Tess' Spay

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:48 am

Tess is at the vets for her spay right now. I took her in, and then had to wait 40 minutes because the vet already started her first spay rather than waiting until 8:00 like they said so Tess could be first.

While waiting, the receptionist made a pit bull locking jaws comment. :rolleyes2: I told her they do not have locking jaws, and she kind of dismissed me.

I went to this vet because she was $150 cheaper than my vet. I will be happy to get back to my vet. They are far nicer, more knowledgeable, and are more accomidating at my normal vet's office.

I put the muzzle on Tess myself, and held her while they gave her the shot. I have worked so hard on her fear issues, I did not want her to go backwards because a bunch of strangers manhandled her (I know they wouldn't hurt her, but she doesn't know that.)

Now I am worried that all will go well. She is still really swollen from her heat cycle a month ago. A friend thought she might be going through a false pregnancy, as she had no opportunity to get bred. I didn't want to wait any longer, I waited too long as it was.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will go well. I can pick her up at 3:00, which was the other reason I took her to this vet. My vet keeps them overnight.

Hopefully their vet will be better than their receptionist!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 15th, 2006, 10:51 am

I find it odd that the vet started a surgery procedure prior to all of the surgeries being checked in. The way we did it at all three of the hospitals I worked at was drop off was in the morning, surgeries began an hour or two after drop off. Strange.

$150 is a HUGE difference. That's like Wally's vet vs the others around. They are insanely expensive for spays and neuters . . . which I will never understand . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:58 am

They started right at 8, and it took me 5 minutes to check in because they had my paperwork wrong, and I had to re-give all my info.

150 bucks IS a big difference. But I now see that while my vet is expensive, it is worth it. I should have paid the extra and stayed where I was comfortable.

Oh well. I will try to stay busy, or at least occupied on here, until noon when I can call.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 15th, 2006, 11:08 am

Even if their front desk isn't run efficiently it doesn't mean that the surgeries aren't done well, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

Just slap the receptionist across the face when you go to pick up. Being a former veterinary receptionist myself I know I'd slap her just for being so stupid.

Tess will be just fine, I'm sure of it :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » May 15th, 2006, 11:09 am

If another vet was $150.00 cheaper than our own vet, they'd owe us $$$ for a refund!!! :o
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Well, I called, they said everything went well and I can come get her soon. The new turkeys are in her car crate, so she will have to ride on my son's lap, hopefully she will behave herself!

:D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 15th, 2006, 3:07 pm

She'll probably still be out of it. Glad it went well! Give her lots of hugs and kisses from Inara and I!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » May 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Glad she is done & doing well!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 4:06 pm

She is home and doing fine. She is lying at my sons feet, and her brother is right with her (guess he is worried about her.)

They said to bring her back in 10 days to get the stiches out, but I think I will just pull them myself. I know what an infection looks like, so I am not really worried.

The good news is that she was friendly to everyone there, and the kennel worker went and talked to her and she just sat and wagged her tail (used to be a big trigger for her). I told them that I probably underestimate the progress she has made in the last 8 months, but I would rather be safe than sorry. (I had them put a caution sign on her kennel.)

So, we all survived! Thanks for the moral support!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby turtle » May 15th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Oh, that's great she is doing fine! I always worry when I have a dog spayed. My current dog also came thru just fine and had no problems. But we gave her water too soon which made her puke all over!

And then you get the fun of trying to keep her quiet until the stitches come out! Mine wanted to run and play the next day. I also was going to take out her stitches but my dog turned into a wiggling worm. I've taken out plenty of stitches but this time I took her back to the vet whom she just loves and they had them out in a minute.

Glad Tess was good at the vet's too. I had a shy dog who did not like strangers and it was tricky to take her to the vets. She got to know one vet and one assistant and they could do anything to her but she did not want to know the others!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 15th, 2006, 5:05 pm

excellent news! i am so glad everything went well.!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 15th, 2006, 5:12 pm

I'm glad things went smoothly!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Asta » May 15th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Great news :) !

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Do vets normally give pain meds for spays? Tess is so sore she won't eat, she barely will go out to pee. Of course she is in pain, but she won't even take asprin in a bit of hot dog. I just am worried. They also did not give any antibiotics. They actually didn't even give me any post op instructions, other than don't let her rough house for a couple of days.

Basically I just let her out to pee, she came in a drank some water and went right back to her crate.

I am so glad this is not my normal vet. I am really starting to wish I had spent the extra hundred. They charged me an extra 50 because they claimed she was still in heat. She finished over 5 weeks ago.

:rolleyes2:

Oh well, she is home safe, and I will just baby her for the next week.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 15th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Every spay or neuter I have had done on my animals i was given the option of pain meds. I was always asked. I was never given antibiotics. I was also told no baths & keep them calm for a few days
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » May 15th, 2006, 10:28 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Every spay or neuter I have had done on my animals i was given the option of pain meds. I was always asked. I was never given antibiotics. I was also told no baths & keep them calm for a few days

Yup, same here, and I always took the meds and gave them to the dogs -- helped to keep them quiet and not bother their incisions by bouncing around like lunatic bullies.

My vet usually gives an antibiotic shot right before the surgery (included in the price) so no antibiotics are needed at home.

In our area, the extra money for a dog in heat is normal. Even though she may not have had outward signs of being in heat, her uterus may have still been swollen. If that's the case, sometimes the bleeding is more intense when the vet removes the uterus so more suturing/cauterizing is needed. Fifty dollars extra isn't bad -- around here it's $75 to $100 depending on the vet office.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:32 pm

OK, I just have not had a spay done at the vets ever, the only spay I have had done was 6 years ago at the spca. Tallulah came spayed.

I would have liked to be able to give her pain meds tonight, but I guess sleeping it off is fine.

I was planning on just crate resting her for a few days, with kongs and such.

Sounds like I am just being critical out of worry :oops:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 15th, 2006, 10:39 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:OK, I just have not had a spay done at the vets ever, the only spay I have had done was 6 years ago at the spca. Tallulah came spayed.

I would have liked to be able to give her pain meds tonight, but I guess sleeping it off is fine.

I was planning on just crate resting her for a few days, with kongs and such.

Sounds like I am just being critical out of worry :oops:

You can always call the vet office tomorrow and say that she's painful and see if they'll give you some pain meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx). Be careful about giving too much aspirin because it's a blood thinner and can promote bleeding.

If she's a bit painful, as awful as it sounds, it will keep her from being too active. Crate rest is GREAT for a few days.

Also, if her incision seems to be really itchy/bothersome to her, you can spread a bit of Benadryl cream around the incision area -- just don't get it on the incision.

And, you're not being too critical -- you're being a good mom! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 15th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Don't use aspirin, it can thin the blood and cause her to bleed.
She should be better tomorrow. The first night is a bit tougher and especially on dogs over a year or so old.
The only time I got pain meds was when I had Libby's dewclaws taken off along with her spay.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby turtle » May 15th, 2006, 11:46 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Every spay or neuter I have had done on my animals i was given the option of pain meds. I was always asked. I was never given antibiotics. I was also told no baths & keep them calm for a few days

Same here but I never got the pain meds for them. They were sore and sad for the first day and then they were fine.

I felt that the pain would keep her from jumping around too much and she also just slept it off in her crate that first night. She did not eat that night either and would barely move.

I put Neosporin on her to help it heal, not much, just a little and she was fine. Nothing wrong wth being worried!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk