Truman the Lab has a death wish

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 22nd, 2009, 7:41 am

So I was ready for work a few minutes earlier than usual this morning so I decided to take Inara for a quick jaunt around my condo development. We make it to the end of the driveway and get bum-rushed by a barking and growling yellow Lab. These people recently moved in so Inara still gets worked up in general when she sees this dog, just because she's not used to it yet. But to have it come running up growling? Not cool.

I holler at the lady, "Get your dog, mine's not friendly!" And she's doing the ineffective, "Truman, come! Truman, come here. Come, come here Truman!" I was straddling Inara to keep her back and Truman was circling us growling and barking. I snarled at him to "git!" and he backed up a bit. Finally he went back to his owner but he didn't have a collar on (of course) so he immediately came rushing back to us. I'm just turning so I can keep facing him, while Inara is just itching for a piece of him but getting pissed 'cause I'm still straddling her and she can't go anywhere. Finally Truman decided we weren't worth it and went back to his owner.

I lit into her about the leash laws and she said, "there's not normally anybody out at this hour." I said it didn't matter, that a law is a law no matter who is around. I was PISSED.

(Joyce, I'd rather deal with your Truman than this Truman!)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TinaMartin » June 22nd, 2009, 11:17 am

Idiots suck! >(
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby maberi » June 22nd, 2009, 11:42 am

I do love my Lab but I coudln't agree with your more. I run into more offleash Labs when I'm running my guys than any other breed and usually they are not the friendliest of creatures.

I'll never understand why people can't contain their dogs :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » June 22nd, 2009, 12:16 pm

I think often people that get labs and Goldens thinking they'll be "insta-dogs", so they give them a lot more liberties and freedom, and don't do a lot of training.

That SUCKS. We run into offleash dogs a lot in the neighborhood we've moved to.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » June 22nd, 2009, 2:17 pm

Whew!! I thought my Truman was making the rounds throughout the country! 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » June 22nd, 2009, 4:24 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Whew!! I thought my Truman was making the rounds throughout the country! 8)

Me to, I thought this thread was about the pony.

I am sorry that Truman upset Inara.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » June 22nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Malli wrote:I think often people that get labs and Goldens thinking they'll be "insta-dogs", so they give them a lot more liberties and freedom, and don't do a lot of training.

Oh, yeah. That's really true around here. I'm always hearing, "But he's a LAB!", like he couldn't POSSIBLY cause a problem. :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby plebayo » June 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm

I think often people that get labs and Goldens thinking they'll be "insta-dogs", so they give them a lot more liberties and freedom, and don't do a lot of training.

I totally agree with this. It's really ironic too because I know a lot of aggressive labs and goldens. The media just doesn't like to target them as much as they target bully breeds.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » June 24th, 2009, 11:14 am

Marinepits wrote:Oh, yeah. That's really true around here. I'm always hearing, "But he's a LAB!", like he couldn't POSSIBLY cause a problem. :neutral:

I heard a very sad and upsetting story about a Golden Retriever this past weekend.

I was out with my parents and we went to their friend's house who had family visiting from California. They had a baby earlier this year, she was born by c-section 5 weeks early because she was hydrocephallic. She was a few days old when they put the first shunt in, then later had to do a second surgery because of problems, then a third. She's about 6 months old now, home and doing well.

The older of the two Goldens was 7, and the wife had had him since he was 8 weeks old. A few weeks ago he sniffed the baby and then growled/snarled at her (she specifically said that there were teeth involved). She explained to us that the dog thought he was "alpha" and that he needed to know that he was not "above the baby in the pack." I didn't ask for an explanation, or what they did after.

She said that they considered contacting a rescue, then decided not to.

The Friday before, the dog sniffed the baby, then bit her in the head. Yes, a real bite. As always, he could have put her in the hospital or even killed her if he wanted to, but she ended up with four cuts from his canines, so he grabbed her and meant harm.

They put him down on Sunday.

My jaw dropped. I wanted to ask half a million questions, but that would have been completely inappropriate. Some of the comments she made just screamed "Dog Whisperer" to me. How did they introduce the baby into the home? What did they do to train him? What steps did they take to make sure the dogs actually had some semblance of normalcy even with a very sick baby in the house? Training? Separation? etc etc etc etc etc

Of course, after the "alpha" comments came the "he just snapped" comments. He was so wonderful, then he "suddenly" grabbed the baby's head. Uh... a few weeks he sniffed her and then made a serious threat. He later followed that up with a bite. What part of that indicates that he "suddenly" snapped? What did you do to address that threat? (with visions of alpha rolls dancing in my head)

I felt horrible for them, but truly felt just as horrible for the dog... and a little part of me was thanking God that it wasn't any sort of bull breed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » June 24th, 2009, 11:21 am

I totally agree about the "insta-dog"...I love that...and unfortunately, I see it all too often. :neutral:

Michelle...what a tragic story, so sad for the baby and the dog. :(
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » June 24th, 2009, 11:39 am

mnp13 wrote:I heard a very sad and upsetting story about a Golden Retriever this past weekend......

I have torn feelings about situations like this.

Yes, the owners obviously missed the signs that there would be trouble, and who knows how they introduced the baby, trained the dog, etc.

There are so many potential reasons why the dog reacted the way that he did. Maybe he was insanely jealous that he wasn't getting all the attention anymore? Maybe he sensed something was "wrong" with the baby and decided to "take care of the problem"? Maybe he just didn't like the kid? Who knows?

Would the new parents have the time/effort to put in training the dog while dealing with a sick baby? Would they be WILLING to put in the time/effort when the baby needed all their focus?

It's a shame they didn't go the rescue route or contact a behaviourist, so no one will ever know if the dog was salvageable or not.

However, the baby comes first, so they did what they felt they HAD to do to protect their child. Not necessarily the decision I would have made, but.....what are ya gonna do? Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that I know more about dogs and what makes them tick than the average owner does and that the average owner is making their decisions based on their own level of dog experience. It sure makes me cringe when I hear stories like this, especially knowing that many things could have been tried to remedy the situation. But, then again, would the people have been able to manage training a dog throught these problems while dealing with a sick child? IME, that's something not a lot of people would be truly willing to do.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » June 24th, 2009, 12:10 pm

At least they didn't dump the dog at the shelter. I have mixed feelings about this, too. We all know things *could* have been done but they probably *wouldn't*have been done, ya know?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Pit Bull Talk