...With Heavy Heart *UPDATED*

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Natalie » October 22nd, 2009, 3:48 pm

Oh man. As Kera knows, I've been right where you guys are. We decided to have our guy put down and not a day goes by that I don't think about it and feel my heart broken. But at the same time, it's like freedom almost. We can go on our first vacation as a married couple, it's been 5 years since we've spent even a night away. We can leave the lower windows open and not worry a dog will jump through the screen to get at someone. I can have a male friend over without locking a dog in the bathroom. I was constantly worrying about what he might do, I couldn't trust him...ever. Dang, it sucks. If you feel like you did everything you could and he's still too much of a liability, then do what you have to do. Just know that there's a whole mess of people here to help you through it.
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » October 22nd, 2009, 5:39 pm

DemoDick wrote:He has had multiple opportunities to bite, and he has specifically avoided doing so. He is literally trying to figure out "How do I make Dad stop doing this without biting him?". Hence his repeated warnings without contact.
Point well taken. :)
Looks like we have a lot of work to do....

Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » October 22nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

Thank you to all who posted. As we had hoped, there was insight we needed to be led to, not being your dog trainer kind of folks.

All dogs and all temperments are not the same, you can't bundle them into one neat package, thank you Demo. You made the point quite eloquently. We understand Duke will take constant work, but we will try. It still may not work out, but if it doesn't we will be able to say we gave it our best shot and did not decide based on any bias we may be carrying with us about how dogs are suppose to act. We likely will have many questions along the way.

You guys are the best.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » October 22nd, 2009, 11:12 pm

:hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby HappyChick » October 22nd, 2009, 11:31 pm

Duke is one blessed dog!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » October 23rd, 2009, 4:14 am

That's so good to hear, Shanna & Bob. :) Duke is lucky to have you.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby airwalk » October 25th, 2009, 8:40 pm

CinderDee wrote:That's so good to hear, Shanna & Bob. :) Duke is lucky to have you.

true dat!
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » October 25th, 2009, 9:07 pm

How is it going so far?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » October 26th, 2009, 6:03 am

Duke is doing well. Of course, 99% of the time he does well. We are actively looking for a behaviorist for some additional guidance close to home. Not sure how successful we will be. Our other option is phone consultations. We'll just have to see how this one plays out.

I think Duke is a lucky dog to have you guys to keep us headed down the right path, and I (we) are grateful. It is hard to find me at a loss for words, but I don't know what else to say at this point. I will give a better update when we have additional info.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby fenella » October 29th, 2009, 11:57 pm

First, I am by no means an expert, but I did pick up on a couple of things you mentioned, so I am posting.
Second, I agree with the other posters here...it is 110% your decision. I 110% support whatever you decide to do.

hugapitbull wrote:With the other minor incidences he was verbally corrected and he acknowledged his response was not acceptable and was apologetic for his actions.

I think you may again be putting human emotions on the dog. From my limited understanding, Duke is probably reacting to the verbal correction, but may not be connecting it to what he did. Not to say I have never yelled at my dog...
I've seen many dogs look sheepish after a correction. Dogs that have torn apart the couch in the morning will look sheepish when their owner gets mad...but they are reacting to the human being mad, not apologizing for (or even recognizing) the action that they took earlier. It sounds as if yours is a more immediate correction, but the same theory applies.
I also see in a later post that you again mention corrections. Some may disagree, but I don't know that this is the route you want to take. Being corrected for giving warnings could lead to him stopping the warnings (not good). I think Duke sounds like a good candidate for clicker training. (A lot of this comes directly from people on this board...thanks to those of you who have given me this advice before!)
I know that you are having difficulty finding good trainers. Have you gotten any books?

http://www.clickingwithcanines.com/id6.html
lists a lot of good resources. I have read Click to Calm, and have found it very helpful. Haven't read Bringing Light to Shadow, but it is on my list.

I wish you all the best! It sounds like Duke is in very caring hands. I'm sure you will figure out what is best for all involved.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » November 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm

I hesitate to say we are all doing well, but thought some of you may want an update .

Duke is behaving frighteningly well. He is obedient and minds his manners in the house. He doesn't get into anything that isn't his (except Trouble's water bowl). He is more than respectful of Trouble. What she says goes. If she snarks at him, he immediately stops what he is doing. (At the moment he is washing her ears.) He takes turns with her when being fed treats, if you tell him 'no' he waits his turn. He is even starting to act better outside when other dogs are on the road (I said better as in some improvement, not better as in he will totally behave).

He has become very much the velcro dog. He is attached to one of us almost all the time. He will follow us from room to room and then lay patiently and wait to move again. In the last couple of weeks he has become much more loving. Before he liked to be petted, but never asked. Now he will approach us for a butt scratch or just a good 'pitty bull beating'.

We have not given up on the idea of having a trainer/behaviorist work with us, but have not yet got anyone lined out.

Neither of us has thought it was a great idea to check out his dew claws. From where I sit, it looks like they are right where they are suppose to be. :neener:

Again, I would like to express our appreciation for all the comments, suggestions, and good thoughts that came from this group. We wouldn't be where we are with him without you guys.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » November 9th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Yay!!! Wonderful update!!! :rock: :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » November 9th, 2009, 8:22 pm

:highfive: :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » November 10th, 2009, 6:08 pm

8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk