fit" harness is safe for the car (as well as for walking, tracking, etc), if you buy the harness extender (scroll 1/3 down the page): http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=d ... lars/other

We seem to accumulate equipment, but the basic harness remains a useful tool: if you clip the leash to the front of the harness (on the chest of the dog), it acts like a sensible front-attachment harness, discouraging pulling by using the dog's weight to leverage her around to face you if she pulls. If you clip the leash to the back of the harness, then the dog gets to pull comfortably (good for tracking, light scootering, etc), and now it turns out you can use it for cars as well.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » February 18th, 2010, 7:08 pm

I have the same kind as Liz's and a different brand as well that I don't know off the top of my head.

Ruby rides belted in the front and has plenty of room to turn around and lay down.

10 years ago I was in a bad head on collision with Cleo in the car. She was in the front seat not belted, and ended up getting thrown into the dash board and when the airbag opened into her face it tore the surface off of the cornea of her right eye. When I get her out of the car, she was bleeding out of her ears and nose.

Even a low speed collision can send your dog through the windshield, someone here lost her dog two years ago.

The other thing to consider - your dog can kill you or other passengers in a crash. A friend from high school was in a wreck and a 15 pound cinder block that was in the back of her pickup came through the back window and hit her in the back of the head. She was in a coma for over a month, and is now brain damaged. Most of our dogs weigh well over 15 pounds.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » February 18th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Went and got the seat belt LIz/Jenifer have....yesterday at Petco!!
:dance:

Plus a HUGE bag of Potato/Duck Dog Kibble.... :wink:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » February 18th, 2010, 8:06 pm

:dance: went and got fleece to line Oscar's harness with so it doesn't chafe and I can use his seatbelt! Now just a bunch of hand sewing and cutting! :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Xarpolis » February 19th, 2010, 1:21 pm

That's almost the same Seat Belt that Baku uses. He doesn't mind it at all. In fact, he seems to like when I put it on him every morning and evening. Here's a picture of it that I'm taking right now in our office. It connects through the shoulder strap of the car via this metal clip thing.

My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby tiva » February 19th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Baku is gorgeous!
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » February 19th, 2010, 2:23 pm

:dance: I didn't procrastinate and now Oscar's harness (part of his seatbelt) is now fleece covered and hopefully won't chafe! I think it took me about 3 hours! :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Ino » February 19th, 2010, 7:13 pm

I am glad both of you came out of the accident unharmed!! I need to get one of those harnesses for Ino, especially since we will be driving from NY to FL sometime around June. The kitties will be riding in the small crate in the rear of the Jeep (most likely sedated since those 2 are horrible about being crated :rolleyes2: ) and Ino will be strapped in the back seat. As long as his lazy butt can lay down, he will be content!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » February 19th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Wow! How scary! I am glad that you both are okay.

I have always kinda doubted the car harnesses but this thread makes me think otherwise. I do keep crates in my car though, so I don't know how much I would actually use a harness.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 19th, 2010, 11:20 pm

I think as long as the dog is restrained, that's what matters. Just be mindful that crates can also become hazardous unless they're wedged in or strapped down somehow!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby fenella » February 21st, 2010, 10:00 pm

I just put crates in for my guys, but they were belted before that. I got these harnesses. They are REALLY heavy duty. The thing I like best about them is that in the event of an accident, there is no pressure on any plastic buckles. It's all on the heavy metal rings. (there is a plastic buckle between the rings to keep in close to the body, it just isn't part of the protection structure). I also like this type of extender better. I didn't have the best luck with customer service with them...they aren't really quick to get back to you. I did get everything I ordered...it just took longer than I expected.
Murphy is a bit of a contortionist, and he has gotten out of it when I didn't have it tight enough. Nittany has never gotten out of it.
http://www.champk-9.com/CH.htm
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk