Pit Boss

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jessie's_mom » January 17th, 2010, 12:02 am

Thoughts on the new show?

For those who don't know about the show, here's the link: http://animal.discovery.com/tv/pit-boss/
Last edited by Marinepits on January 17th, 2010, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add link
"To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood."-Emerson
Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » January 17th, 2010, 12:06 am

Personally, all the "little people' shows are beginning to seem a bit over the top.
That's just my opinion.

I only saw the advertisements for this show .....I groaned. Audibly.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » January 17th, 2010, 12:27 am

Not having watched any other "little people" shows... I watched it because of the dogs. :| :)

It was partly very funny, and parts of it were sad... like the visit to the shelter. :(
I do like the fact that he doesn't have tons of dogs stuck in kennels (which - frankly - disturbs me a little about the other show), and I especially like the fact that his own dogs were unruly at times... I can SO identify. lol

The blue Pittie boy was gorgeous... too bad his owner is an asshat... err.... breeder. :rolleyes2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SLS61185 » January 17th, 2010, 2:24 am

I just got done watching it. I've also watched a lot of the other little people shows. This guy was nothing like I expected. The part about the shelter was sad. The calendar shoot was funny... I'm sure I'll forget to keep watching it.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitsnok » January 17th, 2010, 2:59 am

I liked it personally. I agree with Christine, it was nice to see someone in the public's eye, whose dogs behave like mine do!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 17th, 2010, 9:48 am

ArtGypsy wrote:Personally, all the "little people' shows are beginning to seem a bit over the top.
That's just my opinion.

I only saw the advertisements for this show .....I groaned. Audibly.

I agree with Jody. Right now it seems little people shows and pit bull shows are The New Fad, so what could be better than putting both ideas together? :rolleyes2: I watched an extended preview of the show somewhere online and saw him literally go into someone's yard and just take a dog, then run away with it -- it may be the way the video was edited, but that just really rubbed me the wrong way. I won't be watching the series.

And I'm always concerned any time a breed gets popular with the general public. It never bodes well for the breed. :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » January 17th, 2010, 10:11 am

I liked some parts but I didn't like others. Made me cringe when he had to give the blue pittie back to that owner. I felt some of it was staged but that is just my own doubts about reality TV.

Jenn, next week he goes and repossess one of his own dogs that I believe he adopted out. That is what I understood from the previews but it looks very dangerous.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby CinderDee » January 18th, 2010, 2:43 am

I feel the same way as Missy. I liked some parts and others I didn't. I guess if he manages to get any kind of decent message out to the public about the breed and the proper way to care for a dog then it's a good thing.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby furever_pit » January 18th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Marinepits wrote:I agree with Jody. Right now it seems little people shows and pit bull shows are The New Fad, so what could be better than putting both ideas together? :rolleyes2: I watched an extended preview of the show somewhere online and saw him literally go into someone's yard and just take a dog, then run away with it -- it may be the way the video was edited, but that just really rubbed me the wrong way. I won't be watching the series.

And I'm always concerned any time a breed gets popular with the general public. It never bodes well for the breed. :neutral:

I saw that preview too! It really bothered me too.
I also wish that the bulldog/pit bull trend would just end already. Meanwhile, ABs seem to be getting more and more popular and I continue to see so many APBTs in the hands of idiots. It concerns me.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » January 18th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I think what concerned me most when I saw the preview is that they seem to be promoting Pit Bulls lately with ex-cons. While I agree that dogs can help rehabilitate people and not all people who do time will offend again- it seems to be becoming the theme for the Pit Bull rescue shows on Animal Planet. I have not seen the show yet and do not know if that is going to be a major theme in this show, however it keeps that association that Pits already seem to have "stereotypically" with cons/criminals. I think the Villalobos Rescue does great things and am not trying to bash that show at all, but I think having a second show where the promotion states he did time is a little much. The guy apparently had gotten mixed up with gang activity back in the day and did prison time, but does that really need to be on the preview for the show? Just show good things rescue's do and what is going on with them currently. It just bothers me, especially seeing all the Pit Bull's in NYC shelters because of the public housing ban- partially surrounding a large population's belief that a Pit Bull is a "thugs" or "criminals" dog. :| Just my thoughts on it. Not intending to offend anyone- I just wish the show was promoted differently.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby airwalk » January 18th, 2010, 11:46 pm

I've not seen the show and don't intend to. I am concerned about the continuing affiliation of Pit Bulls with felons. That affiliation is what got the breed into the position it's in now and I can't see this type of show improving things any.
airwalk
I live here

Postby RedChrome » January 21st, 2010, 11:36 am

I watched a bit of it but had to change the channel. The whole thing is....I just wish that people would quit trying to cash in for themselves off their APBTs. I mean come on, this breed doesn't need any more publicity, it needs out of the limelight.
Courtney
RedChrome
Just Whelped

Postby pitsnok » January 21st, 2010, 12:21 pm

You guys all bring a really good point- I hadn't even thought about the felon/pit bull connection yet. I guess it makes good tv though...which is kind of a bummer!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyChick » January 25th, 2010, 10:48 am

I watched Pit Boss Saturday night and saw a rerun of the first episode yesterday. I like it. I think Shorty is trying to get a good message out there - stop breeding more dogs that will end up in shelters and stop mistreating dogs. I also liked the fact that he went after Dominico and got him back. Shorty seems like a guy who really cares about the dogs he adopts out and also seems to be darn good at following up on those adoptions. He is probably doing what any good rescue does in that regard, but getting the information out there for potential adopters seems like a good idea to me.

That shelter was so sad, all those pitties there.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » January 25th, 2010, 7:33 pm

I just can't sit thru a whole episode without having to change channels or at least flip back and forth between another show (same for Pits..and Parolees) - ugh....... :( All of those associations with 'pit bulls' and tough guys/criminals is just reinforcing the image we're trying to get away from.... We need a 'pit bull' show with middle of the road people that have an everyday image - that would be the most 'helpful' type of show for un-demonizing these dogs! (if we 'need' any show at all...)
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 25th, 2010, 9:56 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:All of those associations with 'pit bulls' and tough guys/criminals is just reinforcing the image we're trying to get away from....

I still like the show, after watching the 2nd episode. :D
Their main focus is not on the past criminal history of any participants, and I LOVED the fact that they visited a nursing home.
I'm glad that Dominico got re-possessed. :)

I do want to slap Betty a few times for surrendering Steeler to a kill shelter. What a heartless ass she is. >(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Dan+Bec13 » January 25th, 2010, 10:08 pm

All I can say is that for being "actors" they are all pretty bad. I would say a good 90% of that show is set up, ecspecially when it came to the "fight" in the first episode.
Dan+Bec13
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk