problem....

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby delilahsmommy » December 13th, 2009, 10:59 pm

we live in apartment that has many dogs one of which i have had issues with while taking Delilah out and Bram had a major issue with it tonight when he took her out...
the dog is a american bulldog probly about 8 months old and a big big girl everytime she see Delilah she braks growls and lunges Delilah knows to not start anything so the first time she jumped on the other side of me away from the dog and she was fine but the dog was still pulling its owner a tiny girl probly 20..(maybe my age :P) i didnt have a problem then...some dogs get over excited
but tonight hubbs came back in and told me how the dog lunged at Delilah and he had to grab the dog and push it away the girl freaked out and said o no dont call the cops if my dog bites you i cant control her.....who has suggestions on how to handle it other than avoiding them outside
i already have a choke chain on Delilah cuz she likes to slip out of her collar to play even though she listens i want to have control of her for situations like this...my thoughts are that this girl should probly have her dog in a mussle if it is that bad... it needs some seriouse training or a really long hard run to tire it out.... :? i just wanted to hear ne suggestions....
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » December 13th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Is the dog truly aggressive or *just* showing bad manners?

Can you guys maybe work out a schedule on whom takes out their dog when, so you can all avoid each other?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby delilahsmommy » December 13th, 2009, 11:27 pm

well for the most part we dont run into the other dogs when we take Delilah out just twice now with this dog im always prepared to run into other dogs when we go out i have a 20ft leash for Delilah when she goes out but i only let her have a little when we are going out the door to keep her close and have control and from what Bram has said about the incident tonight i dont know if the girl knows her own dogs strength but if i do get the chance i can try to work something out with the owners i just dont want something to happen i know that Delilah sometimes has aggresion issues with other dogs but only when they get into her face before properly introduced i would start taking her out the front way but i know there are a few other dogs whos owners take them out that way also...but we live in an apt with a shared hall way so i always check for people and dogs before we go out we have the few people who come in while we are going out and im proud to say Delilah has stopped her happy jumping with strangers exp when they walk in our door but she is doing alot better i know i have posted on here previously about her jumping up
a few days ago when i took her out she was on her leash and there was a huge and i mean huge!!!!! dog outside unattended unleashed and she slipped oout of her collar and they had fun running in the snow but after that i started using her choak chain agian the owner was getting something out of her car but for the most part i am happy to say other than this one dog all the other dogs seem very very well behaved and the owners handle them well some dont wear leashes which i frown on since you never know how another dog will react but i do my best to make sure we are the only ones outside so she can have time to go potty and not be distracted
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » December 14th, 2009, 12:33 am

If you know where she lives, you might try just talking with her about the various options there are that will give her better control. It can't be any fun for the girl to walk the dog always worried that she can't handle it and being pulled on, so she may be open to hearing about the various harnesses and things that may help her handle the dog better - which in the end will be safer for you guys too!
airwalk
I live here

Postby delilahsmommy » December 14th, 2009, 12:40 am

i dont know what apartment she lives in but i would like to help her if i could it cant be fun having no control and being worried about people looking on badly at you...been there done that ...im just looking for suggestions thanks everyone
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 14th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I would start with getting Delilah a correctly fitted wide flat buckle collar - wide collars are much harder to slip than narrow ones - or get a buckle martingale collar, you will probably have to get a custom one made, but it's worth it. Choke chains are not fair to the dog, all she's going to do is gag and choke all the time if she's not under control and walking correctly - and that's not good for her and could cause her physical harm.

Please also get rid of the 20 foot leash. With that many dogs around you can never tell when one is going to come flying up to your dog, and with her 20 feet away from you, you won't have a chance of getting to her (or her to you) in time to stop an altercation. That's definitely a cause for concern - because of other people not being responsible.

As for the other dog, muzzles usually make dogs like that worse, not better. I would avoid that dog and owner at all costs, because when (not if) a fight starts it is going to be very very ugly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ArtGypsy » December 14th, 2009, 3:24 pm

:goodStuff:

yes......and like others have said, WORK WITH this other girl...swap phone numbers if you have to. Tell her when you're taking your dog out and vice versa............like Michelle stated, WHEN this altercation happens, everybody's in trouble....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I agree... a martingale would be a great choice. They are just about impossible to slip. :)
As for long leads... those are okay, as long as you are in an area where there are no other dogs around, to give Delilah some "freedom" while still being in control of her - but for walking around when there are a lot of other dogs present, I would definitely keep her on a regular leash, for her own safety. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby delilahsmommy » December 14th, 2009, 11:04 pm

thanks for all the input!!! havent seen the girl yet...and couldnt tell if it was her if i did unless she had the dog with her....i notice dogs more than people....but for the most part i do make sure other dogs are not around and it is atleast 50 ft to the door so i have time to wind Delilah back up as for the collar i will start looking into one but wont get one until after xmas probly...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 15th, 2009, 12:05 am

delilahsmommy wrote:but for the most part i do make sure other dogs are not around and it is atleast 50 ft to the door so i have time to wind Delilah back up

delilahsmommy wrote:i know that Delilah sometimes has aggresion issues with other dogs but only when they get into her face

Please get rid of the long line. There is no way that you can possibly reel in your dog faster than another dog can run up to her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Pit Bull Talk