Duke

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby hugapitbull » May 6th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I first wrote about Duke in Our Departed Friends when I wrote of Angie's passing, his owner. I e-mailed the kennel where he is being homed to find out what I could about him. Here is the note I received.
Dear Shanna,
  Yes, Duke is available for fostering or adopting.  He is a wonderful dog.  We are not certain as to whether or not he has cancer yet.  The vet seems to think there is a good chance that he does.  He cannot keep weight on.  I think it is simply because he burns more calories in a day than what we can feed him.  We've been feeding him 4 cups of dry with a can of wet, two times a day.  He still is so skinny, yet he is full of muscle.  I think it is because he is just so active in his kennel.  It's a party with the pits at my kennel.  They are crazy in the kennel.  The entire back of my 50 Run kennel is pit haven.  They are like a bunch of social butterflies...they simply jump and bark and carry on all day.  I have one that can do back flips without even touching the walls.  I've tried moving Duke to a quieter area, but he hated it.  He fell into a deep depression and lost even more weight because he wouldn't eat. 
    Duke will not return to his former home.  The owner, Angie, died of brain cancer and the husband wants no part of him since he is a constant reminder of his wife.  Duke has a vet appointment in another week to find out more.  No, his expenses aren't being covered.  I have no donations since I'm not actually a rescue organization.   I took Duke because he needed a home, other than a dog pound.  I am paying for his vet costs out of my own pocket, because I believe Angie would have done so.  Sadly, if he does have cancer, I will not be able to afford to care for him.  With the economy, my business has declined to the point where all of our profit goes into the "winter" fun to help pay for heating costs.  Last year our heating costs were close to $23K in four months.  Yikes!   People just don't board their dogs, when they have no money to vacation.  If you can please post Duke's picture to pit bull enthusiasts that you know, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  I so badly want to see Duke in a loving home, instead of a 4x4 kennel.  He deserves much better. 
Thanks for your concern and for caring enough to ask.

I would love to be able to take Duke, but I have so many concerns. Can I care for another cancer dog if this diagnosis is confirmed? How will Trouble react to an extremely high drive, high energy addition to the family? Do we have the resources to pay for another bout of cancer treatments? I really just want this dog to have the happy loving home Angie would give him.

Feedback please.....

Oh, and here is the big handsome guy!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Gosh..... those are tough questions. I don't have answers for you, but I just wanted to say bravo for even bothering to check into Duke, you have such a big heart, it's way more than most people would do. He is a handsome boy.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2009, 11:45 pm

I agree w/Cathleen... bless you and Bob for even thinking about him.

In the end, it all comes down to doing what's best for everyone involved, especially Trouble... if you guys can handle the emotional stress of another *possible* cancer dog without it affecting Trouble adversely... well... I think it would work out okay.
Then again, I'm not in your shoes, so I won't push it either way.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » May 7th, 2009, 12:15 am

He's just beautiful. I would probably do it if it's not going to upset Trouble. That would be my first priority, as I'm sure it is yours.

You're wonderful for wanting to help him and I'm sure Angie appreciates it. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jenn » May 7th, 2009, 9:45 am

Sigh... :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » May 7th, 2009, 10:07 am

BullyLady wrote:..... I just wanted to say bravo for even bothering to check into Duke, you have such a big heart, it's way more than most people would do. He is a handsome boy.

+1 I hope you get the answers you need :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby hugapitbull » May 7th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Our thought process at this point is to take on Duke only if we can arrange for an alternate home for him should it not work with Trouble. That could be a person ready to take him in or even a rescue who could place him if needed. I think this is the only fair thing to do under the circumstance.

If any of you fit the bill, (or know someone who might) let me know :wave2:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Marinepits » May 7th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Sounds like a wonderful solution -- I hope you can find someone soon!

You're a great friend to Angie. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Our thought process at this point is to take on Duke only if we can arrange for an alternate home for him should it not work with Trouble. That could be a person ready to take him in or even a rescue who could place him if needed. I think this is the only fair thing to do under the circumstance.

If any of you fit the bill, (or know someone who might) let me know :wave2:

(((hugs))) Thank you for trying to help. You guys are the best.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby shady-angel » May 23rd, 2009, 9:31 pm

:wave2: Gosh he is a darling!
I wish I could afford another dog! I'd just have to worry about the fact that my dog would think he was looking into a mirror image of himself and try to kill it! :|
Duke is very similar to cujo in looks!
Hope it all works out!
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby Pit♥bull » May 23rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

shady-angel wrote::wave2: Gosh he is a darling!
I wish I could afford another dog! I'd just have to worry about the fact that my dog would think he was looking into a mirror image of himself and try to kill it! :|
Duke is very similar to cujo in looks!
Hope it all works out!
Shady,
You remember Angie from the newsgroup? She passed several weeks ago and duke was her boy.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby shady-angel » May 24th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Yes Angie was one cool person.
She and I were in email contact a while ago she sent me pics of duke and i sent her pics of cujo we thought they might be long lost brothers. :D

Her loss is great to this world. We need more people like her!
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby iluvk9 » May 25th, 2009, 7:23 am

Duke is quite the looker!

Why not "borrow him" for a few weeks to see how it goes?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » May 25th, 2009, 8:24 am

iluvk9 wrote:Duke is quite the looker!

Why not "borrow him" for a few weeks to see how it goes?

He's in Ohio. It's a long way to borrow him and then have to take him back. So far I've been unsuccessful at finding a 'wings' person. We are thinking more on the lines of how to crate and rotate and still keep them both happy if that is what has to be done. Ideally they will get along and the queen won't be possessive and/or protective of everything and everyone in the house.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby shady-angel » May 26th, 2009, 6:49 am

I really hope he finds a loving, good home! :goodthoughts:
I know that's what Angie would want. :hug3:
You are a very special person for the care you are taking for our departed friends baby. :loveU:
My good thoughts and vibes go out to you! :groupHug:
shady-angel
Kiwi

Postby hugapitbull » May 26th, 2009, 8:33 am

shady-angel wrote:I really hope he finds a loving, good home! :goodthoughts:
I know that's what Angie would want. :hug3:
You are a very special person for the care you are taking for our departed friends baby. :loveU:
My good thoughts and vibes go out to you! :groupHug:

I've kinda hit a brick wall. I've been calling since Wednesday trying to get an update from his vet visit the previous Friday (5/15) and have gotten nothing but an answering machine. I've tried just calling back and leaving messages. I did finally get a real person on Saturday who took my name and number, but haven't gotten a call back. I even sent an e-mail asking for info on where to send a donation, and so far no response.

Bob suggested we just drive up and get him and deal with any consequences as they come. :| We shall see.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » May 26th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Meet Duke :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 26th, 2009, 4:56 pm

He is SUCH a nice looking doggy!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm

He's gorgeous! Where is he in Ohio?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » May 26th, 2009, 6:06 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:He's gorgeous! Where is he in Ohio?
He's in Pataskala, Ohio
North and a little East of Columbus. :)
We're trying to make shipping arrangements now.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk